Inside Linebackers

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, sure, giving up 15 on 3rd. and 18 is not the end of the world, but it sure doesn't help seeing the offense pinned at the 10 yard line as a result.

Capers scheme when facing a third and long was driving me crazy yesterday. While the unit didn't give up a first down the Packers allowed four completions of at least nine yards on those plays, tilting the field position in favor of the Vikings.

In addition Minnesota faced first-and-20 three plays before hitting Rudolph for the touchdown.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the crazy question. Do we feel like ilb is a need in the upcoming draft or fa now? Obviously it is probably too early but I feel quite comfortable with the trio of Ryan, Martinez and Thomas. Which is nice bc there will be other needs

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers scheme when facing a third and long was driving me crazy yesterday. While the unit didn't give up a first down the Packers allowed four completions of at least nine yards on those plays, tilting the field position in favor of the Vikings.

In addition Minnesota faced first-and-20 three plays before hitting Rudolph for the touchdown.

This continues to drive me crazy. If it's 3rd and 15, they concede 12 yards.3rd and 40, 35 yards, and so on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here is the crazy question. Do we feel like ilb is a need in the upcoming draft or fa now? Obviously it is probably too early but I feel quite comfortable with the trio of Ryan, Martinez and Thomas. Which is nice bc there will be other needs

If the inside linebackers continue to perform at the current level the position won't be a priority entering next offseason. The team could need additional depth though.

H

HardRightEdge

If the inside linebackers continue to perform at the current level the position won't be a priority entering next offseason. The team could need additional depth though.
This issue in the annual whack-a-mole exercise (which has turned into multi-year unresolved issues in some cases) seems to be resolved. The next mole to be whacked remains to be seen, but there are some candidates based on the early returns and the still long list of free agents for 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I would not necessarily attribute it to the scheme; it looks like blown assignments. When we see the short to intermediate zones undefended on one half of the field, such that no defender is visible on the TV screen on a 10 yard throw, with 7 and 8 guys dropping no less, I have a hard time believing that's by design.

If it were by design, there'd be only one conclusion: fire Capers! ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I would not necessarily attribute it to the scheme; it looks like blown assignments. When we see the short to intermediate zones undefended on one half of the field, such that no defender is visible on the TV screen on a 10 yard throw, with 7 and 8 guys dropping no less, I have a hard time believing that's by design.

I have a hard time believing players messing up on every single third and long pass. I'm worried Capers scheme is reaponsible for it.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it were by design, there'd be only one conclusion: fire Capers! ;)

This has been an issue for a few years with blown assignments in the secondary. No communication. This is more on Joe Whitt than Capers. Although Capers in the DC he should be overseeing all aspects of the defense.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing players messing up on every single third and long pass. I'm worried Capers scheme is reaponsible for it.
Everybody wants to have a shut-down defense on every play. However, the most important thing in 3rd and long is to get off of the field. That was job #1 and they did it well.

What would drive you all more crazy: giving up 3rd and long or just giving up yardage but forcing a punt?

We understand the perfect world scenario, but that isn't likely when we had guys like Randall getting torched repeatedly by Diggs. I personally prefer the bend-but-don't-break.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everybody wants to have a shut-down defense on every play. However, the most important thing in 3rd and long is to get off of the field. That was job #1 and they did it well.

What would drive you all more crazy: giving up 3rd and long or just giving up yardage but forcing a punt?

Of course getting off the field is the most important thing but I would prefer the defense to stay aggressive on those plays and not switch to a prevent mode on third and long.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staying aggressive often leads to more big-play susceptibility. If you know the defense is going to play tight, then you run more go routes and throw it over the top. If you play 3rd and long softer and keep the play in front of you, then swarm, you have a better chance of stopping the conversion.

If we had the '85 Bears roster or the 2000 Ravens, I'm with you 100%.

D

Deleted member 6794

Staying aggressive often leads to more big-play susceptibility. If you know the defense is going to play tight, then you run more go routes and throw it over the top. If you play 3rd and long softer and keep the play in front of you, then swarm, you have a better chance of stopping the conversion.

The Packers defense was consistently good enough to get the Vikings in third and long situations. Therefore I don't understand the reasoning behind changing the scheme instead of continuing to do what has worked to get in these situations.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense was consistently good enough to get the Vikings into fourth down situations after 3rd-and-long. Therefore I don't understand the reasoning behind changing that scheme either.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers defense was consistently good enough to get the Vikings into fourth down situations after 3rd-and-long. Therefore I don't understand the reasoning behind changing that scheme either.

The Packers lost a total of 37 net yards on third and long plays against the Vikings. That difference might be enough to have resulted in being a deciding factor in Minnesota winning a close game.

H

HardRightEdge

This has been an issue for a few years with blown assignments in the secondary. No communication. This is more on Joe Whitt than Capers. Although Capers in the DC he should be overseeing all aspects of the defense.
Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of communication. You can communicate until you're blue in the face, but if complexity causes confusion you're wasting breath.

You know what, though? I'm liking this defense more than the others we've seen since 2010 assuming Shields and Guion are available going forward. It's faster, quicker to the ball, playing in a more attacking style. Some bugs need to be worked out, but all-in-all I'm encouraged.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, I've seen players messing up on every play of a certain variety before. In this case, I would not rule out calls that go uncomprehended by a player or three. Then it becomes a chicken or egg thing. You may be right, though, because it's been many seasons now where I cringe when he falls back behind a 3-man rush. "Oh, no!" is my usual visceral reaction.

I've been all about firing Capers for going on 4 years now, just as I was all about firing Favre (actually "trade" would be right word) long before the actual sell-by date. But the season is underway so you gotta dance with the one that brung you.

Needless to say, surrendering large swaths of acreage on 3rd. and long puts that much more pressure on a struggling offense. I'm actually more worried about Rodgers state of mind, extraterrestrials notwithstanding.

H

HardRightEdge

You can be assured that Capers is overseeing all aspects of the defense.

H

HardRightEdge

Of course, but having no defender in the remote vicinity of a receiver 10 yards down the field can't be considered acceptable. One play? Sure. Stuff happens. But as a habit? No way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
All three will continue to get better. That doesn't necessarily mean that another ILB won't be in next years draft class though.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan. I think Jake Ryan could be the most consistent player on the defense, but still lacks that next level factor you see out of Haha, Daniels, Perry etc. Martinez I think has the ability to kick it into the next level but lacks consistency. Do you think these will be our starting ILB, can we trust their production in pass coverage?

H

HardRightEdge

Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan. I think Jake Ryan could be the most consistent player on the defense, but still lacks that next level factor you see out of Haha, Daniels, Perry etc. Martinez I think has the ability to kick it into the next level but lacks consistency. Do you think these will be our starting ILB, can we trust their production in pass coverage?
I expect Ryan to get a lot of snaps.

Members online

Latest posts