Interesting idea for Rodgers

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the papers this morning(J-S, maybe) said the team is contemplating sending Aaron Rodgers to NFL-Europe.

I can't remember another #1 QB going there his first year(I think Akili Smith went his second) but it might be an intriguing idea. He would get a couple of games under his belt before the draft. If nothing else, he would get some game exposure.

I keep getting the sense that if Matt Leinart or V. Young(if he comes out) were around, the Packers might draft either one.

There were rumblings that Rodgers was not impressing the coaching staff.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats true but Brett Favre never impressed coaches his first year either. Me personally I like the idea of sending him to NFL-E if nothing else to let him function at game speed.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe this is a staff that can develop a QB. Favre has gotten worse under their tuteledge and play calling.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
One of the papers this morning(J-S, maybe) said the team is contemplating sending Aaron Rodgers to NFL-Europe.

I can't remember another #1 QB going there his first year(I think Akili Smith went his second) but it might be an intriguing idea. He would get a couple of games under his belt before the draft. If nothing else, he would get some game exposure.

I keep getting the sense that if Matt Leinart or V. Young(if he comes out) were around, the Packers might draft either one.

There were rumblings that Rodgers was not impressing the coaching staff.

Yes I believe that NFL Europe will be a fair training ground for him.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
I don't believe this is a staff that can develop a QB. Favre has gotten worse under their tuteledge and play calling.

BRAD CHILDRESS...i've been saying since april if mike sherman gets a hold of aaron rodgers, that pick is in the shredder

no more mention of young or leinart, please...trade down unless we get a crack at reggie bush

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last first round QB that a team wanted to send to NFL-E I believe was Jim Druckenmiller of the 49'ers. His agent vehemently objected saying "1st round picks do not go to Europe."

Well the 49'ers found a free agent from the Canadian league by the name of Jeff Garcia and Druckenmiller was cut. I don't think he landed with another team but if he did, he disappeared fast, a bust with a captial B.

The Packers have an interest in developing their raw rookies. Rodgers should have an interest in developing his skills and making the team happy. He only had 2 years of big time college football after transfer from junior college.

I believe he has the right to say no as Ferrario did.
Saying no can make him trade bait to Jets, Ravens, or Miami. There were other players available with that #24 pick that would have paid more dividends.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does NFL-E work like the minor leagues in baseball? I mean, do you just send guys there and then call 'em up when you need 'em?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
BRAD CHILDRESS... I've been saying, since April, that if Mike Sherman gets a hold of Aaron Rodgers, that pick is in the shredder!

PLEASE - No more mention of Vince Young or Matt Leinart, ... trade down, unless we get a crack at Reggie Bush

I've embellished this a bit - but, my first thought was to quote NET - I've gone this route as "084" struck a cord...

I didn't like the Rodgers signing either. I thought it odd that he fell so quickly within 48 hours, I believe, of Draft Day - have to re-read draft thread material from last year again.... What's more, believe it or not, I think Kyle Orton has held up pretty well considering he is forced into the starting position instead of being allowed to grow into the spot - big diff all around..... I really wanted to Packers to draft Orton - wasn't it in the fourth round, last year? Had that been the play made - then we would probably have had a chance at a bull rusher on Defense - serious mistake.

I still like Vince Young over Matt Leinart, the more I read up on him - he was forced to solo this ride at Texas in more ways than one. He's got moxie! I don't think he'll be listed in the first round, either... so ... well, there ya go!

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't think vince young will be listed in the first rd? as in drafted? this yr or next, he'll be top 5.

Cheez-Druckenmiller caught on with miami for a yr then a couple yrs ago did a stint with indy, but i don't think he ever saw a snap.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vixtalkn: To answer your question, the NFL-E season ends before the NFL season begins, so players can and do play in both leagues in one year. This can be exhausting for some players (especially running backs), but it's not too bad for a QB.

My own question is whether NFL-E players can participate in the minicamps back here in the U.S. If yes, then it would be good to send Rodgers over there. If no, then he should stay here because he is the #2 QB and he needs to attend those minicamps so he can be in sync with the offense.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
vixtalkn: To answer your question, the NFL-E season ends before the NFL season begins, so players can and do play in both leagues in one year. This can be exhausting for some players (especially running backs), but it's not too bad for a QB.

My own question is whether NFL-E players can participate in the minicamps back here in the U.S. If yes, then it would be good to send Rodgers over there. If no, then he should stay here because he is the #2 QB and he needs to attend those minicamps so he can be in sync with the offense.

NFL-E players end up missing minicamps here due to the season over there.

Sander played NFLE this year and I think it's affecting his play as the weather's getting cold. He should come back better next year.

As for Rogers, don't send him until you know that Brett is going to return. If he's not going to return, then Rogers should stay here. If Brett is coming back, then let Rogers gain some game-time experience.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know...Nall went to NFLE, led the league, lost backup status to unproven draft pick. He's a good trade bait for more picks at nothing else. May even be able to succeed in the NFL. Hard to say.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, sixone220. The last I heard of Druckenmiller was his **** trial. But I think Druckenniller is the closest example of what is being considered with Rodgers. I do not think it is a stigma to play in Europe(Germany).

NFL-E serves a pupose and I don't like the Jerry Jones' and Daniel Snyders who don't like helping to finance it. It is unfortunate that there is not a team in Spain or Britain anymore and the team furthest from the Rhine is Berlin.

Rodgers could use the game situations as learning tools. Keeping him emersed it football during the off season will be good for him. The Packers should send a QB every year they can. This year Nall's replacement will not be with the Packers in time to send him. The Packers may have to purchase an injury insurance policy as that is the only bad thing that can come from it.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not very common to send a 1st round pick to NFLE, but I'd have no problem sending Rodgers over there to get some work. It did wonders for Jake Delhomme, even though he wasn't a high draft pick. If he was a high round runningback I'd be against it because of the additional pounding he'd take, but for a QB I think it would be a good thing to get some additional playing time.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was reading that it would not be good to send him,that they should keep him here and let him play in practice more,we would all like brett to play for another year,but we do know you can get hurt wouldnt want it to happen,but if it does rogers needs to be ready.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan4ever said:
i was reading that it would not be good to send him,that they should keep him here and let him play in practice more,we would all like brett to play for another year,but we do know you can get hurt wouldnt want it to happen,but if it does rogers needs to be ready.

If he's gonna do it right - then (if it was me) I'd hire Don Majikowski as my Personal Trainer, starting the very day the regular Season ends.

Back in the beginning - at the start of the return to greatness - a new guy, now named Majik Man - came to a land, called Green Bay. And there was awe in the air...

Majik Man didn't go home in the Off Season, when he donned the green and gold. He stayed! He asked a few others to stay with him, as well. They spent those HOT days on the unfrozen Tundra and molded greatness - into what would become some of the more memorable Season(s).... in years!

If I were Aaron Rodgers - and I wanted to make an impression on the Coaching Staff? I'd not be going home to California, or wherever.... I'd plant seed in Green Bay!

It worked once before - why not again?

Latest posts