Is it wierd

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
No not that I have a Justin Bieber poster in my bedroom, but that I have a certain affinity for ex packers?
When Kampman went to Jacksonville, I watched the games and in pulling for him, I was pulling for the Jags. Didn't affect the Packers. When Rivera went to the cowboys, I was pulling for him there and thus the gurls. I hope Jennings does well in Minnesota. I hope Flynn enjoys his spot on the bench. To me, that makes me a Packer fan in the sense that when a Packer moves on, I still have a soft spot for him, as he was a part of the Packers. When we play those teams, I'm all packers, but I don't find the two things mutually exclusive.

Leave our former QB out of this to make it non emotional.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I agree with you NWCH, as long as those players don`t disrespect the organisation that gave them the chance in the first place.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I don't think it's weird. I'll pull for a lot of former Packers, but not necessarily for their new teams. I'm pulling for Woody this season. I was pulling for Holmgren when he went to Seattle. Hell, I'd be pulling for Jennings if he hadn't run his mouth about #12 and our organization.

At the end of the day, the NFL is a business. Players are going to come and go. Even if they end up playing for hated rivals, it's important to remember the good things they did for our organization. I don't hate Lombardi because he left and went to Washington. I love Lombardi for taking our nearly doomed football team and building one of the great dynasties in NFL history.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't dislike the people that leave in any way, shape, or form. I just don't find them to be worth my time anymore. I wish them well in their future endeavors, but beyond that I'm rather apathetic towards them. I agree that it is also not weird to feel the way the OP does, I know a fair amount of people that are like that. But I don't think it "makes" anyone a fan of an organization. The people that leave cease representing the organization the moment they leave.

12theTruth

It depends. I followed and actually rooted for a player you do not wish us to talk about when that player went to his first team after the Packers.

Also does anyone remember Edgar Bennett going to the Bears at the end of his career? Didn't really root for him as a Bear but you sure didn't see much of a furor but it was also before the advent of social networking via facebook, etc.

I rooted for the awesome Antonio Freeman even when he wasn't a Packer. As a whole though these rooting interests are a small blip on the radar as my allegiances are with the Green and Gold forever and for always. It is different (as RockyRacoon stated) in rooting for a player individually than a team as a whole, you see this a considerably amount more due to fantasy football anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

It depends. I followed and actually rooted for a player you do not wish us to talk about when that player went to his first team after the Packers.

Also does anyone remember Edgar Bennett going to the Bears at the end of his career? Made nary an impact but it was also before the advent of social networking via facebook, etc.

I rooted for the awesome Antonio Freeman even when he wasn't a Packer. As a whole though these rooting interests are a small blip on the radar as my allegiances are with the Green and Gold forever and for always.
Go and stand in the corner facing the wall, and THINK about what you have done wrong you bad boy !!! :mad:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I've never really been a "fan", I guess, of individual players - except maybe Lofton to a degree. I guess I'm a "sum-of-the-parts" type guy. I don't know why and sure can't explain it really...but, once one of the parts leaves and a new part is in place, I don't give too much thought to the old part.

I usually end up siding with and liking the guys on the business end of this thing ... Ron Wolf, Holmgren, Harlan, Thompson, McCarthy .... it doesn't get any more non-emotional than that. Haha.... even as a kid and someone who played the game a three levels, I just never got into the (forgive me) hero-worship thing afforded athletes.

Phft, that's just me though.

D

Dan115

I've never really been a "fan", I guess, of individual players - except maybe Lofton to a degree. I guess I'm a "sum-of-the-parts" type guy. I don't know why and sure can't explain it really...but, once one of the parts leaves and a new part is in place, I don't give too much thought to the old part.

I usually end up siding with and liking the guys on the business end of this thing ... Ron Wolf, Holmgren, Harlan, Thompson, McCarthy .... it doesn't get any more non-emotional than that. Haha.... even as a kid and someone who played the game a three levels, I just never got into the (forgive me) hero-worship thing afforded athletes.

Phft, that's just me though.

three levels,= high school,college and pro?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
three levels,= high school,college and pro?
Are you kidding??? :) Dan, I only laugh because I got the sh*t kicked out of me in one year at a D3 level and hung it up. I was born and raised in a drinking town with a football problem back in the 70's. The crazy madness begins (or at least began) at 6th grade. Nooooo... I was a slow white farm boy, make no mistake about it. :)

I didn't mean to infer that I was anything but well, what I call a hacker...

D

Dan115

Are you kidding??? :) Dan, I only laugh because I got the sh*t kicked out of me in one year at a D3 level and hung it up. I was born and raised in a drinking town with a football problem back in the 70's. The crazy madness begins (or at least began) at 6th grade. Nooooo... I was a slow white farm boy, make no mistake about it. :)

I didn't mean to infer that I was anything but well, what I call a hacker...

Ok, you sound on par with my football career. I was a good high school player in a small Minn farm town.

I

Ok, you sound on par with my football career. I was a good high school player in a small Minn farm town.
Jeez Dan, be thankful you never got any better or you could have ended up as a Viking player :roflmao:.

D

Dan115

Jeez Dan, be thankful you never got any better or you could have ended up as a Viking player :roflmao:.

LOL no way LOL I just got off a vike page on facebook --- They think they are so great with the most division championships, and yet they don't mention the super bowls. LOL

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I like the Viking fans who say that they DO have an NFL championship (and they do), however, that "NFL Championship" doesn't mean squat when your team loses the last game of the year. The year they lost to KC in the Super Bowl which was the last year ( I believe) where there was an NFL and an AFL. What they fail to mention is that the merger had already taken place in everything but the name.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

I liked coaching that very same crazy grade school program more than I liked playing. Loved those kids, the majority of the parents (even back then), not so much.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Leave our former QB out of this to make it non emotional.
LOL. This looks to me to be all about the former QB you'd like us to ignore. The subtext here IMO is 'See, it's not so weird I HATE Ted Thompson because I loved the former QB so much I rooted for him instead of the Packers after he left’. And yes, that IMO was weird.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply cannot root for Jennings after he ran his mouth. The Driver thing too - I was flabbergasted. When I was a kid, I am trying to remember but I think it was a player named Bruce Clark or something close to that refused to play for Green Bay after they drafted him in the first round. I had discontent for him as a fan from the giddy up and go. The Reggie White in Carolina thing really bothered me for some reason. I really loved the minister.
This is a great idea for a thread. It really does depend upon the player - it depends on personal opionion or experience.

OP
OP
Bus Cook

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
LOL. This looks to me to be all about the former QB you'd like us to ignore. The subtext here IMO is 'See, it's not so weird I HATE Ted Thompson because I loved the former QB so much I rooted for him instead of the Packers after he left’. And yes, that IMO was weird.

I was a packer fan before our former QB threw his first pass and TT came out of the closet. Nice try though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Jack, let's take him at face value and NOT talk about he whose name shall not be mentioned. ;) The sun shines soooo much brighter when we don't. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts