• Realease or trade

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Retire

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The money is incentive enough for sure. I don't know many people that would walk away from that money or the equivalent in their lives. Heck, i've seen what a lot of jokers will do over 10 dollars to themselves or their fellow man, so i'm definitely not judging if someone should leave it be, or work for another 60 million doing nothing but what he loves. I don't think anybody else should be either.

But ultimately I think it will be whether or not he wants to commit to the game for another season and his desire to go out and do it again for a chance to win it all with his team are going to the 2 biggest factors in his decision.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also owns a small stake in the Bucks..not sure if he makes much from that though.
How much longer can they hold Love back? Lafleur loved that pick..that's his guy.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I firmly believe that Love could have gone 8-9 with this team.

You know I heard this from another and I felt no way…but went back and looked at what Rodgers did in the wins and it wasn’t often I was blown away with what his stat line was.

Now sure that doesn’t blindly equal directly like that but I gotta think worst case Love wins 6 or 7 and guess what, gets us to the same number of playoff games Rodgers did.

It is time.

Indy Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you happen to look at his playoff wins, or just stats? WINS are what define a great playoff QB.
Wins are not a QB stat. This is the most frustrating thing about being an nfl fan. My previous post said Brady has a 9 pt advantage provided by his D/ST compared to Rodgers. When Brady gets to score 21 to win an average game and rodgers has to score 27, how is winning a fair metric?

Reaction score
What we want and what’s going to happen are often separate things.

My guess is Rodgers will be in GB
1 final season in 2023. Either part could negate that. I highly doubt The Packers walk away from Rodgers when they’d basically have to pay him either way. In this sport yiu go with your better option unless the monetary side is drastically less with another option. Aaron’s bad year is still better than Loves best in 2023.

I’d love to go get a reasonable veteran FA on that Right side on OL similar to what we’ve done successfully in recent seasons.
Another Billy Turner etc..RG/RT
Then draft the best at TE/WR in Day 1 using #15 or #47 in some capacity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Finally tired of AR trying to be the hero. Much different watching Brady and even Purdy get 1st downs vs AR. Probably better to get beat by a #1draft pick rather than Mr.Irrelevant. Interesting how a 7th round pick can play and win vs a HF Veteran isn't it MLF?

Purdy has the huge benefit of the best defense in the league and weapons like McCaffrey, Samuel, Kittle etc. But of course none of that matters to fans who solely want to blame Rodgers for the team's shortcomings.

AR sit on the bench and count his 60million.

No. But he could play 2nd string.

They could additionally tell him he will be competing for a job in training camp, but that would be a PR headache and I don't see them doing that.

Why even tell him he'd be competing in TC? Just tell him Love has the keys to the car, AR will be #3 running scout team & helping train the rookie 6th or 7th rounder as #2.

If a trade doesn't work, I would sit him down and tell him he's done. Love is the starter going forward. Period. End of story. No matter how poorly he plays.

The Packers can't afford to pay Rodgers $60 million to sit on the bench. Do all of you who actually suggest that as a valid option ever heard of a hard salary cap being in place???

Feel like a trade request is still best for us? I’m not sure the financial differences vs what we’d save if he walks but at least we’d get some extra return and I think many would be surprised at how much a QB-needy team might be able to convince themselves to give up for him…

The Packers would take the same amount of cap hit ($40.3 million) in dead money by either trading Rodgers or him retiring.

Mgmnt has to do what they want w/o taking Rodgers thought/feelings into consideration.

With the option bonus of $58.3 million being fully guaranteed the front office can't do that though.

I don't yet believe we have actually seen MLF able to fully dip GB into his offensive vision - he has been playcating to a point to Rodgers...I just don't think their marriage was a good one from the start.

I don't consider that to be true at all as the offense performed very well for two seasons with MLF and Rodgers.

If MLF says, Love is our next qb and he's starting this fall. Period. Time to think more of what's best for the organization cuz we have to know if Love is the real deal.

Please elaborate on how the Packers should handle the cap in that scenario.

Is this the case? I know the contract is really convoluted, and even the big boys are wildly different. Sportrac shows a really substantial decrease in cap hit if traded rather than cut, and Over The Cap shows about the same hit, either way. Any other 'pro' sources out there so we know which to root for?

The Packers would take a cap hit of $100 million in dead money by releasing Rodgers. That number would drop to $40 million if he's traded or retires.

I`m sorry but a rookie or even a veteran CANNOT catch balls that are over or underthrown, and it started to happen too often. I got tired of it always being somebody else`s fault. I wouldn`t be so pissed if he`d trained in the off season and developed with them. I know it`s a simple argument but it`s the truth.

True, if only Rodgers would have shown up for OTAs the Packers would have won the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

The sooner Rodgers is gone, the better.

It seems a lot of Packers fans feel that way as they have no way of appreciating what a special talent Rodgers is compared to most other quarterbacks in the history of the league. I truly believe that all of you are in for a rude awakening once you get your wish of him not being around anymore.

Realistically if next year is after Rodgers era, we will be fighting to be middle of the pack. If we had tons of guys returning sure I could be there with you but look at all the expiring contracts of guys playing SIGNIFICANT snaps that are currently unsigned:

Notable Offensive Guys:
Lazard - 78.88%, most of any WR and 5th most snaps on team offensively
Nijman - 69.10%, 6th most on the team.
Jones - (Contract rework or cut) 57.59% and 7th overall on team.
Tonyan - Most by TE, 54.02% and 9th overall
Lewis - 41.22% and 14th overall
Cobb - 33.9% / 4th most by a WR

Notable Defensive Guys:
Amos - 94.58% most of anyone
Reed - 68.25% / 2nd behind Clark for iDL / 8th overall
Lowry - 46.66% / 3rd iDL and 10th overall
Ford - 42.79% / 13th overall and some of the most once he took over safety
Nixon - 27.98%

ST:
Crosby

Aside of Jones (who they could keep on a restructured deal) I don't think any the Packers losing any of the players on that list would result in a significant drop-off in team performance next season.

Did something change?

I don’t believe they pay the player but the dead monies still applies against our team cap with that Jun 1 rule?
Like $40.3mil

Rodgers not returning would still result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against the team's cap. My point was that they wouldn't have to pay him another cent if he retires though.

Isn't retirement the best option for the Packers from a cap standpoint?

No, trading Rodgers would result in the same amount of dead money counting against their cap.

The amt of cash he's getting is worth what? Maybe if he didn't get so much, we could of kept Z. Smith and/ or maybe others.

I do think it's possible he retires to give Love a chance to start. He sat behind Favre and maybe he has some sympathy for his position. Your second sentence, I don't think there's a chance in hell of that. He's always demanded top dollar for his services, his ego demands that.

As mentioned numerous times, it's completely unrealistic to demand a player taking less than market value.

When Favre retired, then UN-retired the Packers offered him a 10 yr/$20Mil marketing deal to stay retired. Wonder if a similar "arrangement" couldn't amicably be worked out with AR? Not sure of the legal/financial wranglings of the cap, but maybe something like: AR returning $40Mil SB to replenish the '23 cap and then once retired & the season begins signing a 5yr/$50Mil marketing deal?

There's no way to circumvent the cap that way.

I think it's naive to believe that Aaron Rodgers, who never really gave any kind of hometown discount for Green Bay in his career, will just willingly walk away from 60 million dollars willy nilly if the organization doesn't want him back.

Why would Rodgers agree to a hometown discount? Where are all the other players who have done something like it in the league?

I firmly believe that Love could have gone 8-9 with this team.

I firmly disagree with that.

How much longer can they hold Love back? Lafleur loved that pick..that's his guy.

I don't know about that. It seems Love was Gutekunst's guy. Not so sure about MLF though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Purdy has the huge benefit of the best defense in the league and weapons like McCaffrey, Samuel, Kittle etc. But of course none of that matters to fans who solely want to blame Rodgers for the team's shortcomings.

The Packers can't afford to pay Rodgers $60 million to sit on the bench. Do all of you who actually suggest that as a valid option ever heard of a hard salary cap being in place???

The Packers would take the same amount of cap hit ($40.3 million) in dead money by either trading Rodgers or him retiring.

With the option bonus of $58.3 million being fully guaranteed the front office can't do that though.

I don't consider that to be true at all as the offense performed very well for two seasons with MLF and Rodgers.

Please elaborate on how the Packers should handle the cap in that scenario.

The Packers would take a cap hit of $100 million in dead money by releasing Rodgers. That number would drop to $40 million if he's traded or retires.

True, if only Rodgers would have shown up for OTAs the Packers would have won the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

It seems a lot of Packers fans feel that way as they have no way of appreciating what a special talent Rodgers is compared to most other quarterbacks in the history of the league. I truly believe that all of you are in for a rude awakening once you get your wish of him not being around anymore.

Aside of Jones (who they could keep on a restructured deal) I don't think any the Packers losing any of the players on that list would result in a significant drop-off in team performance next season.

Rodgers not returning would still result in dead money of $40.3 million counting against the team's cap. My point was that they wouldn't have to pay him another cent if he retires though.

No, trading Rodgers would result in the same amount of dead money counting against their cap.

As mentioned numerous times, it's completely unrealistic to demand a player taking less than market value.

There's no way to circumvent the cap that way.

Why would Rodgers agree to a hometown discount? Where are all the other players who have done something like it in the league?

I firmly disagree with that.

I don't know about that. It seems Love was Gutekunst's guy. Not so sure about MLF though.

I never said that but it certainly wouldn`t have hurt, and he would have been a bit more in sync with them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Rodgers isn't going to do anyone a favor. I don't think he sees himself as the problem with the offense.
I don't think he's stupid. He sees the film. He knows what went wrong. Sometimes it's the other guy's fault and other times it's his fault. Whether he would admit it or not, he knows he's not player he needs to be at this point.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand… think of it like this. 60m is nearly 20% of Rodgers’ career earnings (football/salary wise, anyways). If you were contemplating retirement but knew your employer was going to have to pay you 20% of what you’ve earned in your lifetime for just one more year… you might have a harder time walking, ya know? Obviously that’s not specific to Rodgers either, but you get the idea - just a different angle to consider. I suspect I could tough it out for another year for 20% of my total career earnings….
Since you asked if it were me I'd look at my bank account and ask myself if I would ever want for anything the rest of my life. I'd ask myself if my body can take much more beating. I'd ask myself if I truly feel I have a realistic chance at a Super Bowl next year. If the answer to any of those questions is "No" then I'd retire. It's not like this is all the money he'll ever make the rest of his life. Tony Romo is making $18M a year working for CBS. He could demand at least that much if that was something he wanted to do.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wins are not a QB stat. This is the most frustrating thing about being an nfl fan. My previous post said Brady has a 9 pt advantage provided by his D/ST compared to Rodgers. When Brady gets to score 21 to win an average game and rodgers has to score 27, how is winning a fair metric?
I see. So as long as you have slightly better than average stats, regardless of whether you lead your team to victory, you're a great playoff QB. Gotcha.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you asked if it were me I'd look at my bank account and ask myself if I would ever want for anything the rest of my life. I'd ask myself if my body can take much more beating. I'd ask myself if I truly feel I have a realistic chance at a Super Bowl next year. If the answer to any of those questions is "No" then I'd retire. It's not like this is all the money he'll ever make the rest of his life. Tony Romo is making $18M a year working for CBS. He could demand at least that much if that was something he wanted to do.
As minority owner in the Milwaukee Bucks his investment ($50Mil joint venture with 2 others) has increased nicely. The 2018 value of the Bucks was $1.075Bil, today worth over $2.3Bil... 213% in just 4 years. Don't think he needs to worry about money. ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My post was cut up and completely taken out of context anyways.

It happens...you can write and flesh out an entire thought and some here will run with one sentence and not the context of it. Happens, very few here mean ill by it, it is annoying at times though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even if a team like the 49ers, who I don't think have the capital, but have a solid roster on offense and defense and would be a Brady to Tampa scenario with Rodgers, came calling. I still believe he'd rather retire a packer than play another year somewhere else. Now if this was 5 years ago and teams came calling and we actually were considering moving on, maybe. Because then there is time to establish and play it out.

But I think his 1 team legacy is very important to him, and i'm not sure there's much chance he'd go anywhere else. He'd just retire.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
even if a team like the 49ers, who I don't think have the capital, but have a solid roster on offense and defense and would be a Brady to Tampa scenario with Rodgers, came calling. I still believe he'd rather retire a packer than play another year somewhere else. Now if this was 5 years ago and teams came calling and we actually were considering moving on, maybe. Because then there is time to establish and play it out.

But I think his 1 team legacy is very important to him, and i'm not sure there's much chance he'd go anywhere else. He'd just retire.

His post game interview sure sounded like a guy that is not thinking elsewhere but thinking retirement.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the Packers won't be going to Super Bowls if Rodgers is gone, like they have been for the past 12 years? Ok.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But they could get draft capital. At least they might be able to.

Maybe after last year. Presently, I don't think too many teams are knocking down the door to give up any significant draft capital AND pay a sub-mediocre QB $60 mil per year.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be discussions in early March, but if AR says he wants to play another year the Packers may have no other "leverage" than to play on his ego & say "if you want to come back you'll be #3" which I can't imagine AR doing just to collect $60mil salary. I think AR still has future marketing earnings IF he leaves gracefully, but that'll be up to him.
MLF and company are not going to pay AR that kind of coin to be a #3. Unless management feels like a lot of folks here do they will most likely approach him and ask him if he is open to a trade. But I suspect unless he retires he will be back starting in 2023 unless Love beats him out in TC.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lest we forget Rodgers said prior to this season that he would "definitely" retire a Packer.

On one hand it would kind of be a bummer to see him play elsewhere for me, but practically speaking I'd rather get some return (for the same cap hit) than nothing, too. But I get the sense that's not really a consideration for him at the moment. Pretty much seems like it's either retire now or come back for one final year and then retirement.