Is Mason Crosby Headed for the Bone Yard?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last time Mason was ready to be kicked to the curb, he had to compete for his job and did very good,I think its time to bring in another kicker and have him compete again if he can’t cut it, our divisional rivals would be glad to sign him, they want him to do his Robby Gould imitation
JJ Molson has been in house all year long.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I get it. The Packers need to replace their long snapper, punter, and kicker. That will take care of most of their problems.

Kind of like they did things in WWI. You know. Send thousands of men charging across no-man's land with bayonets attached, into the teeth of machine gun fire spread to create maximum carnage. After 70-80% of them were killed, and the rest limped back to their own lines, often wounded, the General's Staff would hold a lottery.

They'd draw the names of several common soldiers out of a hat and brand them as "cowards." They'd have these cowards executed in front of firing squads. All with the intent of covering up their stupidity when it came to leadership. They said it was to promote "morale." I say it was BS! It was nothing more than a plan to cover their own posteriors.

Anyhow... I see the similarities.
Do you have any cite about the lottery of anyone that returned? I've only found evidence of those that ran away or refused to return to the front. BTW, no officers were executed for cowardice. They got some type of "shell shock" designation and were removed from the battlefield. Only enlisted men were executed.

Reaction score
Crosby has definitely lost some distance, but I think given the right situation, he will play for less money and be a solid kicker for a team for a few years, if he wants to continue playing.
I have no problem with Crosby staying as long as his compensation= his output. He’s about $1mil-1.5mil heavy annually based on current performance. That’s being generous. Maybe he needs a performance based incentive with a lower default compensation.

I also look at other factors like tenure, community service and locker room ethics etc. where he scores great.

Also I know it’s not traditional. But I’d consider getting competition at holder/snapper

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have no problem with Crosby staying as long as his compensation= his output. He’s about $1mil-1.5mil heavy annually based on current performance. That’s being generous. I also look at other factors like tenure, community service and locker room ethics etc. where he scores great.
I think it is going to be a lot like after the 2012 season where he comes to Green Bay and says "Im willing to take a salary cut to stay." I think the Packers said yes, but still brought in competition that he had to beat out. Will they do that this year? Not sure, but I would be fine with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You mason apologists never give up
How about instead of you being the squeaky wheel. Let's hear from you before Free Agency and you explain to all of us your thoughts on the position. That way its in writing ahead of the situation, instead of your normal posts when you just come after the fact to P & M.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby did not have a good year. He only made 73 percent of his kicks, and his touchback percentage was pretty bad, at just 45.7 percent. That being said, plenty of kickers are productive into their 40s and many kickers have an off-year and bounce back fine. For the right price, I'd keep Crosby.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Crosby did not have a good year. He only made 73 percent of his kicks, and his touchback percentage was pretty bad, at just 45.7 percent. That being said, plenty of kickers are productive into their 40s and many kickers have an off-year and bounce back fine. For the right price, I'd keep Crosby.
Yes and while I am now being accused as being a Crosby apologist, I think those that follow the Packers close enough, know that the poor play of special teams had something to do with his 73% mark.

Reaction score
Yes and while I am now being accused as being a Crosby apologist, I think those that follow the Packers close enough, know that the poor play of special teams had something to do with his 73% mark.
As I said in the shoutbox. If the opponent got any closer to Crosby any faster? They’d have to stop and have a Tee party and then resume when he started his final leg swing.

I’d be willing to bet at least 2-3 missed FG were resulting from poor blocking. Another 2-3 poor snaps or holds. I’m going conservative it’s probably more like 6+ we’re affected by his newer crew.

I’m surprised he didn’t have a Kickoff blocked they were so bad

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have any cite about the lottery of anyone that returned? I've only found evidence of those that ran away or refused to return to the front. BTW, no officers were executed for cowardice. They got some type of "shell shock" designation and were removed from the battlefield. Only enlisted men were executed.
Here's one article. If you dig around, you'll find it was officers, and enlisted men. Most governments tried to hide it behind refusal to return to lines. Retreating, and being ordered to continue the attack was easily written as "refusal to return to combat."

Decimation by numbers, info listed within this text.

You have to dig a little, but it's all out there.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it. The Packers need to replace their long snapper, punter, and kicker. That will take care of most of their problems.

Kind of like they did things in WWI. You know. Send thousands of men charging across no-man's land with bayonets attached, into the teeth of machine gun fire spread to create maximum carnage. After 70-80% of them were killed, and the rest limped back to their own lines, often wounded, the General's Staff would hold a lottery.

They'd draw the names of several common soldiers out of a hat and brand them as "cowards." They'd have these cowards executed in front of firing squads. All with the intent of covering up their stupidity when it came to leadership. They said it was to promote "morale." I say it was BS! It was nothing more than a plan to cover their own posteriors.

Anyhow... I see the similarities.
careful...I think Buggar was about 18 then...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m surprised he didn’t have a Kickoff blocked they were so bad
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Had that happened, I think MLF and Gute finally notice a problem on special teams and they trade for that guy with the 10 yard rubber arms!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Polish Prince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why keep a kicker that cannot kick the ball out of the end zone? If you have crappy kick coverage this is one way to control field position. Time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why keep a kicker that cannot kick the ball out of the end zone? If you have crappy kick coverage this is one way to control field position. Time to move on.
I fully agree with you. If you are paying a guy to strictly kick the ball out of the endzone and he can't do that 1 simple task, ya can him. To hell with fixing the kick coverage, you hire a guy to simply boot it into the stands everytime.

Now let's talk about that guy you have in charge of kicking XP's and FG's. What should we expect from him?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree with you. If you are paying a guy to strictly kick the ball out of the endzone and he can't do that 1 simple task, ya can him. To hell with fixing the kick coverage, you hire a guy to simply boot it into the stands everytime.

Now let's talk about that guy you have in charge of kicking XP's and FG's. What should we expect from him?
Same thing, kick it into the stands just between those two vertical things in the middle.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JJ Molson was signed to a futures contract, so he'll be around in '22. His senior year of college he had 53/61 kickoffs as touch backs. Strong leg, but FG accuracy was only 69% in college. Hopefully received some sort of positive coaching while on the PS, may be ready to challenge for a spot on the 53. Crosby's cap # is $4.735Mil, pre-6/01 cut saves $2.395Mil w/ $2.34Mil dead money. Post 6/01 cut saves $3.4Mil w/ $1.335Mil dead $. Not huge cap savings but it plays into decision to move on or not.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
JJ Molson was signed to a futures contract, so he'll be around in '22. His senior year of college he had 53/61 kickoffs as touch backs. Strong leg, but FG accuracy was only 69% in college. Hopefully received some sort of positive coaching while on the PS, may be ready to challenge for a spot on the 53. Crosby's cap # is $4.735Mil, pre-6/01 cut saves $2.395Mil w/ $2.34Mil dead money. Post 6/01 cut saves $3.4Mil w/ $1.335Mil dead $. Not huge cap savings but it plays into decision to move on or not.
One thing to keep in mind about college football, a returner can and often does call for a fair catch outside the endzone. So those TB numbers can be misleading.

Another thing to keep in mind when evaluating Crosby and the Special teams, regarding TB's and kick coverage, at least when comparing numbers over his career. In 2018 they changed some of the kickoff rules for player safety. The kickoff team must have five players on each side of the ball and cannot line up more than one yard from the restraining line (prevents running starts).

Polish Prince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok...now let's talk about those other 10 guys that are suppose to do various things like snap/hold the ball, block, etc.
I can’t get over our LS is only 228 lbs??! 49ers blew this dude up and no one was there to help out. Why didn’t they put starter and/or main back up OL on the punt team? This is the playoffs! I think Lefleur should be shot for sticking his head in the sand regarding special teams all season and letting that clown coach them. Frustrated.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can’t get over our LS is only 228 lbs??! 49ers blew this dude up and no one was there to help out. Why didn’t they put starter and/or main back up OL on the punt team? This is the playoffs! I think Lefleur should be shot for sticking his head in the sand regarding special teams all season and letting that clown coach them. Frustrated.
That's pretty small for a long snapper. But what would we know. He did such a great job, especially with his blocks! :(

Members online

Latest posts