Inside Linebackers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think we will see a lot of tinkering with ILB this year. Bringing Burnett inside last year seemed to have some success and with the addition of Jones, I expect to see 4-5 (Ryan, Martinez, Burnett, Jones and maybe Thomas) seeing various amounts of reps at ILB.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just noticed how old this thread is - The top post references Sam Barrington.

At least it wasn't Ray Nitschke.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just noticed how old this thread is - The top post references Sam Barrington.

At least it wasn't Ray Nitschke.

I noticed that as well. Both Barrington and Bradford are now in Buffalo.....The Bills must really be desperate at LB?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that as well. Both Barrington and Bradford are now in Buffalo.....The Bills must really be desperate at LB?

Barrington was serviceable while was here. Bradford, eh, that one never quite worked out.

Tough times for Bills fans.

Reaction score
I think we will see a lot of tinkering with ILB this year. Bringing Burnett inside last year seemed to have some success and with the addition of Jones, I expect to see 4-5 (Ryan, Martinez, Burnett, Jones and maybe Thomas) seeing various amounts of reps at ILB.
Yeah, I'm trying my best to withhold judgement on the ILB grouping till I see some Nitro packages in action.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember how many people wanted to draft Reggie Ragland? Down to third string now and is a trade candidate

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Remember how many people wanted to draft Reggie Ragland? Down to third string now and is a trade candidate
Personally, I think Ragland was a better fit for a 3-4 Defense, which Buffalo was when he was drafted, but now that they switched to a 4-3, he is on the outside looking in. Missing his rookie year with a torn ACL didn't help him either.

May have turned into a completely different story for Ragland had Green Bay drafted him.....3-4 defense and no torn ACL. Goes to show you how one event (drafted by Buffalo) can change things. In this case, 2 other events....torn ACL and his team switches to a 4-3 the following year.

The knock on Ragland coming out of college was he wasn't good in coverage, so with what appears to be more emphasis on the new "Nitro" package in GB, he might not have ended up being a good fit.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's long forgotten already, a whole new crop of players were just drafted that Ted was an idiot for passing on. :)

Come on man! It wouldn't be right if we didn't hold TT accountable for all those draft picks and FA gems that he and 30 other organizations passed on!! :coffee:

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stand by my initial post. We seem to have found more consistency at the ILB position. Martinez and Ryan are a good combo. I don't think that it's necessarily an indictment of thongs guys that we are bringing the safety down in the Nitro. That's just the way that the league is trending. The stabilization proof is that CM3 doesn't need to think about playing ILB anymore. Ryan and Martinez could obviously be better, but they've shored up a weak position.

Reaction score
I'll stand by my initial post. We seem to have found more consistency at the ILB position. Martinez and Ryan are a good combo. I don't think that it's necessarily an indictment of thongs guys that we are bringing the safety down in the Nitro. That's just the way that the league is trending. The stabilization proof is that CM3 doesn't need to think about playing ILB anymore. Ryan and Martinez could obviously be better, but they've shored up a weak position.
I mean, we went from really really bad to hopefully somewhere around average. Upgrade? Yes. Ideal? Far from.

P

proudsoftballdad

The inside linebacker is a dinosaur in this defense we will be in the heavy nickel or dime. Ryan may be the best inside linebacker we have but may not be on field more then 10 precent of the defense plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

The inside linebacker is a dinosaur in this defense we will be in the heavy nickel or dime. Ryan may be the best inside linebacker we have but may not be on field more then 10 precent of the defense plays.

I expect Ryan to receive significant playing time in the base as well as the nitro package. It's probable that either Burnett or Jones will line up next to him for the majority of those snaps though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts