Is this defense really any good?

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only think that you can go by is that they are 7th vs the pass, 23rd vs the run and 9th overall. the def can't be completly held accountable for pts allowed. the obviously let them in the endzone, but they can't control a favre int returned to the 20 or a gado fumbled recovered at the 30.

the ravens were ranked 6th overall last yr, 8th vs the run, 10th vs the pass.

they are ranked exactly the same this yr. what's changed? field position. fumbles and ints on your own side of the field will kill you everytime.

i think that the D has had a nice turnaround, esp considering the times they have to go back out after a 3 and out with no rest.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its only bates and tt first year give it a chance on defense all we need is a few young veterans that know how to play on a high level, and are not to old that they will retire after 2 seasons

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a statistic that is misleading. The Packers are 9th best defense in yardage.

Well when you keep turning the ball over the other team has short drives in order to score.

The Packers are 23rd against the rush. If the other team is ahead in the game and running successfully there is no need to pass.

The Packers are 9th against the pass. They are 17th in points allowed but I have not kept track of how many were scored on offensive turnovers.

Three Eagle back ups played on the line and they got their first running back 100 yard game of the season.

When some one tells you the Packers have a top ten defense, it is a misleading stat.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this was a dead last defense last year, now we are in the middle of the pack (even with carroll and roman, which amazes me). If we can take another step forward next year with the bates system, watch out world!

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CurlyBear said:
If you compare it to the bears defense, you really can't say it's very good..

I even doubt you can say it's any good.

If you saw any of the packer games last year you would think its awesome

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sixone220 said:
the only think that you can go by is that they are 7th vs the pass, 23rd vs the run and 9th overall. the def can't be completly held accountable for pts allowed. the obviously let them in the endzone, but they can't control a favre int returned to the 20 or a gado fumbled recovered at the 30.

the ravens were ranked 6th overall last yr, 8th vs the run, 10th vs the pass.

they are ranked exactly the same this yr. what's changed? field position. fumbles and ints on your own side of the field will kill you everytime.

i think that the D has had a nice turnaround, esp considering the times they have to go back out after a 3 and out with no rest.

just wondering if you actually watch the games? b/c seems like when the game is on the line, the defence just crumbles. like on mon. nite when the vikes just plowed right over the packers defence and kicked a fg w/3 sec left.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course i watch the games, but yards given up is a true measuring stick for defenses. it seems like they get tired at the end? could it be because they get off the field and don't even get to the gatorade but thurman coughs up a KO? they barely sit down and brett throws a pick? the chin strap is barely undone and gado fumbles? now i'm not saying that this is always the case and they are a fairly young inexperienced group and this things will happen sometimes. my pt is that they are big boys. they run around for 5-7 mins on a long drive and finally get off the field only to see thurman fumble 30 secs later. grady and the boys are naturally wiped and don't get pressure up front. harris had just got done chasing guys 30-50 yds downfield and now he's right back out there.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm hoping if the packers get a top 5 pick in the april draft they go after a defensive stud. i'd really llike to see a.j. hawk on the packers. then add tambi hali in the second and champ baily in free-agency. if we want a winning tradition in lambeau again, i feel the defence must improve. the packers are young on defence, but i feel we still need another play-maker.

Members online

Latest posts