Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. I don't know why, with our ST record, they did not return those not very deep kicks in the first half.
Mason is just fine. Those who are so anxious to get rid of him might want to take a look at the group out there, that's available.

Whether or not the Packers keep him next year is going to revolve around money, nothing else. They haven't lost confidence in him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason is just fine. Those who are so anxious to get rid of him might want to take a look at the group out there, that's available.

Whether or not the Packers keep him next year is going to revolve around money, nothing else. They haven't lost confidence in him.
Not sure why you made that comment on my comment. I like Mason. But he does not have and never has had (except when his adrenaline is pumping after a good field goal) a strong kickoff foot.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why you made that comment on my comment. I like Mason. But he does not have and never has had (except when his adrenaline is pumping after a good field goal) a strong kickoff foot.
He hasn't had the longest kickoffs. I totally agree that it never was his long suit. But, I don't think that's even going to be part of the decision making. I don't think his age will be either. I don't think this year's record will actually enter the picture, that much. What I see as being the entire issue is money.

Not disagreeing with anything you said.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looks like Crosby is getting his mojo back. 7/7 on attempts last night. He also had his best kickoffs of the season. 5 out of 8 touchbacks against a returner who has 2 TD returns this year.
Yup...seems like the rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated. :whistling:

Don't get me wrong, it's great that Crosby is making the kicks he's asked to but at this point he's a glorified extra point kicker.

Since he last missed a field goal against the Rams his average distance per attempt (six) has been 31.5 yards with the longest coming from 38.

I don't think that justifies any confidence in him making a long one when needed.

The Packers having Crosby solely attempt field goals from extra point distance suggests they don't feel confident in him though.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it's great that Crosby is making the kicks he's asked to but at this point he's a glorified extra point kicker.

Since he last missed a field goal against the Rams his average distance per attempt (six) has been 31.5 yards with the longest coming from 38.

I don't think that justifies any confidence in him making a long one when needed.

The Packers having Crosby solely attempt field goals from extra point distance suggests they don't feel confident in him though.
Don‘t get me wrong …. I‘m not particularly confident in Crosby and of the rest of the field goal team right now either… but I can’t agree with your last conclusion. For whatever reason, the Packer’s offense has been very good moving the ball between the 20’s but seems to struggle some in the red zone. I would suggest that is a much bigger reason why Crosby has been getting attempts at shorter field goals but not many long ones.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think your statement that he's nothing more than a glorified extra point kicker is nothing more than your personal opinion. As for statements about the average distance of the FGs he's kicking, that's dictated by where the offense grinds to a halt, not based on the fact that they made sure it was short enough for him.

A lot of teams have opted to go for it on 4th down at certain locations on the field, IF they have confidence in their offense making the first down, and confidence in their defense stopping the opponent from moving the ball, if they fail.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something that nobody has mentioned. There was a botched hold this past game, but because the three parts of the kicking game had been practicing more together, Crosby was able to slow his move towards the point of the kick, and able to split the uprights. That was the result of practice "together." Anyone who has been a kicker saw that, and had to be impressed on how well they pulled it off. To the anti-Crosby group? Never entered their mind as to how good of a job the three did in making that kick work.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
At this point in the season it appears that the Packers have figured out the issues with the XP and FG team, I really don't have any concerns over it. I will get word to MLF that he needs to have Crosby kick a 55 yarder indoors at Detroit to nudge Captain a bit. ;)

That said, hopefully the Packers have 3 more games after the Lions games and given that 2 of them will be in Green Bay, I don't expect any 50+ yard FG's from Crosby, unless its in the last seconds to try and win a game.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point in the season it appears that the Packers have figured out the issues with the XP and FG team, I really don't have any concerns over it. I will get word to MLF that he needs to have Crosby kick a 55 yarder indoors at Detroit to nudge Captain a bit. ;)

That said, hopefully the Packers have 3 more games after the Lions games and given that 2 of them will be in Green Bay, I don't expect any 50+ yard FG's from Crosby, unless its in the last seconds to try and win a game.
I love the Captain. His posts are pure no-nonsense. There has to be someone on the board who has the sense of humor of Mother Superior at a mixed boarding school, where hormones are running rampant. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love the Captain. His posts are pure no-nonsense. There has to be someone on the board who has the sense of humor of Mother Superior at a mixed boarding school, where hormones are running rampant. ;)
Captain and I go "way back" and we can "fight" like dogs or totally high five and agree on things. Captain is one of my "favorite debate partners", he fights fair and plays until the bitter end.....and I do love his signature line. :)

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has looked good recently, but I'd feel better if he had some longer kicks under his belt. None of his recent kicks have been longer than 37 yards, and quite a few of them were under 30. Maybe he'll get the chance to kick a few 40+ yarders against the Lions.

Interestingly, per the discussion about touchbacks, Crosby's kickoff average is the best of his career at 64.1 yards. But his touchback percentage is the lowest it's been since 2014. To me, that speaks to how bad our kickoff coverage is. Teams are choosing to return it even when relatively deep in the endzone.

Last edited:

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most have mentioned, it will come down to money.

Mason has made numerous game winning and/or game tying FGs for us over the years in clutch situations to where it wouldn't be prudent for us to not resign him if the money made sense.

Further, he kicks in an environment, Lambeau Field, that isn't the most forgiving place half of his career. It's not like he's kicking in some dome where there is no wind/rain/snow/etc.

It'll come down to money.

Reaction score
Yet that argument doesn’t hold. Long Kicks requiring confidence would arguably be 50+. His 64.1 kickoff average proves his long range hasn’t finished. It’s the highest KO distance of his career.

Yet Mason missed 8 separate attempts in the 30-39 and 40-49 range. One of which is the range an extra point is in. It Doesn’t add up because Mason is one of just several Kickers leagueWide with 1 or less XP misses. He 48/49 and anything better is perfection and that’s considered “very consistent” in anyone’s book.

So it makes zero sense he’d miss 4 separate Kicks (8/12) from the same range FG as he’s been near league leading range (48/49) unless of course.. hmmmm.
there are other mitigating factors??
It’s also interesting that earlier inconsistencies at that range are waning as the season progresses. That speaks to other factors.. holding? Blocking? Snapping?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Don‘t get me wrong …. I‘m not particularly confident in Crosby and of the rest of the field goal team right now either… but I can’t agree with your last conclusion. For whatever reason, the Packer’s offense has been very good moving the ball between the 20’s but seems to struggle some in the red zone. I would suggest that is a much bigger reason why Crosby has been getting attempts at shorter field goals but not many long ones.

We're all guessing about the reasons behind Crosby not attempting longer field goals. I don't feel confident about him needing to make one from 40+ yards out if needed as long as he doesn't prove capable of making it after him struggling this season though.

I don't think your statement that he's nothing more than a glorified extra point kicker is nothing more than your personal opinion. As for statements about the average distance of the FGs he's kicking, that's dictated by where the offense grinds to a halt, not based on the fact that they made sure it was short enough for him

As mentioned above, we're both speculating on why the Packers haven't attempted field goals from 40 or more yards over the past few games. But I don't see any reason to feel confident in Crosby to make them at this point.

I would love for Crosby to make a long field goal against the Lions as it would make me feel more confident about him entering the playoffs.

Captain and I go "way back" and we can "fight" like dogs or totally high five and agree on things. Captain is one of my "favorite debate partners", he fights fair and plays until the bitter end.....and I do love his signature line. :)

We only disagree when you're wrong :D

Interestingly, per the discussion about touchbacks, Crosby's kickoff average is the best of his career at 64.1 yards. But his touchback percentage is the lowest it's been since 2014. To me, that speaks to how bad our kickoff coverage is. Teams are choosing to return it even when relatively deep in the endzone.

Actually a kicker benefits from a low touchback percentage when talking about his kickoff average. That's because a kicker is only credited with 65 yard kickoff when it results in a touchback no matter if he kicked it into the stands or it barely made the end zone while a kickoff that is returned from five yards into the end zone is accounted for as a 70 yarder.

Mason has made numerous game winning and/or game tying FGs for us over the years in clutch situations to where it wouldn't be prudent for us to not resign him if the money made sense.

Just for the record, Crosby is under contract for next season. The Packerd could save some much needed cap space by moving on from him though.

Yet that argument doesn’t hold. Long Kicks requiring confidence would arguably be 50+. His 64.1 kickoff average proves his long range hasn’t finished. It’s the highest KO distance of his career.

See above for an explanation for Crosby having his highest career kickoff average. I already posted that some weeks ago but as it happens with most things that support the notion he struggles it got ignored.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See above for an explanation for Crosby having his highest career kickoff average. I already posted that some weeks ago but as it happens with most things that support the notion he struggles it got ignored.
-----------------------​
I don't think this issue has been ignored. I believe there were other points that took precedence, so it was pushed onto the back burner.

I believe the new kickoff rule makes for an interesting topic. With the ball coming out to the 25 yard-line, it changes the dynamics of the game tremendously.

Instead of going into the nuts and bolts of it, we all know penalties and injuries happen quite often on returned kicks. Those penalties often create a long field for the team going on offense. A shorter field is preferred. As for the defense on them, the injury issue comes into play, and the non-returned kick cannot be run the length of the field for a TD.

If I was an NFL head coach, I would say that we don't want kicks returned if they reach the end zone. Play with that intent. If we have to return a kick, do so, but otherwise no. I like the ball on the 25, because it's a shorter field than what often happens when we try returns.

As a kicking team, I'm still in favor of sticking the ball in the end zone without a return, for the same reasons except there's no threat of the ball getting outside the 25 to start their drive. Of course, if I have a coverage team that is lights out, I might want to see the opposition try returning the ball, so we can nail them inside the 20.

A stat that I would research, if I had the time, or the access, is the success rate on drives that result from touch backs versus those that are kicked shorter. I wonder if there's data that compares turn overs inside your own territory on ensuing drives, average field position achieved, and comparison of scoring TDs and FGs as well. Also, the amount of clock you control for them in comparison, along with first downs.

These are all those second level statistics that I'd bet someone at STATS has worked out. They've got some keen analytics.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason has the most misses
I believe percentage missed is a better indicator than just the number missed. He had a terrible spell and missed 9 field goals, but he has looked solid the past several games. He's a veteran. He's been there, done that. I'm not particularly worried.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe percentage missed is a better indicator than just the number missed. He had a terrible spell and missed 9 field goals, but he has looked solid the past several games. He's a veteran. He's been there, done that. I'm not particularly worried.
Agreed. However, if you are trying to frame things to fit the narrative that this poster is attempting to, you strictly look at misses, with no other discussion allowed. It is much like pointing out that if you stop testing for covid, the rate of positive tests would drop dramatically.

D

Deleted member 6794

A stat that I would research, if I had the time, or the access, is the success rate on drives that result from touch backs versus those that are kicked shorter. I wonder if there's data that compares turn overs inside your own territory on ensuing drives, average field position achieved, and comparison of scoring TDs and FGs as well. Also, the amount of clock you control for them in comparison, along with first downs.​

These are all those second level statistics that I'd bet someone at STATS has worked out. They've got some keen analytics.

I might be able to figure it out but first let me ask you if you are just interested in comparing drives after a touchback to ones on which the kickoff was returned or specifically to the ones on which the kickoff didn't reach the end zone?

Members online

Latest posts