is everyone late to the party?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like most REAL packer fans (not the posers, haters, or favre fanatics) realized Rodgers was REALLY good awhile ago. I would say as early as his first season starting you could see he was great, he just didnt have a whole team to win with.

I remember maybe a year ago or so asking troy aikman who his favorite young QBs are to watch. He gushed about Matt Ryan and said he also really liked watching Philip Rivers, and Matt Schaub. Never even mentioned Rodgers. I was surprised and slightly confused. Was I blinded by the fact that I am a Packer fan? Or is everyone just sleeping on a great player?

I think everyone was sleeping, because all week I have heard about how wonderful ARod is and how great his arm is and blah blah blah. Im sorry but where were you when he was making great plays behind a swiss cheese Oline? Did you miss the AZ game? How did that turn into a "well he has to win a playoff game to be considered a good QB."? Im sorry but that was the best show I have seen performed in the desert since I saw Siegfried and Roy in Vegas. Basically thats my rant. I cant stand the national media beat Rodgers down and now they love him like a son. Sorry but he didnt just become a great QB 3 weeks ago.

Oh and with a win Sunday, Rodgers would have as many road playoff wins as Brett Favre did his entire career. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing when watching "out of the huddle" or whatever that was.. Dion still on the fence! WTH??

Makes me wonder what the panel will be saying on Monday! :spiteful:
* As I envision 12 throwing a zinger to knock Dion of said fence!!! lol!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking of all the people who said the Packers were done by game 5 of the season but I decided not to dwell on it. I'm too damned happy Ivo, I don't care about any of that anymore. It doesn't matter. Just let there be football and let the Packers win. To hell with all those who doubt. Amen.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
Man I knew he was a beast at Cal... once we drafted him I was pumped!!! Glad he didnt go to the niners... For all you sleepers... Hello, Good morning!!!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I believed Rodgers did very well his first season and it was the Packers D that blew it, and the argument was Rodgers needs to make up with scoring more points. WTF, you can't do every game as a shootout. Rodgers said that he felt is first year as a starter was an accomplishment when the Packers beat the Lions in a losing season yet the fans stood up and applauded him. I figure at that time the Packers had their green and gold glasses tinted toward Rodgers while everyone else was still figuring out who to focus on.

Second season I want to say was Rodgers versus Favre and the forever terrible arguments that follow. Last year's playoff game felt like Rodgers first season all over again. we have a pretty dang good QB but our Defense blows the game. What is worse is Rodgers was sacked like none other, put up the big numbers, and still not recognized and labeled a maybe. What I saw as complete BS and we all know it, Favre's numbers last years were crazy, A-Rod's numbers were some better some worse. And A-Rod again had to be compared to him.

This year Favre became a drama queen and still commanded attention from everyone else, but people are finally noticing Rodgers now that he is gone. The media is just coming to the party because Rodgers was too hot for them to handle.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the game against the Cowboys in 2007 (Thursday night game) when Favre got injured and Rodgers played an awesome game that showed he would be a good QB in the NFL!

Also, doesn't hurt to have an awesome defense!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
It was the game against the Cowboys in 2007 (Thursday night game) when Favre got injured and Rodgers played an awesome game that showed he would be a good QB in the NFL!

Also, doesn't hurt to have an awesome defense!

That's when I first said. This dude is gonna be good!! I told my mailman that down here in Texas after the game that Rodgers would win GB a SB someday. He looked at me like I was crazy. Well, he's 60 minutes away from going to the SB!

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. I also think most of the criticism of Rodgers isn't because he's a bad player, but because of who he followed. Rodgers lit up the stat sheet in his first year as a starter, and even before then, we saw on a national stage what he was capable of.

But alas, 6-10 doesn't earn you praise, no matter how well you play. 4,000 yards, 9 picks and 30 TD's wasn't good enough. It suddenly became, "Have a winning season and make the playoffs first."

Year #2- Finish 11-5, he throws for 4,000 yards and 30 td's again, while only having 7 picks and it's "Win a playoff game, then we'll talk."

This year- Despite missing 1.5 games due to a concussion, he throws for damn near 4,000 yards and 30 TD's again, 11 picks and it became, "But you didn't win your division, the Bears laid down to let you in and you need to win a playoff game."

Two road playoff wins later it's, "Win the Super Bowl first."

Seriously, as*holes, WTF does the guy need to do to get you to concede that he's a good QB? Does he need to throw for 60 TD's, 0 picks, win MVP, the division, the NFC, the Super Bowl and be Super Bowl MVP? The bar just keeps getting raised on the guy, which tells me people really don't want to believe in him. Or they don't want to let that other guy go. Whatever floats their boat, I guess.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first time I took notice of Rodgers was during a Cowboys game in '07. Favre wasn't doing **** in that game, then got injured. Rodgers came in and points started going up on the board. I was like wow, we may be on to something here. That following summer, when all the "Favre Drama" was going on I was probably one of the few Packer fans that was perfectly fine letting Brett walk and rolling the dice with Aaron. I was tired of the drama, and liked how he was drama free.

After he started his first game that year against the Vikings and we won, I was hooked. I was quite impressed with him in that game. He just had poise and confidence that I hadn't seen out of a rookie QB. I was a fan ever since.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, Rodgers is as good as Farve ever was, if not better. The only doubters are dumb *** analysts on sport shows who drum up controversy to get people watch the show.

You got Marshall Faulk on NFL network telling everybody that he'd take Cutler over Rodgers!! Really Marshall, Really!???????

Basically out of the 4 panelists. Each one picked one of the QB's playing on Sunday. You REALLY think that is legit? BS. Just NFL creating hype so all sides are happy and tune in and keep the ratings high. Same with the douches who say win a playoff game, 2 playoff games, NFCCG, SB then we'll buy in, etc... Just talking to get people to listen, get upset and tune it.

The NFL's marketing is getting a little like wrestling if you ask me.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Two road playoff wins later it's, "Win the Super Bowl first."

Seriously, as*holes, WTF does the guy need to do to get you to concede that he's a good QB? Does he need to throw for 60 TD's, 0 picks, win MVP, the division, the NFC, the Super Bowl and be Super Bowl MVP? The bar just keeps getting raised on the guy, which tells me people really don't want to believe in him. Or they don't want to let that other guy go. Whatever floats their boat, I guess.

Those are the Favre fans...

I think most fans of the NFL knows he is good

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are the Favre fans...

I think most fans of the NFL knows he is good

Most of your more knowledgeable fans recognize the talent he has, so some of that is probably envious fans of other teams in the NFC North or even older rivals like Cowboys, 49ers or Tampa Bay fans. And of course the Favreies.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early in training camp 2008, a couple of Favrie-Dolls were trying to drum up support for a "bring back Favre" rally. I remember Kampman (another class act) giving those of us cheering for Rodgers; a big thumbs up! Weary of the drama, many of us in Packer Nation saw the Favre era coming to an end and were ready to give Rodgers a chance!

This year in the heart of Viking country; I've had a few good laughs when my Viking pals have offered to give Favre back to the Packers. I just grin and tell them, "that train has left the station!"

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one noticed?

Ivo said when he ASKED Troy Aikman

Hmmmmm

it was over twitter, sorry I should have stated that. Didnt mean to mislead. I dont know troy personally. Wish I did though, he seems like a nice guy, minus that country album he released.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Rodgers had potential, but I never thought it could be quite as good as Favre. Servicable yes, but this year he has played like noone I've remembered since oh. Montana maybe? I mean Brady and Manning are good, but they weren't this good that early in their careers were they?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank god x 1,000 the prima drama queen is gone!
We would not be here if he was still here.
It would have either been a losing season or BrINT would have blown the Eagles playoff.

As another poster pointed out, that's probably why A-Rod is being held up to certain standards.
They are probably pissed at the Packers organization and they are having a hard time letting go of the old rust bucket.
However, I'm not so sure that I've ever heard negative talk towards A-Rod.
Every time I tune in, all I hear are good things about him.

Packerstud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a work in progress. In 2003 playing for the Golden Bears he had a problem reading D schemes and wasn't very mobile.

In the over time victory at the Insight Bowl against Virginia Tech was where I first took notice. His accuracy is what made me think he could make it in the pros.

In 2008 he just couldn't seem to win the close games. In last minute game changing series he seemed to choke a lot. Fold under pressure. I was unsure that year if we were right in starting him.

In 2009 he just held the ball to damn long. Once again I questioned his decision making and wondered if he had the "football presence" to make it in the NFL.

I not sure what happened, but after the devastating loss to a previously winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers in week 8 something big changed. We went on to win the next 7 of 8 that year and Rodgers seemed more confident and much smarter.

If he can stay healthy, he should be one of the games best QBs.
:chisux:

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything was stacked up against him following Favre, who was a media dream for his entire career, while Rodgers is quite the opposite.

Yeah he put up stats in 08, but 6-10 won't draw much attention or praise no matter what the stats. We had just got rid of Favre after an NFC championship loss so it's really easy to point to the record.

Then last year he had a really good year... but there was the question of how long he held the ball which combined with our swiss cheese oline led to 50 sacks. Statistically he still had a good season, but Favre had a better one, so of course it wasn't going to be good enough.

This year Favre was a gong show and Arod was awesome in some games and struggled in others. He's put together one hell of a run since that 2nd concussion (more later on that) that is making people turn heads. Obviously last week's game was one of the best games ever (debatably 2nd best to Warner's vs us last year).

as much as I hate to say it, Brett Favre is the reason the media and everyone outside of GB fans took so long to "accept" what he is, but he is also the reason why Packer fans clung on to Rodgers so quickly (those that weren't Favre fans). We needed to justify our team making the right choice and clung to stats and what we saw, plus Favre was on front pages everywhere since he left GB.

What's impressed me the most about him wasn't his stats or anything, it's how much he's progressed each year as our leader. It wouldn't have been unheard of for him to have 1 (or even a 2nd) good season and then regress. It's happened before, and will again. But after year 3 and what we're seeing now, we have come upon something special. The only question left about A-rod is the concussions. He needs to adjust his game (again) to minimize this risk. If he can do that... we are looking at potentially another one of the greatest of all time. His legacy is truly beginning now and I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Might as well end this rant with:

In A-Rod we trust!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
ESPN seems to be on board mostly. Most of them are saying how he now can rank with the greats like Brady and Manning. They just didnt wanna call him a great before he won a playoff game.

Would YOU call tony **** a great? He only is good in the regular season

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't remember when I saw him the first time as a Packer but he lit me up. I could see the kid had very good tools and I almost wished he was the starter. Never been a huge BF fan and this kid gave me glimpse of what would be. Now he is living up to my expectations and I predict he will surpass BF in the only stat that really counts - Super Bowl championships.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had another thought on this topic:
In regards to the Atlanta game, media was saying that it was an almost perfect game for Rodgers.
Um.....ALMOST? 4 TDs and the dude ran it into the end zone.
How can he get it more perfect than that? Throw it up to the moon?
#6 beat #1 on the others turf and after losing a reg. season game to them just weeks prior.
I don't care what anyone else says or thinks. For A-Rod, that was a perfect game.

If it had been BrINT I have a feeling they would have called it a perfect game.
Yeah, I think they are being biased towards Rodgers.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Aaron would have to win the super bowl, while blind folded, without being touched, against the best defense in the league (so he has his chance if the Steelers make it) While injured, every pass must be caught, and every kind of pass must be made, a bullet, lob, hail mary, tight throw, across his body, ect, with a 102 rushing touchdown from a pass to himself, with a perfect QB rating. Have it be from a come behind win, and 5 touchdown passes and 5 2 point conversions. Then autograph every one's ticket and not ignore a single person.

Then and only then will people say he is a decent QB.

Members online