Is the Pack rebuilding?

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like we are now in a stage of semi-rebuilding. Wouldn't this action make more sense after we know Brett is gone. Wouldn't we want to keep at least Reug. Now Sharper is leaving, Jue is gone, who is going to step up and give Brett the team he needs, wait...deserves. And why are we not going out and making offers to some free agents we could use. God knows we have to have a ton of money with 3 guys leaving who had big paychecks. I thought having TT come in would be a good thing, now I just dont know. Where is Wolf when you need him. Couldn't this have waited a year until Brett does decide to retire. It seems as if he is just getting nothing back from the organization this offseason, its like they want him to retire. I love the Packers and will be there through good and bad, but some of these moves have me shaking my head. Hopefully this changes in the coming weeks. I know its a business, just wanted some input from the rest of you all.

IU_packfan

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we are - then I'd like to take a gander at this boy....

"Jurevicius, just released by the bucs on Cap issues...."

This guy was a menace against us - he'd be the perfect match on the opposite side from Javon Walker - I'm not kiddin'... if TT could sign this guy to a semi decent contract - we'd be like flint... and with Double D in there as a third - we'd be like the Colts - spreadin em wide downfield all day long!

Hey - it could happen.. We now know tha tMaybery & Rosum are no longer options - so who else you guys gonna put on 'your' wish lists...

I'll take Jurevicius! He's tall and runs like Herman Moore
- He could even fill in as a TE.

Whoever gets this guys will have a diamond to shine up like a brand new penny!

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Jurevicius, but man would I like to see Favre throwing to Drew Bennett. Without even that mid-late season explosion, he's always been a pleasure to watch.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IU_packfan said:
God knows we have to have a ton of money

oh yeah, just tons of money :D

in case you don't keep up on the cap issues, most of that was just to get under the cap.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most recent info I saw has GB 2.7M below the cap. That money will have to go to Bubba if no one else makes a bid for his services. GB is definitely in rebuild mode now and next year doesn't look any better w/ Davenport, Green, Driver, and maybe Bubba and I am sure others?

OP
OP
I

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh yeah, just tons of money

in case you don't keep up on the cap issues, most of that was just to get under the cap

i wasnt that up on the cap till now, everything seems to make more sense now. thanks for the info

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Most recent info I saw has GB 2.7M below the cap. That money will have to go to Bubba if no one else makes a bid for his services. GB is definitely in rebuild mode now and next year doesn't look any better w/ Davenport, Green, Driver, and maybe Bubba and I am sure others?

maybe thats why we're seeing these questionable moves as of late...so we can lock these guys down next year?? who knows..

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'only' way I see Green Bay keeping Sharper at this point is if... if, mind you, Jim Bates steps up to block his release. But, the more I think about it... naaah, that ain't gonna happen! TT's avid about bringing back solvency to the pocket book at Lambeau - that appears to be first & foremost on his agenda.... everyone and everything takes a back seat to that operation. We'll see no more of this rob Peter to pay Paul nonsense we saw with Sherman. Maybe in a year or two, we can be like the Vikings with 25mil to spare.... :twisted:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Sharper's release will allow for more cap room....at least 5mil, I figure.

According to a source with National Football League salary information, the Packers were $2.7 million below the $85.5 million salary cap as of Thursday. If they cut safety Darren Sharper, as expected, they will clear another $3.4 million and be roughly $6 million beneath the cap.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/mar05/307003.asp

This was of March 4th.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
slackerbacker said:
Most recent info I saw has GB 2.7M below the cap. That money will have to go to Bubba if no one else makes a bid for his services.

I honestly do not think Bubba will command over $3.0 mil which is between $600,000-$700,000 more then his tag number. that is why I think the Packers tag him that way. If a team offers around $3 mil, then the Packers only have to add that $6-7 amount, and who knows, maybe no one will want to pay more then what that tag numer is, and the Packers avoid losing him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed - the position does NOT cmmand any more than that - It'd be a miracle if the Bubba Franks situation actually caused that number to rise, across the board for the whole NFL.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know anything about the cap or how it all comes together; it's very confusing if you ask me. From what I've read, GB will owe Bubba approx 2.5M unless they can workout a long term deal. The tag placed on him requires a 2M - 2.7M 1 year salary if nothing better is offered or worked out w/ him.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i signed everyone to long term deals, have a 3 time defending super bowl champion on the field, sign all the FA's i want and still have plenty of cap room.

real life can't be that far from madden right? :wink:

Members online

Latest posts