Is it time for a "relax" for the offense?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Honestly we have a predictable Offense the Opposing D knows exactly what we run. Its just MM put so much on AR plate and AR is putting faith in the recievers. The recievers are not creating separation letting DB's jam them all the way up field. As far as the run game once again defences know our run plays and when your o-line is not doing that good, they are not creating wholes its like lacey and starks have to break like 4 tackles to get 4 yards. All im asking MM is to stop being so predictable.
I don't think the Packers offense is predictable. If it were it wouldn't be - and have been - so good under McCarthy. Look at the point production and the ranking in scoring offense since he arrived in Green Bay IMO lately it's a combination of not having much of a wide or deep passing game - which should change some when Adams returns - and a stretch of playing good Ds. As I posted before, Rodgers will have bad games now and then. At least a couple of times on Sunday he and the receivers - even Cobb weren't on the same page. And Rodgers was (mostly) responsible for three TOs at home - how often does that happen?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say I'm a bit concerned. Not that the offense won't be one of the better ones in the nfl, but it won't be "packer good" as it has been. I think Jordy means that much to this team, to pretend losing a borderline top 5 wr and everything will be as peachy as it was is kind of not giving Jordy enough credit to his contributions to this team. I still think we have an offense capable of winning a Super Bowl and top 5 in the nfl, but man I would've loved to have Jordy in there this year. Can't believe people who think James jones or davante Adams can be plugged in for Jordy and it be the same.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say I'm a bit concerned. Not that the offense won't be one of the better ones in the nfl, but it won't be "packer good" as it has been. I think Jordy means that much to this team, to pretend losing a borderline top 5 wr and everything will be as peachy as it was is kind of not giving Jordy enough credit to his contributions to this team. I still think we have an offense capable of winning a Super Bowl and top 5 in the nfl, but man I would've loved to have Jordy in there this year. Can't believe people who think James jones or davante Adams can be plugged in for Jordy and it be the same.

Well, Jones is on pace for about 1,300 yards and 16 TDS. So while is he Jordy, no he's not, the production has still been pretty much the same, at least so far.

I do agree the offense would certainly be that much better with Jordy still here.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
To be honest I think we can complain about the offense after the Packers first loss or a game won with no offensive scores. Its still too early to tell. When Rodgers actually plays worse than the opposing QB I say we start to question things.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have played some of the best defenses and pass rushers in the league the past few games. We wont light it up offensively every week.

Simple as that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Who said they think 'Jones or Adams plugged in for Jordy is the same'? Who is pretending everything will be peachy after losing Jordy? Perhaps someone who believes the O will be top 5 and capable of winning a title without him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that we didn't "light it up", It's that they just weren't very good. Outside of a couple big plays, this offense didn't really sustain anything despite a strong defense and favorable field position a lot of the game. i don't expect, or think we should be scoring 35 against absolutely everybody, but I would have liked to see a bit more consistency and moving the chains. I like big plays, but I don't like it when it seems like 2 big plays is all we had, though Rodgers did miss a third that was potentially points as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need Adams back to help open things up. Cobb isn't a great deep threat (but he's still a good deep threat) and Jones is best in scramble drills, when the play breaks down. Right now the Packers don't have a receiver that can stretch a defense to open up the underneath stuff for Cobb or Montgomery.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest I think we can complain about the offense after the Packers first loss or a game won with no offensive scores. Its still too early to tell. When Rodgers actually plays worse than the opposing QB I say we start to question things.

So we can't question the offense until Rodgers plays Brady or Carson Palmer? Because right now I don't think there's another QB capable of outplaying Rodgers, and those two would only do so if Rodgers was having an off day. This line of reasoning would seem to indicate that fans should only worry about the offense when the defense plays poorly, which doesn't make much sense.

Reaction score
Honestly we have a predictable Offense the Opposing D knows exactly what we run. Its just MM put so much on AR plate and AR is putting faith in the recievers. The recievers are not creating separation letting DB's jam them all the way up field. As far as the run game once again defences know our run plays and when your o-line is not doing that good, they are not creating wholes its like lacey and starks have to break like 4 tackles to get 4 yards. All im asking MM is to stop being so predictable.
Thank You! I emphatically agree. We have all the ingredients for an award winning meal. We have AR as our Top Chef. But what we are missing is the right seasoning. Anybody can throw together a decent meal (except my last girl friend but she made up in other areas)
Personally, this is just my opinion.. We are too conservative on the playbook. I would like to see more usage of Lacy, Starks and Montgomery out of the backfield in the short yardage passing game. This also gives AR the ability to dump the ball quickly if his 1st or 2nd read are covered and avoid the sack or injury. After watching Montgomery's good hands combined with quickness and upper body strength, I feel he is being underutilized out of the backfield (e.g, screens, sweeps, the 'ol GB Packer Power Play from the 60's)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kers-jerry-kramer-talks-about-the-power-sweep

Last edited:

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank You! I emphatically agree. We have all the ingredients for an award winning meal. We have AR as our Top Chef. But what we are missing is the right seasoning. Anybody can throw together a decent meal (except my last girl friend but she made up in other areas)
Personally, this is just my opinion.. We are too conservative on the playbook. I would like to see more usage of Lacy, Starks and Montgomery out of the backfield in the short yardage passing game. This also gives AR the ability to dump the ball quickly if his 1st or 2nd read are covered and avoid the sack or injury. After watching Montgomery's good hands combined with quickness and upper body strength, I feel he is being underutilized out of the backfield (e.g, screens, sweeps, the 'ol GB Packer Power Play from the 60's)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...kers-jerry-kramer-talks-about-the-power-sweep
Exactly, you see when we mix Cobb in the back field the packers was going up and down the field. Don't do it as an adjustment do it to set the tone. Throw in a lil 5 wide with motions Cobb out the back field or TY. Packers have all the tools to blow teams out. It's just we to predictable on O

D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly, you see when we mix Cobb in the back field the packers was going up and down the field. Don't do it as an adjustment do it to set the tone. Throw in a lil 5 wide with motions Cobb out the back field or TY. Packers have all the tools to blow teams out. It's just we to predictable on O

The Packers have one of the best offenses in the entire league but with Nelson and Adams out it shouldn't surprise anyone that the unit struggled against some good defenses. It's pretty obvious that neither Abbrederis nor Janis are ready to produce so there's no reason to line up with five receivers.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers offense is predictable. If it were it wouldn't be - and have been - so good under McCarthy. Look at the point production and the ranking in scoring offense since he arrived in Green Bay IMO lately it's a combination of not having much of a wide or deep passing game - which should change some when Adams returns - and a stretch of playing good Ds. As I posted before, Rodgers will have bad games now and then. At least a couple of times on Sunday he and the receivers - even Cobb weren't on the same page. And Rodgers was (mostly) responsible for three TOs at home - how often does that happen?
I hear ya, but as far as MM is concerned imo he was in the right place at the right time Ted and AR make him look good, he is far to conservative with the weapons he has on Offense. Grant it I don't think he's the worst coach but I don't think he's the best. I just want to see the pack open that play book up. Get a lil 5 wide or some dump offs to Eddie in the flats get big boy on some of them db's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have one of the best offenses in the entire league but with Nelson and Adams out it shouldn't surprise anyone that the unit struggled against some good defenses. It's pretty obvious that neither Abbrederis nor Janis are ready to produce so there's no reason to line up with five receivers.
I agree, 5 wides at this stage aren't the answer, but I wouldn't mind seeing both Cobb/montgomery and Lacy in the backfield. Too bad Quarless is out, 2 TE's then too, could be run or pass and option on every play depending on what the defense does. Something to change it up, though I don't think with the horses we still have, that changeups need to be a big part of the offense, just something to loosen things up.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hear ya, but as far as MM is concerned imo he was in the right place at the right time Ted and AR make him look good, he is far to conservative with the weapons he has on Offense. Grant it I don't think he's the worst coach but I don't think he's the best. I just want to see the pack open that play book up. Get a lil 5 wide or some dump offs to Eddie in the flats get big boy on some of them db's.
And Bill Walsh was lucky to have Montana and Belichick is lucky to have Brady, etc. IMO Thompson and Rodgers don't by themselves guarantee success. Of course McCarthy has his flaws like everyone but he's been a very successful offensive coach and he certainly had a hand in developing Rodgers. I wouldn't say he's the best, but he's currently near the top IMO.

BTW, I noticed you've switched from the play calling being too predictable to it being too conservative. I don't think either is accurate. I assume you didn't have a problem with the first three games this season since they averaged 32 points per game. How good an idea would 5 WRs sets been since Adams has been out? Cobb, Jones, and Montgomery have gotten the vast majority of snaps but what about Janis and Abbrederis? Janis hasn't earned Rodgers' trust so far and I believe Abbrederis has taken just one snap from scrimmage - the kneel down last Sunday. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

astarr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, as long as the defense is playing the way it is, our offense can work out the kinks on it's own.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Bill Walsh was lucky to have Montana and Belichick is lucky to have Brady, etc. IMO Thompson and Rodgers don't by themselves guarantee success. Of course McCarthy has his flaws like everyone but he's been a very successful offensive coach and he certainly had a hand in developing Rodgers. I wouldn't say he's the best, but he's currently near the top IMO.

BTW, I noticed you've switched from the play calling being too predictable to it being too conservative. I don't think either is accurate. I assume you didn't have a problem with the first three games this season since they averaged 32 points per game. How good an idea would 5 WRs sets been since Adams has been out? Cobb, Jones, and Montgomery have gotten the vast majority of snaps but what about Janis and Abbrederis? Janis hasn't earned Rodgers' trust so far and I believe Abbrederis has taken just one snap from scrimmage - the kneel down last Sunday. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Conservative predictable don't they run hand and hand I'm not switching. As far as five wide I'm not saying go out there and run 5 wide all game you also left out Richard Rodgers bring Cobb or Ty out the back field a play or 2 mix it up a lil is all I'm saying.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We shouldn't need to score 35 points a game each week to win games and championships
That's correct. But with our defense of the past four years that's been necessary, and unsuccessful. If the first 5 games are any indication maybe it's changing.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Jones is on pace for about 1,300 yards and 16 TDS. So while is he Jordy, no he's not, the production has still been pretty much the same, at least so far.

I do agree the offense would certainly be that much better with Jordy still here.

Yeah, but I don't think production and effectiveness are necessarily synonymous in this league.

Reaction score
I wanna see the playbook open up. We scored 17 points on offense last Sunday.. at home. that is not gonna get it done against powerhouse Offensive teams we're about to face. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings but we're damn lucky our D stepped up big time and scored 7 and stopped them in scoring position multiple times with turnovers, not to mention the other team missed 3 FG or we'd likely be 4-1 and having a different discussion in here.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna see the playbook open up. We scored 17 points on offense last Sunday.. at home. that is not gonna get it done against powerhouse Offensive teams we're about to face. I'm sorry if I hurt someone's feelings but we're damn lucky our D stepped up big time and scored 7 and stopped them in scoring position multiple times with turnovers, not to mention the other team missed 3 FG or we'd likely be 4-1 and having a different discussion in here.

Playing good defense wasn't lucky.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna see the playbook open up. We scored 17 points on offense last Sunday.. at home.
Listen - people were actually clamoring for the same before last year's game against the Patriots. Then McCarthy got creative.

Much like not showing much in the preseason, teams don't open up the full playbook until they need to do so. We are one of a few undefeated teams and our offense and defense are showing great balance. Why show our hand until needed? We are going to hit the hardest part of our schedule after the bye week. Let's not rush into premature matriculation. McCarthy would be wise to hold a few things back until later in the season and/or the playoffs.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I disagree with this.

Was hanging with Rodgers one day at the field. He told my 92 year old grandmother to go deep. She had no problems with the back shoulder catch. She did struggle with the Lambeau Leap, but one cannot expect Rodgers to be able make her look good with everything now, can he?

Then, Rodgers kicked Chuck Norris' butt.
:p
He's the second most interesting man in the world.

Members online

Latest posts