Is Rodgers All In?

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahaha Fair enough about taking away those other QBs too - probably anyway.

The LUCK factor regarding Ted drafting Rodgers was the fact that Rodgers fell that far after being speculated to be either him or Alex Smith as the #1 overall pick.

I've said in various forums - and often been disagreed with on this also - Super Bowls are less important than consistently having excellent regular seasons - 13 or 14 wins the past three seasons for example. I BET that a lot of the same people disagreeing and claiming Super Bowls are the only thing worth talking about are the same people propping up Ted Thompson in spite of his failure to maximize the team by bringing in the best supporting cast for Aaron Rodgers.

I'll take Gutekunst and his way of GMing over Ted any day.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd have been the first to admit there's a little luck involved, It's not a detriment. But not only did he build 2 rosters here capable of playing for super bowls, he also built most of Seattle's super bowl team too. He was not perfect, but was pretty good at his job.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No. I mean "by hurting" is he hurting the teams' chances at a SB - no.
So this goes in the basket of "what do you believe "

could attending every single moment with new teammates make your bond stronger so you can be on the "same page"?

or do you think that a few extra days together in June doesn't meant anything

its all personal preference imo

Personally....I think every single minute you spend with NEW teammates can only help

others don't think it matters

so what side of fence are you on

Reaction score
I think it matters to get extra time to get to know his new receivers. Although there would be many seasons I could care less, this season isn’t one of those situations.

As a sidenote, I feel it has mainly been Rodgers who has needed to “trust” his Receivers. I don’t think that’s a big secret. These segments are good ways to get that extra needed time. It’s as beneficial to him as anyone, so he can get that trust going.

Why in the world, when the entire NFL is watching you after several tumultuous off-seasons. would you not just show up if even for a day or two and put the issue to rest. For once just do the right thing for heavens sakes. Don’t make us Packer fans have to defend you for once. What is more important than proving with actions your verbal commitment? He keeps verbally saying he’s 100% committed because when you don’t show people ask. Aaron had a great (and simple) opportunity to display that commitment. Now it’s our fault for asking, we’re demonizing and character assassins. It’s comical!

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Devils advocate here. The new receivers are more likely to make mistakes right out of the chute, like at OTA's when they are learning the system. Plenty of opportunities for Rodgers to not have confidence in them. Maybe at Training Camp after having time to study the play book they would have a better chance of gaining his trust.

Reaction score
Devils advocate here. The new receivers are more likely to make mistakes right out of the chute, like at OTA's when they are learning the system. Plenty of opportunities for Rodgers to not have confidence in them. Maybe at Training Camp after having time to study the play book they would have a better chance of gaining his trust.
I think that could absolutely be true.

That said. Why not just get to know these new employees as humans? Why not display your commitment by being at a few meetings that aren’t mandatory.

Show up for a bowling event?

Is that too much to ask?

There’s more to team building than timing on a “go route”. I don’t think people understand how motivating it would’ve been for these young guys to have this guy they looked up to show up in person. Total missed opportunity to build trust and form new relationships.

Hopefully he’ll just trot in and take us to a SB and never bat an eye. We finally have the Defense for it.
That would be just wonderful

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this goes in the basket of "what do you believe "

could attending every single moment with new teammates make your bond stronger so you can be on the "same page"?

or do you think that a few extra days together in June doesn't meant anything

its all personal preference imo

Personally....I think every single minute you spend with NEW teammates can only help

others don't think it matters

so what side of fence are you on
I think there are two, separate issues:

1 - Does Rodgers missing OTAs hurt the Packers chances of winning a SB? - No. (What if he had Covid and wasn't there? Would we think the SB just slipped through our hands? No. And people would say it's silly to even suggest it.)

2 - Would Rodgers attending OTAs have improved the relationship with guys he's never met before, especially the new WRs? Get things off to a good start, so to speak? - Yes, absolutely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain. With all due respect. I’m pretty good (much better than average) at discernment.

With all due respect, even if you're truly better at discernment than the average person there's no way for anyone to fairly evaluate Rodgers' character without knowing him personally.

I’d respect that Defense much more though, had you not said all you care about is him winning and the rest of his off field stuff is not important.

Don't get me wrong, I want Rodgers and any other Packer for that matter to stay out of trouble off the field. I'm not interested in rumors, who they're dating etc. though.

I've said in various forums - and often been disagreed with on this also - Super Bowls are less important than consistently having excellent regular seasons - 13 or 14 wins the past three seasons for example. I BET that a lot of the same people disagreeing and claiming Super Bowls are the only thing worth talking about are the same people propping up Ted Thompson in spite of his failure to maximize the team by bringing in the best supporting cast for Aaron Rodgers.

While I agree that it's amazing the Packers have been a contender for a very long time it would have been nice to win at least another Super Bowl with Rodgers though.

But not only did he build 2 rosters here capable of playing for super bowls, he also built most of Seattle's super bowl team too.

Thompson doesn't deserve any credit for the Seattle's Super Bowl winning roster. The 2013 Seahawks didn't feature a single player from the time Thompson worked there.

Why in the world, when the entire NFL is watching you after several tumultuous off-seasons.

Rodgers was only responsible for one tumultuous offseason in 2021. After not showing up for OTAs and minicamp he went on to win another MVP. Therefore I guess it's fair him not showing up for voluntary workouts this year should be considered a non-issue.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think there are two, separate issues:

1 - Does Rodgers missing OTAs hurt the Packers chances of winning a SB? - No. (What if he had Covid and wasn't there? Would we think the SB just slipped through our hands? No. And people would say it's silly to even suggest it.)

2 - Would Rodgers attending OTAs have improved the relationship with guys he's never met before, especially the new WRs? Get things off to a good start, so to speak? - Yes, absolutely.
If #2 is true, wouldn't that help #1?

imo it would

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If #2 is true, wouldn't that help #1?

imo it would
Well it could only help the team if Rodgers showed up at OTAs. I thought he should have been there. It's what - one or two weeks? And it's even more irritating for a guy making $50 mil/year. Even that's not the point. It's a sign of team unity on a team that's had a lot of changes at WR, and it addresses MLF's desire that everyone be present. Anyway, I agree with you.

Reaction score
Despite Rodgers being paid a ton of money OTAs are voluntary for him as well.

He even helped the Packers save $0.05 million of cap space by not showing up :D
Aww. So Cute. I like saving Cap ;)

If I see a family is moving into the house next door.. and is struggling to back into their driveway to unload.. however, it just happens to be my first day of vacation and I’ve got an list of tasks I prepare for my trip tomorrow. Is it mandatory I go help them out? NO.

Maybe I could just take a moment to welcome them to the neighborhood?

Maybe at the bones minimum, I could Introduce myself and offer my contact info if they need anything?

It’s not mandatory. Truth be told I’ve got a pretty good excuse not to get involved.

The argument of being “mandatory” takes third fiddle compared to putting others before ourselves in certain situations. Lending our time when it’s NOT REQUIRED is possibly the most important thing we will ever do in our collective lifetimes.
OTA’s are NOT about who wins the Egg Toss Event (Go Blake M.!!) or about who Bowls a 200+ game!

We all take pride in saying we’re a fan base who doesn’t wear “Rose Colored Glasses”, time to live it.
So the answer is NO
Aaron Rodgers is NOT all in.

Some teams would’ve been hurt by missing OTA more than us though. #12 is absolutely talented enough to overcome these missed opportunities. Thankfully, This entire team is talented enough to overcome obstacles.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well yeah, of course. If he shows up he's gonna meet the new guys. And moot, not mute, FWIW ;)
As far as the Covid example. That’s a really good physical example and leads to an entire other argument:

Let’s say Training camp rolls around and Aaron tested positive for Covid. Now we have

2 weeks of OTA’s (no show)
1-2 weeks of Training Camp
(Can’t show)

Water under the bridge now though

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or.................... instead of ignoring you I muted you.
Don’t get into standup comedy. I don’t want you to get hurt with foreign objects being tossed onto the stage :x3:

If you do, get a cage like those Blues Brothers had. I can come up and help you sing Rawhide until we make a getaway. I get the John Belushi part though, you play Akroid

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t get into standup comedy. I don’t want you to get hurt with foreign objects being tossed onto the stage :x3:

If you do, get a cage like those Blues Brothers had. I can come up and help you sing Rawhide until we make a getaway. I get the John Belushi part though, you play Akroid
Bring lots of chicken wire for the stage or you'll get beaned by beer bottles. (How's that for alliteration?!?)

D

Deleted member 6794

OTA’s are NOT about who wins the Egg Toss Event (Go Blake M.!!) or about who Bowls a 200+ game!

OTAs are mostly about conditioning, installments and mental preparation.

Rodgers being around wouldn't help any of them with learning the offense that's actually run on game days as long as they don't even know the basics of the scheme.

So the answer is NO

In my opinion Rodgers will be all in once camp rolls around and that's all I actually care about.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aww. So Cute. I like saving Cap ;)

If I see a family is moving into the house next door.. and is struggling to back into their driveway to unload.. however, it just happens to be my first day of vacation and I’ve got an list of tasks I prepare for my trip tomorrow. Is it mandatory I go help them out? NO.

Maybe I could just take a moment to welcome them to the neighborhood?

Maybe at the bones minimum, I could Introduce myself and offer my contact info if they need anything?

It’s not mandatory. Truth be told I’ve got a pretty good excuse not to get involved.

The argument of being “mandatory” takes third fiddle compared to putting others before ourselves in certain situations. Lending our time when it’s NOT REQUIRED is possibly the most important thing we will ever do in our collective lifetimes.

We all take pride in saying we’re a fan base who doesn’t wear “Rose Colored Glasses”, time to live it.
So the answer is NO

Some teams would’ve been hurt by missing OTA more than us though. #12 is absolutely talented enough to overcome these missed opportunities. Thankfully, This entire team is talented enough to overcome obstacles.
I don't think Rodgers' absence at OTAs will have any impact on where they finish this season.

But MLF expressed a desire to have everyone there. It's what, 1 or 2 week out of his life? It would mean the world to the new players to meet a guy they've probably been following forever. That can't hurt. He should have been there. That's all.

Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers' absence at OTAs will have any impact on where they finish this season.

But MLF expressed a desire to have everyone there. It's what, 1 or 2 week out of his life? It would mean the world to the new players to meet a guy they've probably been following forever. That can't hurt. He should have been there. That's all.
It’s obviously hard to quantify building relationships. Yet I think it’s safe to say that building relationships and the trust that comes with it is one of the more important things in our lifetime. Our relationship with God, our relationship with our family, friends, work associates. Our entire life is a result that started from 1 relationship. So I don’t need to argue the incredible importance of relationships. I need only remind those who sometimes forget. As humans we have an extremely short memory. To reiterate what we already know. Relationships require effort and sacrifice. The level you put in is the level you get out. 99% effort and sacrifice will not or never get you 100% results. It might be good enough to Win it all or it might be 1% short of the goal.

Football is NOT some lone exception to that concept. If anything, sports is the epitome of what personal relationships can become. Not even to mention the next generation, who learns from us and our commitment level (or lack thereof) which is in full display in every aspect of our lives.

Aaron Rodgers continually regurgitates that he’s 100% committed with words, he wouldn’t have to say those words if he really was. We’d already know it.

For myself and what I’ve witnessed personally is the most dynamic thing regarding commitment levels.
Aaron actually has the smarts of a college 400+ level professor… and the wisdom of a Toddler, to the point Solomon himself would’ve been stupefied. :tdown:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts