Inside Linebackers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously we haven't played one game yet, so it's too early to really tell what we have on our hands. However, there was a lot of emphatic statements here during the offseason that the Packers and TT have consistently ignored the ILB position and left us vulnerable. That could still be true, but I suspect that many folks like myself have been pleasantly surprised with the play of our ILBs so far. Barrington seems fluid, Martinez may be an instant starter, Bradford is flying around, and Joe Thomas is making his own case. Jake Ryan just go cleared to play so hopefully we'll start to see if he has figured it out in Year 2.

Certainly I'm not boasting about a giant turnaround, but at the moment, I see our ILBs as potentially stable but not a liability. If our DL group is average, our ILBs average, our OLBs above average, and our secondary elite....this could be a darn good defense in 2016.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no denying the inside linebackers have performed on a higher level than expected during the first two preseason games. Hopefully the unit will be able to continue that trend in the regular season as well.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that they will get much of a test until Week 2 at Minnesota. In theory the Chiefs have a formidable offensive game to throw at us, but it's rarely starters playing in that fourth preseason game.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez, Barrington, Ryan and Thomas will be our four ILB's this year I am guessing. Bradford will be the odd man out, unless we keep 5.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Martinez, Barrington, Ryan and Thomas will be our four ILB's this year I am guessing. Bradford will be the odd man out, unless we keep 5.

I'm not so sure about Thomas. He looks better, but he was awful last year. Bradford IMO will beat him out.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that they will get much of a test until Week 2 at Minnesota. In theory the Chiefs have a formidable offensive game to throw at us, but it's rarely starters playing in that fourth preseason game.
Don't sleep on the Jaguars. They are a young team that may surprise people this season. The defense looks much better on paper and the offense was stellar last year. Big Bortles throwing to Allen Bros is a dangerous combination. Im confident we win but the Jags aren't a team to overlook. We start the season with 2 tough homegames I believe!

P

proudsoftballdad

The Jags maybe the most improved team in the NFL lot of expectations and thier running game may improve vassly this year, 1st game of the year sold out not going to be easy ,I am not saying THE Jags will win, But We Are Going To Have To Play UP To Our capabilities no 1st game letdown that's for sure.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Jaguars. They are a young team that may surprise people this season. The defense looks much better on paper and the offense was stellar last year. Big Bortles throwing to Allen Bros is a dangerous combination. Im confident we win but the Jags aren't a team to overlook. We start the season with 2 tough homegames I believe!

Jaguars aren't no joke. Probably good we play them early while they're still gelling as a team. Should win still but the Jaguars aren't to be looked past anymore

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect Bradford and Thomas to battle for the last inside linebacker spot on the roster.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about Thomas. He looks better, but he was awful last year. Bradford IMO will beat him out.
Discounting a UDFA playing in his first season of NFL games is harsh. This wasn't a first round pick, so yeah, he had a lot to learn. He doesn't have the preferred size or measurables, but I think that he and Bradford are in the same zone as Captain stated, they will be competing for the final spot. There's no reason to bash his first season. The Packers threw him into the mix out of desperation.

ILB may be an area to keep an extra player in light of Ryan's current injury and the recovery of Barrington, so Thomas and Bradford might both make the 53.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen odd man out is Thomas. Bradford has played better. Although, with Ryan being a 2nd year man who hasn't gotten into a game yet, it could be Ryan getting cut, I doubt it but it could be.

D

Deleted member 6794

Based on what I've seen odd man out is Thomas. Bradford has played better. Although, with Ryan being a 2nd year man who hasn't gotten into a game yet, it could be Ryan getting cut, I doubt it but it could be.

There's absolutely no way Ryan gets released in favor of Bradford or Thomas.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas is around because he is fast enough to cover and get to the sideline. He isn't very good and isn't a strong tackler. Martinez can cover which makes having thomas less important an with Burnett getting some nickel lb snaps it kind of takes away his playing time. Bradford seems like more of an all around back up now that he has developed into somewhat of an NFL player this off/pre season. Ryan needs to get back from the laundry list of Lovat hammy pulls though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Martinez can cover which makes having thomas less important an with Burnett getting some nickel lb snaps it kind of takes away his playing time.

Unfortunately Burnett hasn't been able to play a single snap during the preseason because of a back injury. Therefore I don't expect him to line up as a hybrid linebacker/safety anytime soon in the regular season.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez are really a great duo. I did not have much hope for these two, but I must say they have been the most consistent the past 2 games of anyone on the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez are really a great duo. I did not have much hope for these two, but I must say they have been the most consistent the past 2 games of anyone on the team.

The inside linebackers have played surprisingly well. Joe Thomas is improved over last season as well.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan looks like he got faster since last season. He flies all over the field.

H

HardRightEdge

Jake Ryan looks like he got faster since last season. He flies all over the field.
Ryan ran 4.65 at the Combine. He'd outrun Martinez in foot race, and would have a year ago. Thinking blunts instincts and quickness; when that happens a guy looks slow when he actually isn't. Capers requires a lot of thinking initially; once the player internalizes the mandatory lessons he'll look faster. That Ryan is not the quick study that Martinez proved to be is evident. He is starting to look like the decent football player I've been optimistic he would become.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

The inside linebackers have played surprisingly well. Joe Thomas is improved over last season as well.
I'm not surprised by Ryan; he showed marked improvement over the back half of last season. I'm surprised by Martinez' veteran-like maturity in coordinating this kaleidoscope of front 7 packages, while also being surprised by his toughness against the run. He's not going to blow guys up, but he gets the job done.

Thomas has looked surprisingly quick and instinctual compared to his feet-in-cement look last season. It looks like some kind of light went on.

There's still work to be done. Seeing rush 3 or 4, dropping 7 or 8 in dime, and receivers uncovered 10 yards down the field when you'd expect an ILB to be in the vicinity is not the kind of prevent/bend-don't-break that Capers has in mind. At least I hope not.

Yeah, sure, giving up 15 on 3rd. and 18 is not the end of the world, but it sure doesn't help seeing the offense pinned at the 10 yard line as a result.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its beginning to look like ILB is beginning to be a strength of our defense, oddly.

H

HardRightEdge

Its beginning to look like ILB is beginning to be a strength of our defense, oddly.
Reports of Peppers demise have been greatly exaggerated. Matthews is clearly back where he belongs. Perry has looked good. OLB is the straw that stirs the drink of this defense.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's still work to be done. Seeing rush 3 or 4, dropping 7 or 8 in dime, and receivers uncovered 10 yards down the field when you'd expect an ILB to be in the vicinity is not the kind of prevent/bend-don't-break that Capers

Yeah, sure, giving up 15 on 3rd. and 18 is not the end of the world, but it sure doesn't help seeing the offense pinned at the 10 yard line as a result.

My two biggest issues with last night. Honestly the Vikings defense is getting rightful praise after last night but the Packers defense was just as good all around. The Vikings had great field position all game. It was a story of 4th down conversions. Those two plays were at least a 10 point swing

Members online

Latest posts