Is Clay Matthews a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’ll be in there right beside LeRoy Butler... oh wait... you mean the one in Canton Ohio? I’ll be suprised if he even gets nominated... seriously.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.
He’s a former pfwa defensive player of the year, 6x pro bowler, 3x all pro, 5th all time in career postseason sacks, can easily move into top 2 or 3 this season, and Super Bowl champion. When it’s all said and done, he will increase his number totals & hopefully add another Super Bowl.
I think he’s a hall of farmer.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Right up there with Old McDonald.

When I saw I got a notification, I thought it was going to be some type of meaningful or contributory post or even a rebuttal to my opinion. But instead I got a typo joke, nice. Never disappointed with the quality of this forum lol.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm sorry.... he is 1x all pro... eight years ago

He was the best at his position for one year early in his career

Pro bowls are like popcorn... by the time super bowl players can’t go and players with hang nails opt out going to a pro bowl doesnt mean much...

So lets review the bidding.... he flashed at the top of his craft ONCE early in his career has been a good player on mediocre defenses since... disappearing at times (notably with a Super Bowl apearance on the line against Seattle)

He’ll be lucky to get on a ballot and if Ted Thompson could draft he’d be taking a pay cut or be playing elsewhere

Who do we talk about next for the hall...Jordy??? LOL

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm sorry.... he is 1x all pro... eight years ago

He was the best at his position for one year early in his career

Pro bowls are like popcorn... by the time super bowl players can’t go and players with hang nails opt out going to a pro bowl doesnt mean much...

So lets review the bidding.... he flashed at the top of his craft ONCE early in his career has been a good player on mediocre defenses since... disappearing at times (notably with a Super Bowl apearance on the line against Seattle)

He’ll be lucky to get on a ballot and if Ted Thompson could draft he’d be taking a pay cut or be playing elsewhere

Who do we talk about next for the hall...Jordy??? LOL

Ummmmm sorry..... he’s a 3x all pro. Twice second team, but still all pro team.

D

Deleted member 6794

I reckon I’d agree with that.

Just take a look at players ahead of Matthews in total sacks that have made the first All-Pro team more than once and are currently not in the HOF:

Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware (four times), Dwight Freeney, Von Miller, Julius Peppers (three times), John Abraham, Elvis Dumervil, James Harrison, Steve McMichael, Clyde Simmons and Pat Swilling (twice).

Taking a look at that list there are definitely several players on it being way more deserving of making it to Canton.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubtful for the reasons mentioned. Had he maintained his 2010 season form, probably. But injuries prevented that. To get into the HOF he will need to buy a ticket like the rest of us.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw I got a notification, I thought it was going to be some type of meaningful or contributory post or even a rebuttal to my opinion. But instead I got a typo joke, nice. Never disappointed with the quality of this forum lol.

Hey, when you serve up softballs...

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Humor never misses an opportunity.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has about the same odds of getting in as Tim Harris. Hasn’t even been the best player at his position in the nfc north and now some are putting him on the list of all time best, my goodness fellas, thanks for the laughs.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh come on Mike.... he might not be FIRST team All NFC North, but second team NFC North is still all NFC Nortb

Conso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Packer HoF sure, NFL no. He had a short stint at top then injuries, crappy supporting cast, he has been on a downhill slide since 2010. Maybe if he finds that fire again for last few years here MAYBE. If he got in for that one great season, we might as well throw Don Majkowski (probably misspelled his name bad, but you know who I mean) in there too. IMO 1 or 2 good seasons hell even 3 shouldn’t get you into NFL HoF. Team HoF sure though.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just take a look at players ahead of Matthews in total sacks that have made the first All-Pro team more than once and are currently not in the HOF:

Jared Allen, DeMarcus Ware (four times), Dwight Freeney, Von Miller, Julius Peppers (three times), John Abraham, Elvis Dumervil, James Harrison, Steve McMichael, Clyde Simmons and Pat Swilling (twice).

Taking a look at that list there are definitely several players on it being way more deserving of making it to Canton.

Why do you bother to list a bunch guys who aren't even eligible for the HOF and present the fact that they are not in it as part of your evidence that CM3 should not be in it? That's like saying Aaron Rodgers isn't good enough to be in the HOF because Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady aren't in it. The only ones on your list who are eligible are Simmons, McMichael and Swilling. Of those three, the only one who played the same position was Swilling.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts