Is Rodgers All In?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won a SB with a lot of backups (depth).

If the Packers were to ever be sold, all of the proceeds go to the Boys and Girls Club, so that will never happen. (club bylaws IIRC).
Thanks Packer Fan. In all my years, this is the first time I ever heard someone suggest that the Packers could be sold. It's unthinkable.

Thanks for providing this info and hopefully putting this to rest.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my Sons knows his Brother Jordan, and JoJo. Based on what I know from them, I doubt very much if any of us has a handle on who Aaron is, inside, or what really makes him tick.

I think this is the best description of Rodgers:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." Henry David Thoreau
I know the lady who was Aaron's bike kid in early days

he would go over a lot and hang out with the kid. Would go to the kids football games

from what I know he doesn't have any contact with him now

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hahahahahahaha I didn't expect to get much agreement with my negativity about Ted Thompson. As I said, I'm not really convinced myself that his intention was somehow to pave the way for a move to L.A. or wherever. However, I am firmly convinced that for whatever reason, Ted never maximized the talent of the team. THAT is the reason we haven't won more championships in the Rodgers years - insufficient talent surrounding Rodgers, who I am also firmly convinced that Ted got lucky drafting. What Gutekunst has done the past few years says volumes about what Ted could have done but didn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do recall the exodus of talent from the FO. Weren't a lot of those guys brought in by Ron Wolf?

True, both McKenzie and Dorsey who went on to become general managers with other teams were hired by Wolf.

I never had a high opinion of Ted Thompson. IMO, he never maximized what the Packers had (like Gutekunst does a pretty good job of). I even had the kinda paranoid thought about Ted for a while that maybe he saw his mission as dragging the Packers down to enough of an extent that the team lost support and got moved elsewhere. Then lucking into the Rodgers draft pick made that impossible. That's far-fetched, and I don't totally believe it myself, but it seemed that way for a while.

Thompson did a far better job than you give him credit for. While I definitely would have liked him to use free agency more often most of his teams were successful.

As a side note, drafting Rodgers was actually one of his first moves as the team's general manager. Not sure he would have been able to drag down the team before that.

That’s irony at it’s best isn’t it?

We now have to have that as a standard to form an opinion? Cmon. That’s defending a player on a entirely different level. By your self admission you nullified your own position. Unless you hang out with him.

Also your claim means that hardly anyone in here can form an opinion of any players, unless they are personal friends? Or we played football with him? Ok

Which Packers roster players do you know on a personal level? Do you know any staff?

Actually, it might be a reasonable approach to not form an opinion about any player's personality, or of any other human being for that matter, solely based on seeing them on TV or reading about them in the media.

That's why I'm not interested in anything else than their performance on the field as I'm well aware that I know diddly-squat about their personality.

Last edited by a moderator:

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, both McKenzie and Dorsey who went on to become general managers with other teams were hired by Wolf.

Thompson did a far better job than you give him credit for. While I definitely would have liked him to use free agency more often most of his teams were successful.

As a side note, drafting Rodgers was actually one of his first moves as the team's general manager. Not sure he would have been able to drag down the team before that.

Actually, it might be a reasonable approach to not form an opinion about any player's personality, or of any other human being for that matter, solely based on seeing them on TV or reading about them in the media.

That's why I'm not interested in anything else than their performance on the field as I'm well aware that I know diddly-squat about their personality.
I'll just simply say those teams won in spite of Ted, not because of him. Any plan to intentionally drag down the team - if there even was such a plan - was foiled by lucking into getting Rodgers and having him turn out to be so great.

I agree with your last line about judging players by what we see on the field.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll just simply say those teams won in spite of Ted, not because of him. Any plan to intentionally drag down the team - if there even was such a plan - was foiled by lucking into getting Rodgers and having him turn out to be so great.
While I wouldn't go that far - Thompson did build the Super Bowl team, that's just the fact - I thought he kind of lucked into Woodson as well. But still, he pulled the trigger when others didn't on both Rodgers and Woodson, so you have to give him that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lucked into Our All pro left tackle, lucked into Clay Matthews, BJ Raji, Mike Daniels, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Mason Crosby, Kenny Freaking Clark etc, etc. or the guys he found he didn't draft, Tramon, Sam Shields, FA's like Pickett and Charles.

The man was good at his job, people just didn't like how he didn't use FA. some of our absolute best players on this team TODAY are Ted Thompson picks and people act like he just bumbled thru his job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lucked into Our All pro left tackle, lucked into Clay Matthews, BJ Raji, Mike Daniels, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Mason Crosby, Kenny Freaking Clark etc, etc. or the guys he found he didn't draft, Tramon, Sam Shields, FA's like Pickett and Charles.

The man was good at his job, people just didn't like how he didn't use FA. some of our absolute best players on this team TODAY are Ted Thompson picks and people act like he just bumbled thru his job.
Nice list of the stars he drafted. TT just had a strict draft and develop philosophy. Actually that would work if all a GM's draft produced at least two starters. Alas it's not that easy and FA is required. But TT wasn't lucky. TT was good. And he brought home a Lombardi. End of story.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice list of the stars he drafted. TT just had a strict draft and develop philosophy. Actually that would work if all a GM's draft produced at least two starters. Alas it's not that easy and FA is required. But TT wasn't lucky. TT was good. And he brought home a Lombardi. End of story.
That was just off the top of my head, Sitton, Lang, Adams, Cobb, Collins,. If I sit more I'll probably think of another handful. The guy was good at his job.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was just off the top of my head, Sitton, Lang, Adams, Cobb, Collins,. If I sit more I'll probably think of another handful. The guy was good at his job.
Yeah he was - a great evaluator of talent. I'd be curious how his UDFAs did as well.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a solid list of players there, no doubt about it. You don't get a list like that through luck.

But, that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
That's why I'm not interested in anything else than their performance on the field

You don't get to know a person by listening to press conferences or by reading articles about him. I'm quite sure you have never talked to him in person or to anyone who has spent time with him in the locker room or off the field. Therefore I stand by what I mentioned earlier,

Yeah. You and I are definitely polar opposites in that regard. I don’t give players a pass off the field just because they are great athletes. Actually in many cases, neither do NFL teams.. ask Kingsley Keke.

Often the most harmful things done to employers reputations, to the locker room environment and regarding team-player relations are done after the final whistle blows.

I guess you must think the Packers organization is really strange, because they don’t fit your position even remotely.
I think Character is very important to the Packers organization. You are probably thinking I’m off my rocker, I probably shouldn’t come to that conclusion about the Packers prioritizing high character off the field. I say that because according to your other post above, if us forum members/fans don’t know each staff member on a deep, personal level, we have no right to form any opinion. ;)

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers has new gf

is he all in with her? Like shalene who he was engaged?

or Danika who he bout a 25 mill house

or oliva who he was with for 2 years

i give new girl (the witch) 8 months
I hope his new witch girlfriend can conjure up a spell that makes him perform well enough in the playoffs to get back to the Super Bowl.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with criticizing Thompson but to speculating that there was a plan of intentionally dragging down the team is completely unwarranted in my opinion.

I don’t give players a pass off the field just because they are great athletes. Actually in many cases, neither do NFL teams.. ask Kingsley Keke.

Often the most harmful things done to employers reputations, to the locker room environment and regarding team-player relations are done after the final whistle blows.

I guess you must think the Packers organization is really strange, because they don’t fit your position even remotely.
I think Character is very important to the Packers organization. You are probably thinking I’m off my rocker, I probably shouldn’t come to that conclusion about the Packers prioritizing high character off the field.

You don't understand what I'm trying to say at all.

There's absolutely no doubt that teams should prioritise high character players. My point is that the front office, coaching staff and teammates interact with players nearly all the year round, allowing them to make a fair evaluation of a player's personality.

On the other hand, you solely base your opinion on press conferences and media reports while not having interacted with anyone inside the Packers organization even once. Therefore I don't believe you have enough information to form a valid opinion about any player's personality.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. You and I are definitely polar opposites in that regard. I don’t give players a pass off the field just because they are great athletes. Actually in many cases, neither do NFL teams.. ask Kingsley Keke.

I think Character is very important to the Packers organization. You are probably thinking I’m off my rocker, I probably shouldn’t come to that conclusion about the Packers prioritizing high character off the field. I say that because according to your other post above, if us forum members/fans don’t know each staff member on a deep, personal level, we have no right to form any opinion. ;)
You kind of made his point about Rodgers. I agree GB cares about character. Also IMO GB knows a heck of a lot more about AR and his character than any of us do. Now this next part is not opinion. GB is comfortable enough about his character to pay him a hell of a lot of money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are two points you guys are trying to make (I think!). I do agree that's it not possible to know someone very well at all from what we see in the media. And because of that we're in no position to offer an opinion on their character, or lack thereof. We can comment on what we see, but not infer beyond that. (OK, I'm guilty of doing this sometimes. I try not to.)

The second point - over the years, I think we can trust the GB organization to assess the character of the players hired. Even that is limited because management and coaches only know these players at work and for a short while. I agree off-field behavior is important, and occasionally, even in GB, a player with off-field problems appears. From what I've seen, GB is pretty quick to either fix those situations or part with the player when these problems affect the mood in the locker room.

And that's it really. Like Hollywood actors, I care about the work players produce. It's entertainment. I've got family and friends to deal with, and vice versa. That's enough.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should always remember that the media doesn't look to give a true perspective of a player. They look for issues that will create a sensationalized reaction, to create more interest in what they've written. That's why a player who has done so much for causes outside the chalk lines will end up being crucified by the press the moment they do anything wrong. There is no respect for the person, or their privacy. In Rodgers case, if he read the flaps by fans based on their opinions, he would have told the Packer organization he was "outta there," without batting an eye.

The press can be cruel, and fans tend to hold their hero athletes to a much higher standard than they do themselves. I wonder how many of us could live our lives in a fish bowl, without it blowing up in our faces.

Take it from me, being called a legend puts you on tenuous ground. From there on in, your life is in a fish bowl, until you can remove yourself from the environment and reach, of having been there. Anonymity becomes a real friend.

EDIT: By the way. This applies to all of life, not just that of athletes.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I know the lady who was Aaron's bike kid in early days

he would go over a lot and hang out with the kid. Would go to the kids football games

from what I know he doesn't have any contact with him now

"Bike Kid ?" That`s a bit harsh calling an ex girlfiend that isn`t it ?

Reaction score
On the other hand, you solely base your opinion on press conferences and media reports while not having interacted with anyone inside the Packers organization even once. Therefore I don't believe you have enough information to form a valid opinion about any player's personality.
Captain. With all due respect. I’m pretty good (much better than average) at discernment. Thankfully it’s one of the very few gifts I do have. You falsely think I am “judging” Aaron Rodgers and maybe rightfully so, because that’s primarily how our world operates. Nothing could be farther from the truth for me. Occasionally and probably even rarely, you cross paths with someone who calls it at he/she sees it because they want the best for that person. Just because our Dad hollered at us or punished us by correcting us when we made mistakes, does not equate with them trying to harm us. Often it’s because they didn’t want us to go through the same pain of mistakes they made. That’s called love, not hate. Although easily confused if not expressed afterwards.

Here is my expression. What I’m trying to say is.., relax. I like Aaron Rodgers. I want the best for him as a person. If I didn’t I would tell you here and now.

I commend you for trying to defend him, that’s admirable. I’d respect that Defense much more though, had you not said all you care about is him winning and the rest of his off field stuff is not important. I care about him both on the field and off the field. I apologize if I didn’t express it that way properly or if you simply misperceived that it hurt our chances of winning games. I Would love for #12 to win 20 games this season, believe it or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There are two points you guys are trying to make (I think!). I do agree that's it not possible to know someone very well at all from what we see in the media. And because of that we're in no position to offer an opinion on their character, or lack thereof. We can comment on what we see, but not infer beyond that. (OK, I'm guilty of doing this sometimes. I try not to.)

The second point - over the years, I think we can trust the GB organization to assess the character of the players hired. Even that is limited because management and coaches only know these players at work and for a short while. I agree off-field behavior is important, and occasionally, even in GB, a player with off-field problems appears. From what I've seen, GB is pretty quick to either fix those situations or part with the player when these problems affect the mood in the locker room.

And that's it really. Like Hollywood actors, I care about the work players produce. It's entertainment. I've got family and friends to deal with, and vice versa. That's enough.
I liked the part about the Packers generally do a good job with players. High profile athletes (like Rodgers) test teams management staff and do it often.

We are instructed to judge others by their fruit. That has been twisted by our teachers to imply we are somehow “convicting” others. Those are entirely different meanings. We don’t look at a pear tree and feel guilty for saying it’s a poor season for pears? Do we? Yet in fact, that’s passing judgment. I also don’t need to go climb every pear tree in North America to make a statement that it’s a poor season for pears. We have been given the God given ability to know good fruit or bad fruit or fruit that is short of potential. It’s not an indictment on pear trees! Nor does it imply we don’t like pears or don’t want our tree to produce lots of juicy fruit.

Thank you for your attempt at seeing both sides. I appreciate that.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As fans, it would be best if we remember that when it comes to athletes on our favorite teams, it's a love/hate relationship, not that of friends, who can, and will, forgive modest mistakes, or even bigger ones.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strangely a lot of love in here for ol' Ted hahahahaha. Several things: All those wonderful drafted players Ted chose over the years, what kind of team would we have had with them if the QB had been just average instead of Rodgers the GOAT? Pretty mediocre IMO, kinda like the way the team looked whenever Rodgers was out for a couple of games.

Reaction score
Strangely a lot of love in here for ol' Ted hahahahaha. Several things: All those wonderful drafted players Ted chose over the years, what kind of team would we have had with them if the QB had been just average instead of Rodgers the GOAT? Pretty mediocre IMO, kinda like the way the team looked whenever Rodgers was out for a couple of games.
True. But once again, picking and choosing singular players off a draft board (especially the best ever!) is a precarious way to judge a GM. If I went out and took away Brady or Elway or Marino or Montana? I’m pretty sure it would crush those teams also.

If TT draft is evaluated? Rodgers was a GrandSlam in bottom of the 9th inning World Series with a go ahead run on base. As far as luck? More than 20+ other GM’s said “thanks but no thanks” to the best NFL player ever. How do you think those fans feel??

Members online

Latest posts