Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 of 11! Ouch!!
As much as I like Mason. He’s a couple more missed FG from being done as a Packer. It’s what have you done lately in this league.
Seems like he goes through these stages where something gets into his mind and he starts with the yips. I feel like he's done that throughout his career.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just to chime in. I agree that injuries can influence your special teams and this season the Packers have seen their share of them. However, that doesn't explain past seasons, when injuries were relatively light and the special teams still sucked. Also, maybe my memory is selective, but I don't recall the special teams being that special to begin this season, when the Packers were healthy.

Injuries feel more like an excuse, when in reality it seems that poor execution by multiple players, including veteran players, has created bad results for the ST units. When that occurs, coaching should be considered as part of the problem.

Just to clarify, as mentioned repeatedly I considered coaching to be an issue with the special teams this season. Injuries might be another reason why the unit has underperformed though.

He's working with a new long snapper, and holder. Both were added with little time to get in sync. He only missed 2 out of his last 40 FG tries of any length over the 2 previous years, so I don't see anything that would make me believe he's lost it.

Crosby getting used to a new holder might be a legit explanation for him struggling if it happened out of the gate this season but for some reason he was able to make his first nine attempts but has missed seven of his last 12.

That resulted in a new long snapper being brought in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the miss, heard it on the radio, but for whatever it's worth, he looked good kicking the rest of the game. all the PATs looked pretty solid at least :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
An interesting note:

Mason came out rather early during halftime to practice some kicks. He nailed his first 3, including a 50 yarder. Then he moved back to 54 yards and kicked 2 in a row, both fell way short, like 10-15 yards short! Almost like he had lost leg strength. Than the odd thing, he kicked one more from 50 and nailed it and that one had a good 10-15 yards extra on it. He was kicking into the North endzone, same direction he missed earlier from. Didn't seem like wind was a factor at all.

I gotta think that after all these misses, whatever the issues are due to, they are now in his head. Maybe he is dealing with an injury as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On his FG miss yesterday, I did pause the game. Bojorquez spun the ball perfectly to get the laces out. It would be interesting to hear what Mason says about that one. Maybe the snaps/holds have been so bad that he's almost expecting to kick a ball that isn't set correctly. IDK - but the ball appears to be in Mason's court now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On his FG miss yesterday, I did pause the game. Bojorquez spun the ball perfectly to get the laces out. It would be interesting to hear what Mason says about that one. Maybe the snaps/holds have been so bad that he's almost expecting to kick a ball that isn't set correctly. IDK - but the ball appears to be in Mason's court now.
I noticed that (laces) too. The snap was decent as well. I definitely think this has gotten into his head. Is it a reason to give up on him? I don't think so. Should the Packers be concerned? A bit and it might effect their 4th down decisions as well. I think he will kick himself out of it, just a matter if time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They protected their kicker on the PS. It is very clear theyre moving on from Crosby next season. Hes one of the more expensive kickers in the league. It only makes sense to move on. He may actually even retire.
Crosby is a prideful guy and not all of the missed FGs this year were his fault. But he'll take the blame anyway. He's been here a long time. This is a year where the team can make a legit run at a SB win. He may just decide to call it a day at the end of the season. Wouldn't surprise me.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how much of Crosbys issues are the result of a shaky unit around him, from weak protection on the edges to questionable holds and placements.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of Crosbys issues are the result of a shaky unit around him, from weak protection on the edges to questionable holds and placements.
Earthquakes shake everyone. Our special teams fiascos have shaken all of us, including Crosby. Watch his body language.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Crosby and I would feel bad moving on from him. He's been really good the last few years. But how long do we keep dealing with this inconsistency? It might have cost us this game today, and possibly the one against KC. Do we give him one more week to figure it out and then get a new kicker during the bye week?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they're riding Crosby wherever he takes us this year in terms of his kicking. The money is sunk, I doubt they're bringing in anyone else they're going to trust any more or less. It is a problem, but if we switch it won't be until the offseason IMO. Might see a new long snapper first. He worm burned on a punt and his snaps aren't all that crisp.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see the miss, heard it on the radio, but for whatever it's worth, he looked good kicking the rest of the game. all the PATs looked pretty solid at least :)

He's money from that range! On a serious note, he has to get this figured out. These FG's are going to become more important down the road. When they start costing games and affecting the calling of a game, something needs to be done. He's a pro, he needs to get it figured out quick.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to start planning every drive as if it is 4-down territory, and every TD as a 2-point try

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason is missing too many easy field goals. I would carry him to the end of the season and then cut him. He's had a great run but has lost his edge.

Reaction score
I suspect 3 weeks into a new Kicking trio is taking its toll. It would be logical to expect each month to get better as the 3 man unit gets in a groove. Crosby didn’t just change overnight, that position is as much mental as it is physical. The good news is Crosby gets better under pressure. He’s kinda got a little Tom Brady in him.

I’m as discouraged as anyone about missing FG’s. However the Packers would be flirting with disaster to make any moves this late in a season. We owe it to Crosby to fix this and he’s proven his worth before in a similar position. I don’t believe anyone is harder on himself than Mason. He’s a true professional.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby is one of the worst kickers this year. And it's not even close. Crosby is 35th this season in Field Goal %. Yes 35th!!!! And 18th in extra point %. Absolutely abysmal

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody come close to even hinting that Crosby was anything less than a professional on and off the field with a healthy dose of humility.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to throw Crosby under the bus. The guy has won a lot of games for us with his kicks. He's not anywhere the end of his career, unless it's his choice. I did a bit of kicking myself, and a change in holder, followed later by a new long snapper, and the whole kick has changed. If you haven't kicked in a game, it would be difficult understanding.

Members online

Latest posts