Is Rodgers All In?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we kind of hit this in another thread already, but No, I don't think it hurts them at all.

If this was a new coach, new offense etc, then I'd say yes it does, but it's not. When you're looking at a player like Rodgers who's going to likely be on snap counts in TC and in season practices anyway, I see very little to gain in having him take reps with guys that don't even know the terminology yet. Its a long season, I don't think much happens in the way of relationship building for a voluntary OTA where most f their heads are spinning anyway. and the rest of the team? those relationships have already been built.

So show up and toss a few passes and stand around shooting the **** or just let the young guys do it, I don't think it matters a whole lot one way or the other.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also fairly certain the workout portion doesn’t even start till next week no?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's important that he work with Watkins, Deguara, Amari Rodgers and Ty Davis as much as possible

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on how important people think it is for Rodgers to work with new WR's, his offense and be with the rest of his teammates. IMO, with what has transpired over the last year in regards to Rodgers, as well as what could be as many as 1-5+ new WR's and TE's on the Roster, I think it is important for him to be there. It's called building team unity and connection. The connection and timing part seems ultra important to Rodgers on the field, yet he wants to skip this, I don't consider that being "All In".

The following are the OTA Dates for the Packers:

The Packers will have their first workout phase of OT's starting on April 18. That runs two weeks. This phase involves work in the weight room and the classroom, with on-field work and team drills not beginning until the next phase.

The next phases are May 23-24, May 26, May 31-June 1, June 3, June 13-14, June 16. All of these are non-padded, no contact drills. Max of 2 hrs per day on the field with up to 4 more hrs allowed per day for off field training and classroom.

All are voluntary and will include the signed drafted and undrafted rookies. There is a mandatory minicamp June 7-9, this apparently will be the 3 days that Rodgers shows up for.

If you don't know what happens at OTA's and are interested....here you go.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it just depends on how important people think it is for Rodgers to work with new WR's, his offense and be with the rest of his teammates. IMO, with what has transpired over the last year in regards to Rodgers, as well as what could be as many as 1-5+ new WR's and TE's on the Roster, I think it is important for him to be there. It's called building team unity and connection. The connection and timing part seems ultra important to Rodgers on the field, yet he wants to skip this, I don't consider that being "All In".

The following are the OTA Dates for the Packers:

The Packers will have their first workout phase of OT's starting on April 18. That runs two weeks. This phase involves work in the weight room and the classroom, with on-field work and team drills not beginning until the next phase.

The next phases are May 23-24, May 26, May 31-June 1, June 3, June 13-14, June 16. All of these are non-padded, no contact drills. Max of 2 hrs per day on the field with up to 4 more hrs allowed per day for off field training and classroom.

All are voluntary and will include the signed drafted and undrafted rookies. There is a mandatory minicamp June 7-9, this apparently will be the 3 days that Rodgers shows up for.

If you don't know what happens at OTA's and are interested....here you go.

If for no other reason, it sends a strong message to his teammates who look up to him that he is fully committed to this team if he is present and working during OTA's. Not being present also sends a message.

Edit: If I were GM i'd be paying very close attention to who was present, and the reasons why some people aren't present. And yes, I would hold it against players with reasons I didn't find worthy and I'd be looking to move those players.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If for no other reason, it sends a strong message to his teammates who look up to him that he is fully committed to this team if he is present and working during OTA's. Not being present also sends a message.

Edit: If I were GM i'd be paying very close attention to who was present, and the reasons why some people aren't present. And yes, I would hold it against players with reasons I didn't find worthy and I'd be looking to move those players.
Exactly. The message I would hear as a young player is "Rodgers is above all this stuff and doesn't care what his teammates are doing." This isn't just a "get to know your teammates" bowling outing, this is guys learning the playbook, alone and with each other, as well as building team unit. Guys running drills and learning from coaches and vets what is expected. Throw and catch as players are learning how to run routes. Sure, they have Love, Benkert and others to throw those balls, but I guess I would want the guy that actually is suppose to lead the team and throw those balls on game day, working on our timing together.

Found it interesting that Rodgers workout bonus for these sessions was $500,000 last year, which he passed on. I don't think it is coincidence that his new terms now make OTA's only worth $50k for him to show.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe, but I bet the rookies realize in 15 seconds of their first practice he's not playing around and what they thought was a commitment was just the start. and the other guys, they already know. Every teammate practically has spoken to his work ethic, attention, focus and competitive fire.

There is no timing to work on with guys that don't even know terminology months before Training camp starts. I'm not a person that always subscribes to more is better because his reps will be limited even in TC and in the season. So why are they so important now with guys who's heads are spinning? I also don't think the most work gets done on 70 hour work weeks 6 or 7 days a week. HOW you do things and the commitment and the focus are so much more important than the time. Yeah, some guys need that. I don't know Aaron, but I have a feeling I know people like him and they get more done with 3 hours than most get done in a week. They aren't the guys you make do stuff just to do stuff at this stage of his career.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly. The message I would hear as a young player is "Rodgers is above all this stuff and doesn't care what his teammates are doing." This isn't just a "get to know your teammates" bowling outing, this is guys learning the playbook, alone and with each other, as well as building team unit. Guys running drills and learning from coaches and vets what is expected. Throw and catch as players are learning how to run routes. Sure, they have Love, Benkert and others to throw those balls, but I guess I would want the guy that actually is suppose to lead the team and throw those balls on game day, working on our timing together.

Found it interesting that Rodgers workout bonus for these sessions was $500,000 last year, which he passed on. I don't think it is coincidence that his new terms now make OTA's only worth $50k for him to show.
I'd like to know what he is doing with his time instead of being with his teammates

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe, but I bet the rookies realize in 15 seconds of their first practice he's not playing around and what they thought was a commitment was just the start. and the other guys, they already know. Every teammate practically has spoken to his work ethic, attention, focus and competitive fire.

There is no timing to work on with guys that don't even know terminology months before Training camp starts. I'm not a person that always subscribes to more is better because his reps will be limited even in TC and in the season. So why are they so important now with guys who's heads are spinning? I also don't think the most work gets done on 70 hour work weeks 6 or 7 days a week. HOW you do things and the commitment and the focus are so much more important than the time. Yeah, some guys need that. I don't know Aaron, but I have a feeling I know people like him and they get more done with 3 hours than most get done in a week. They aren't the guys you make do stuff just to do stuff at this stage of his career.
OTA's are voluntary. I believe it is important for leaders to lead by example. Teammates are always watching and taking cues from their leaders and captains.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd like to know what he is doing with his time instead of being with his teammates
Last year he was vacationing with Shailene, Miles Teller and his wife in Hawaii. I believe I read that it was the first OTA he had ever skipped. Last year it was viewed as his way of saying to the front office "Fix this or I sit the year out if you don't trade me." This year, I have no clue what his subliminal message to his team and fans is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OTA's are voluntary. I believe it is important for leaders to lead by example. Teammates are always watching and taking cues from their leaders and captains.
I agree they lead by example. But I also feel the guys who already have been there know and the guys who haven't been will have plenty of time to find out. I don't think OTA's are all that important for some vets. I think they're important to young guys especially and new guys to the team. And I think most players recognize a hierarchy when they're coming into the league. There is symbolic "leadership" and then there is real examples day to day, down to down, rep to rep. I put far more weight on one than the other. I don't think Rodgers lacks in any of the meaningful examples when it comes to drive, focus, intensity, attention, etc while putting in the work.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally, I will evaluate on the field. And I sure as hell hope the coaches are able to put all else aside. Well, maybe not ALL else.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is all in to looking like crap for a few early games and then dialing it in. Only this year he doesn't have his safety blanket (Adams). He'll have to work harder to achieve the same results. To me it makes sense to put in as much work as possible with his receivers...

Members online

Latest posts