Is Clay Matthews a Pro Football Hall of Famer?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I saw I got a notification, I thought it was going to be some type of meaningful or contributory post or even a rebuttal to my opinion. But instead I got a typo joke, nice. Never disappointed with the quality of this forum lol.

That was your first mistake. Where does mine fit in?:D

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you bother to list a bunch guys who aren't even eligible for the HOF and present the fact that they are not in it as part of your evidence that CM3 should not be in it? That's like saying Aaron Rodgers isn't good enough to be in the HOF because Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady aren't in it. The only ones on your list who are eligible are Simmons, McMichael and Swilling. Of those three, the only one who played the same position was Swilling.

Unless he means there will be a lot of competition for enshrinement by the time those other guys are eligible as well. I think Ware, Peppers, Freeney will be in for sure. Harrison too probably and I think they will be in before CM3 is even eligible so they won't be competition. Heck they may even be in before he retires if he can hang on long enough. Allen I'm not sure. He of reminds me a lot of Matthews going off memory. Very good for a period but just not the longevity. Miller could still go the CM3 route and fall off the planet but he would probably need a bigger fall than Clay has had so far. Don't know enough about Abraham or Elvis entire careers to say. Elvis probably but I'm not sure about his longevity either.

I don't think CM3 is worthy but I think he could still work his way in. If he has three more above average seasons I could see the argument for it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm sorry.... he is 1x all pro... eight years ago

He was the best at his position for one year early in his career

Pro bowls are like popcorn... by the time super bowl players can’t go and players with hang nails opt out going to a pro bowl doesnt mean much...

So lets review the bidding.... he flashed at the top of his craft ONCE early in his career has been a good player on mediocre defenses since... disappearing at times (notably with a Super Bowl apearance on the line against Seattle)

He’ll be lucky to get on a ballot and if Ted Thompson could draft he’d be taking a pay cut or be playing elsewhere

Who do we talk about next for the hall...Jordy??? LOL

when you say best you mean statistically right? He certainly was considered a force to be reckoned with for more than one year. Maybe not deservedly so but there were a few years when he was considered as one of the best at his position.

Is it enough, I don't think so but it is doing him a huge disservice to say he was only good for 1 year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Imo Aaron Kampman was better at rushing the passer than Matthews and he’s not sniffing Canton. I clearly believe had Kampman never Been FORCED to play OLB and out of Green Bay he’d be the all times sacks leader in GB history by a mile.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the sportswriters might ogle Matthews...the name will not hurt him....he needs to have success again very soon though to be seriously considered.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mathews still has a chance I'd say. His dad played like 20 years or something awesome. It would help if Clay could do that too...

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Hope he can be. And really get another Super Bowl and another great year to prove it. He comes from a long line of football dynasty there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think he’s a hall of farmer.

Yep. Right up there with Old McDonald.

When I saw I got a notification, I thought it was going to be some type of meaningful or contributory post or even a rebuttal to my opinion. But instead I got a typo joke, nice. Never disappointed with the quality of this forum lol.

Come on man! You didn't even find it at least "this much" funny?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Why do you bother to list a bunch guys who aren't even eligible for the HOF and present the fact that they are not in it as part of your evidence that CM3 should not be in it? That's like saying Aaron Rodgers isn't good enough to be in the HOF because Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Tom Brady aren't in it. The only ones on your list who are eligible are Simmons, McMichael and Swilling. Of those three, the only one who played the same position was Swilling.

I mentioned edge rushers currently not eligible for the Hall of Fame as Matthews will be compared to them by voters once they decide if he's worthy of making it to Canton. At this point Clay definitely doesn't deserve to be mentioned with any of them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned edge rushers currently not eligible for the Hall of Fame as Matthews will be compared to them by voters once they decide if he's worthy of making it to Canton. At this point Clay definitely doesn't deserve to be mentioned with any of them.

Yeah, but you mentioned the fact that they were not in the HOF, which at this point is completely irrelevant. And BTW he damn well does deserve to be mentioned with them.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.
He’s a former pfwa defensive player of the year, 6x pro bowler, 3x all pro, 5th all time in career postseason sacks, can easily move into top 2 or 3 this season, and Super Bowl champion. When it’s all said and done, he will increase his number totals & hopefully add another Super Bowl.
I think he’s a hall of farmer.

He needs a couple more strong years. Matthews would have been a Hall of Famer but for his nagging injuries.

If Pettine reinvigorates Matthews career, which might happen he very well could wind up in the hall. Dont underestimate the difference that a change in scheme and or usage can make. See Matthews improved play last year when he started getting lined up in the 7 and wide 9 tech.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, but you mentioned the fact that they were not in the HOF, which at this point is completely irrelevant. And BTW he damn well does deserve to be mentioned with them.

All of the players that I mentioned deserve to be in the HOF long before Matthews should have a shot at it. BTW he's not in the same class as any of them.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews won't get in. Kevin Greene a much better outside linebacker can't get in, no shot for Clay. He's more a rep than a player anymore.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the players that I mentioned deserve to be in the HOF long before Matthews should have a shot at it. BTW he's not in the same class as any of them.

Your opinion does not equate to fact. In my opinion, he's right there on their heels. He's a 6 time Pro Bowler, once on All Pro first team and for 3 or 4 years he was one of the most feared players at his position, commanding constant double-teams and making teams game plan specifically to deal with him. Terrell Davis has already set the precedent that it only takes 3 good years to be HOF worthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews won't get in. Kevin Greene a much better outside linebacker can't get in, no shot for Clay.

Greene was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2016.

Your opinion does not equate to fact. In my opinion, he's right there on their heels. He's a 6 time Pro Bowler, once on All Pro first team and for 3 or 4 years he was one of the most feared players at his position, commanding constant double-teams and making teams game plan specifically to deal with him. Terrell Davis has already set the precedent that it only takes 3 good years to be HOF worthy.

The numbers don't support your claim that Matthews has performed on a level with the players I mentioned though. Opposing defenses had to game plan for every other one for most of their careers as well so that's a moot point.

Davis was dominant for his first four seasons in the league being named first team All-Pro three times though. In addition his numbers in the playoffs are insane.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that separates Matthews from a lot of the names been tossed around here is when the games on the line those guys stepped up and made the play that took the game over numerous times throughout their careers. More times than not where’s 52 when the chips are down? Either injured, or taking a breather while hosing himself down.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers don't support your claim that Matthews has performed on a level with the players I mentioned though.

You should know that numbers alone do not measure a player's value. Particularly, you seem to favor sacks as the measure of a linebacker. How many sacks did Derrick Brooks have?

Davis was dominant for his first four seasons in the league being named first team All-Pro three times though. In addition his numbers in the playoffs are insane.

Davis also played a position where success very much rides on the performance of the OL and Denver had a monster run-blocking OL in front of him. He had a lot of help to do what he did.

How much help did CM3 have? In his first 4 seasons he had 42.5 sacks, and most of that time he was facing consistent double teams because he was the only real pass rusher we had. And his impact went far beyond his sack total. He was generally disruptive in the backfield player after play whether he got all the way home or not.

But since you're a numbers only guy, let's talk about Pat Swilling since he is the best comparison as far as position, size, athleticism and the manner in which he was utilized on defense. You said that he should be in the HoF long before CM3 gets a shot. Swilling averaged 0.59 sacks per game. CM3 has 0.63 sacks per game. Swilling averaged 2.53 tackles per game. Pretty damn comparable. And I bet you anything Clay's numbers will only improve under Pettine.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that separates Matthews from a lot of the names been tossed around here is when the games on the line those guys stepped up and made the play that took the game over numerous times throughout their careers.
Do you have specific examples of them all doing that or are you speculating? BTW, most of the guys he was comparing play a different position.

Members online