It’s now OFFICIAL!!! Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think Jennings took that joke a bit too seriously. Dont think Rodgers really ment it and a poor joke was taken the wrong way.
I don't think he really meant it either. Jennings was a good WR for us, why would he want to get rid of him? Unless he thought he was so great, he could take any group of receivers and make them great. Jennings was probably too sensitive about it, but Rodgers still shouldn't have said it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still think Jennings took that joke a bit too seriously. Dont think Rodgers really ment it and a poor joke was taken the wrong way.
Just a theory, but I am guessing that there was more behind what shaped Jennings feelings about Rodgers, than just that one incident.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a theory, but I am guessing that there was more behind what shaped Jennings feelings about Rodgers, than just that one incident.
Had to be. The team was at a point in which it could not keep all those weapons we had in 2011. Maybe Jennings wanted ARod to cop a plea to keep him on the roster somehow. You notice in later years Rodgers stuck his neck out with the front office to keep or get players. Back then he said very little.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Had to be. The team was at a point in which it could not keep all those weapons we had in 2011. Maybe Jennings wanted ARod to cop a plea to keep him on the roster somehow. You notice in later years Rodgers stuck his neck it with the front office to keep or get players. Back then he said very little.
Do you know that for sure?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Had to be. The team was at a point in which it could not keep all those weapons we had in 2011. Maybe Jennings wanted ARod to cop a plea to keep him on the roster somehow. You notice in later years Rodgers stuck his neck it with the front office to keep or get players. Back then he said very little.

When Jennings was here did Aaron say in media how good wr were?

I think that’s his point

We also don't know what was or wasn't said between the 2 of them, outside the public ear/view. Obviously, there was some hostility between the 2 and it could have been 1 or the others "fault" for it, but it usually takes 2 to tango. Without more info, I would say the sour grapes was probably on both of them.

D

Deleted member 6794

The fact is that the offense was different. That was an observable reality on the field. If you didn't notice or don't remember, that's fine. I do not feel compelled to convince you.

The opinion is why it was different. I happily concur that it's my opinion/theory that Rodgers was exerting leverage to make it so. I feel really good about that opinion, but obviously I cannot prove it because I don't have any direct evidence of what was going on within the organization.

There's absolutely no doubt the offense was different. But in my opinion a lack of talent at pass catchers as well as injuries on the offensive line were the primary reasons for that.

Yup, really seems like the Jets HC, Robert Saleh thinks that it is a waste of time for Rodgers to be at OTA's. :rolleyes:

Of course it makes sense for Rodgers to show up for OTAs with the Jets. He has only been there for less than a month. That doesn't mean him showing up for voluntary walk-throughs after 15 years with the Packers would have made any difference.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course it makes sense for Rodgers to show up for OTAs with the Jets. He has only been there for less than a month. That doesn't mean him showing up for voluntary walk-throughs after 15 years with the Packers would have made any difference.
Were last season's rookies there for less than a month, or were they with the Packers for 15 years?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you know that for sure?
If he had not only would it have been all over speculative media like it has been the last 6 years. And we would have been talking about it then as well. Know why? Because on offense we were loaded at the time. Rodgers even stated in that season that he was surrounded with so much talent and that he had the best TE in football. When questioned as to whether the Packers could run the ball in 2011 his answer was " Do we need to? " What QB says that about an offense? That is how confident and satisfied he was. But no way could we keep all we had in 2011. Rodgers knew that. Jennings knew that. And Driver knew his time was coming to an end. I believe Jennings wanted to be one of those who could stay and get paid his price. That was tough to swallow. You have Jones, Cobb, Jordy, Driver, Finley, and Jennings. Add Starks and Grant in the backfield. Then you have a shoddy defense that still had to pay Hawk and Matthews. You cannot please everyone.

D

Deleted member 6794

Were last season's rookies there for less than a month, or were they with the Packers for 15 years?

You obviously need to get a grip on what OTAs are for.

If he had not only would it have been all over speculative media like it has been the last 6 years. And we would have been talking about it then as well. Know why? Because on offense we were loaded at the time. Rodgers even stated in that season that he was surrounded with so much talent and that he had the best TE in football. When questioned as to whether the Packers could run the ball in 2011 his answer was " Do we need to? " What QB says that about an offense? That is how confident and satisfied he was. But no way could we keep all we had in 2011. Rodgers knew that. Jennings knew that. And Driver knew his time was coming to an end. I believe Jennings wanted to be one of those who could stay and get paid his price. That was tough to swallow. You have Jones, Cobb, Jordy, Driver, Finley, and Jennings. Add Starks and Grant in the backfield. Then you have a shoddy defense that still had to pay Hawk and Matthews. You cannot please everyone.

Just for the record, Jennings played another season with the Packers in 2012 before leaving in free agency.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's absolutely no doubt the offense was different. But in my opinion a lack of talent at pass catchers as well as injuries on the offensive line were the primary reasons for that.

Sincere question:

Can you explain to me why you think going to a more static, less disguised drop back passing game would be a sensible reaction to a lack of pass catchers and injuries on the OL? Anyway I think about it, that only exacerbated the problems. Hence, I don't put much stock in that theory.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sincere question:

Can you explain to me why you think going to a more static, less disguised drop back passing game would be a sensible reaction to a lack of pass catchers and injuries on the OL? Anyway I think about it, that only exacerbated the problems. Hence, I don't put much stock in that theory.
we had a lot of mixing going on with the OL, we had injuries to our young WR's who were out as much as they were in, including practice week to week at points all through the season. I think the most likely answer is the simplest answer, adding "disguise" and motions and reads with guys who don't know the base offense is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure the motion man is going to cause some shift in the defense and that will affect the play once the balls is snapped. Or at least it's supposed to work that way.

I don't think much of that OL or pass catchers were up to the task and even if so, half the season who were we going to run it with? Cobb? a guy posing very little threat to get around an edge is not going to generate the same stress on the defense. They're just going to play it as pass and he's not the guy to stress a defense with motion. Too limited at this point in his career.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
we had a lot of mixing going on with the OL, we had injuries to our young WR's who were out as much as they were in, including practice week to week at points all through the season. I think the most likely answer is the simplest answer, adding "disguise" and motions and reads with guys who don't know the base offense is a recipe for disaster. I'm sure the motion man is going to cause some shift in the defense and that will affect the play once the balls is snapped. Or at least it's supposed to work that way.

I don't think much of that OL or pass catchers were up to the task and even if so, half the season who were we going to run it with? Cobb? a guy posing very little threat to get around an edge is not going to generate the same stress on the defense. They're just going to play it as pass and he's not the guy to stress a defense with motion. Too limited at this point in his career.

I just disagree with this.

The time that LaFleur’s design would be most important is when the offense lacks weapons that can create for themselves and the OL is struggling to hold up in the drop back game.

And I just don’t accept the explanation that the backups didn’t know the offense well enough. This was LaFleur’s fourth season. Motion and condensed sets aren’t advanced, highly nuanced concepts. Doesn’t it seem a lot more likely that it was Rodgers’ influence given, for instance, that we know he doesn’t like using motion?

I can’t imagine a scenario in which LaFleur says “I’m missing pieces and therefore it will help to abandon several tenets of my offensive philosophy.”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll never know. If MLF truly gave over everything to Rodgers then he is the wrong man for this job and both should have been sent packing.

But on the flip side, I don't think Rodgers is naive enough nor obtuse to the degree he'd have to be to ignore 2 prior MVP seasons and what got him there to say, Listen guys, I want to do it this way instead.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess we'll never know. If MLF truly gave over everything to Rodgers then he is the wrong man for this job and both should have been sent packing.

But on the flip side, I don't think Rodgers is naive enough nor obtuse to the degree he'd have to be to ignore 2 prior MVP seasons and what got him there to say, Listen guys, I want to do it this way instead.

When your back to back MVP quarterback signs a contract that makes him the highest paid player in NFL history, he has some leverage. LaFleur wouldn't be the first coach to have to compromise with a very influential player.

I don't think Rodgers is naive nor obtuse. I think he is highly, highly confident in his own abilities to the point of hubris.

Reaction score

It’s no coincidence. Rodgers had plenty of room for improvement in 2022 and that aligns with not being fully committed. In addition he’s no longer a Packer and that part speaks volumes to me. I’m not sure how some of his staunch supporters can still be in denial as to the cause of that. He wouldn’t even answer phone calls. Brian tried to meet with Aaron on several occasions after the season and Aaron completely stonewalled him. That was before him not answering phone calls weeks later. It’s really bordering on childish behavior. Meanwhile, in the same breath, Aaron tries to sell the public of how good their relationship was and how thankful he was to Brian. Now Aaron is a pretty crafty liar and it’s possible he might really have you fooled, but he’s been caught too many times. I’m not that gullible snd he’s nowhere close to fooling me. I’ve been around a little too long and learned discernment the hard way. You guys can keep trying to convince me of Rodgers high character and commitment level.., I’ll just kept smiling back and be as courteous as I can
We don’t need phony in Green Bay.
We need authentic. From what I’ve seen, Jordan is authentic as they come. I’ll take my chances with high character, it wears well.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sincere question:

I can step into that one, at least weigh in.

Other than Cobb and Lazard, every other receiver was brand new to MLF's scheme. Three rookies and Watkins. The two established vets, and to be clear, I like both of them in certain roles, are physically limited. Watkins routinely made mistakes/ran the wrong routes. Going away from motion was an attempt to simplify the scheme, hopefully to get all these new bodies to stop ******** up.

The offensive line being injured made our running game less effective.

The lack of quality pass catchers meant they were easier to cover.

The lack of experienced pass catchers meant the scheme was kept simple, which made people easier to cover.

The ease of which the opposition could cover people made it advantageous to play heavy boxes and sell out against the run.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just disagree with this.

The time that LaFleur’s design would be most important is when the offense lacks weapons that can create for themselves and the OL is struggling to hold up in the drop back game.

And I just don’t accept the explanation that the backups didn’t know the offense well enough. This was LaFleur’s fourth season. Motion and condensed sets aren’t advanced, highly nuanced concepts. Doesn’t it seem a lot more likely that it was Rodgers’ influence given, for instance, that we know he doesn’t like using motion?

I can’t imagine a scenario in which LaFleur says “I’m missing pieces and therefore it will help to abandon several tenets of my offensive philosophy.”

The best receiver on the team was a developmental, raw rookie receiver…and the second best was a late round rookie receiver. You really think MLF trusted those two, and Watkins, to run a fully formed offense? I think it’s very likely that the offense had to be significantly toned down so that the young guys knew where they were supposed to be and what they were supposed to be doing.

Defenses were able to contain the young receivers more easily (because their route trees were basic and their ability to beat coverage wasn’t great) which meant the defense could focus more on the areas where MLF’s offense was able to be more fully implemented.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You guys are assuming that the way they were playing was easier for the receivers, which is a faulty premise.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You obviously need to get a grip on what OTAs are for.

Just for the record, Jennings played another season with the Packers in 2012 before leaving in free agency.
I know that. Driver played in 2012 also before retiring. It was just a matter of time before the dollars and the numbers catch up. To improve a defense you need better players and a better DC. Thompson's approach was draft CBs and keep Capers around. And maybe an old Julius Peppers will come along for a cheap price. The Packers socked a lot of money into 3 players: Rodgers, Nelson, and Matthews. They got to one SB early in their careers and that was it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sincere question:

@Mondio, @mradtke66 and @Sunshinepacker already explained it perfectly. It's fine you don't agree with it but in my opinion it's significantly more realistic as well that the coaching staff had to simplify the scheme to make up for an inexperienced group of wide receivers as well as injuries on the offensive line compared to the suggestion that Rodgers went rogue because he gained leverage by signing an extension.

While it was MLF's fourth season with the team it was the first one for four of the six most targeted receivers on the roster.

If I remember correctly you were one of the posters suggesting that it took Rodgers a full season to learn the details of MLF's system despite him being a veteran who had proven to be one of the smartest players in the league. Yet that shouldn't apply to several first year receivers for some reason?

You guys are assuming that the way they were playing was easier for the receivers, which is a faulty premise.

The coaching staff reducing the complexity of the scheme definitely made it easier for the receivers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only because i assume good coaching. I can’t imagine a competent coach throwing a complex offense into a rookie’s lap (especially a rookie like Watson who was known to be extremely raw coming out of college).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Mondio, @mradtke66 and @Sunshinepacker

While it was MLF's fourth season with the team it was the first one for four of the six most targeted receivers on the roster.

That is a slip of semantics there IMO...Watkins was no rookie to the league and I don't think should just be slipped in with the rookies in the same manner...nor does it acknowledge that targets don't solely go to WRs. Our targets by players:

Lazard - 100
Jones - 72
Doubs - 67
Tonyan - 67
Watson - 66
Cobb - 50
Dillon - 43
Watkins - 22
Deguara - 15
Toure - 10
Amari Rodgers - 8
Lewis - 7
Davis - 7
Winfree - 4
Taylor - 1
Bakh - 1

Only three rookies are on that list or guys that would have been in their first

Let's look at the Chiefs last year.....2 of their top 3 targeted players were first year on that team guys...4 of their top 8 most targeted first year guys...5 of their 6 WRs targeted the whole season were first year guys with that team.