Injury To Clifton

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM said it was a significant injury and he won't be back anytime soon. I am fine with this. Sherrod looked alright out there once he got the jitters out and Newhouse has been decent. Bulaga should be back this week as well. I am more interested in seeing if Bulaga will be the LT or if he will go back to RT with Newhouse at LT.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont mind this baptism by fire the Marshall Newhouse has stepped into, it has really brought the man out of him and he has stepped up in a big way, a way I don't think he would have stepped up into next year or so in training camp to take over for Clifton. Hopefully Clifton isn't done for the year because I still think he is the better tackle right now but Newhouse and Sherrod will be fighting to be the LT of the future and I am a firm believer that competition brings out the best out of people.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Mac reveal if it was a knee, hammy, or did he keep it a mystery?

Yeah we might be fine with Newhouse and Bulaga, but don't assume they're both going to remain perfectly healthy until (if) CLifton comes back healthy. We should know better than that. Our guys drop like fricking flies.

Luckily for us, we have 2 apparent decent backups in Marshall Marshall Marshall, and the youngster Sherrod. We face Chris Long this week and an aggressive defense with Steve Spagnola. But they're bad. But then we play in the metrodome and Jared Allen and Brian Robison. Those DEs are great right now at getting to the QB.

Stafford hadn't been sacked in his first 2 games, then they went there and he was battered 5 times in the first half as the Vikings led them 20-0 at the half.
Allen, in that dome, has given even Clifton fits and caused chaos for Aaron in 2008 & 2009. I hope Bulaga is healthy for that one.
I hate the Vikings.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If this had to happen, now is probably the best time. We have the pathetic rams next week. Then a good defensive line with the Vikings, then a Bye. That gives them 3 weeks to get in sync before we meet San Diego, who is the first championship caliber team on our schedule this year. At any rate we should have Clifton back before that last tough 6 game run at the end of the season. His Knees will be rested and he can turn into the beast he was at the end of last season.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...tring-injury/2011/10/10/gIQAs0FkaL_story.html

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'd be more worried if Rodgers wasn't such a mobile QB. Newhouse really stepped up last night and even though he wasn't matched up with Abraham he adjusted to handling the protection very quickly. I think we're going to be okay without Chad.

I'm actually more concerned with Starks and Grant in pass protection. They've been missing blocking assignments on the regular, moreso Starks.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will miss Clifton! I got a sick feeling in my tummy when he went down. I'm glad Sherrod and Newhouse stepped up big but they are no Clifton! I hope he heals up and comes back soon!

In the meantime I'm confident in Sherrod and Newhouse having Aaron's back after their play in last night's game.

One of the best things about this team is having backups that are capable of bringing down the house.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I think bulaga, newhouse, and sherrod will do just find, but It still worries me. Clifton is such a force at LT that aaron doesn't have to worry about being blindsided which does a lot for his confidence. I think newhouse and sherrod's performance in Atl helped their's and A-rod's confidence overall, but it still worries me that A-rod may have to scramble a bit more. keep in mind that Atlantas d-line isn't very good, and Abraham wasn't even playing in that game.

asifp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know guys, for me football is all about have great linemen.

Anytime you lose a Franchise LT its never good. I think this is pretty big injury. All it can take is one rookie mistakes by these new guys and a game can turn around.

More important for me is what is Teddy doing about the depth. The way these guys are going down, we need a couple more people. Release a TE and get another OL in

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifton has had a tremendous career in GB, but unfortunately his age has caught up with him. Beginning late last year he started making many more mistakes than he used to. Maybe this is an injury that actually turns out to be an upgrade by the end of the season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am alone in thinking we are better off.

Clifton is good in pass blocking, but offered very little in run blocking. Our pass blocking is going to suffer, at first, but our run blocking is going to be significantly better. Trick is for AR to not suffer many sacks while our new LT gets up to speed on pass blocking. But I'm not sure it will be that significant. Clifton was allowing sacks and pressures at a surprisingly increasing rate.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
More important for me is what is Teddy doing about the depth. The way these guys are going down, we need a couple more people. Release a TE and get another OL in

We have a open roster spot I think TT is just saving.. he hasn't put Collins on IR yet, but that is inevitable.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect Bulaga will stick on the right side. Newhouse is a more natural left tackle, at least on paper (taller, longer arms, that was his college position, all that jazz.)

Also, between the two, Newhouse is more finesse and Bulaga is more power, which means Left and Right side. And Bulaga has done an excellent job on the right side. I'm all for keeping everything as close to how we started the season as possible.

A more interesting though: Lets say that Newhouse does so well, he ends up winning the LT job this and next year. Now what do we do? Certainly, a number 1 pick as your swing-tackle is luxury, but would it be more appropriate to trade him?

Or what if the best five are Newhouse, Lang, Sherrod, Sitton, and Bulaga? Sherrod and Newhouse need to be tackles, both bombed their rookie seasons when tested at guard. Anyone know if Lang, Bulaga, or Sitton could play center? Could you imagine that Line? Left to right: Newhouse, Bulaga, Lang, Sitton, Sherrod? Lang would be the old man in only his 4th season.

Talk about a good problem to have...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with those who think losing Clifton is significant. Nothing is more important to this team than the health of Rodgers and the LT has a big role in preserving that. And this is a passing offense so IMO pass blocking is much more important than run blocking. I am a bit surprised to see the evaluations of Clifton last season. While he did start off poorly, his play down the stretch and throughout the playoffs was some of the best football he has played in his great career in Green Bay.

We can all be thankful a player like Daryn Colledge isn't the backup LT as he was for a few seasons. I was relieved/ecstatic when Thompson used a first round pick on Bulaga and it was great to see how Newhouse has progressed from year one to year two, even without a full off season of training. The Packers went into this season with more depth at OT than they've had in a long time IMO. Right now have three youngsters, one very capable (Bulaga), another at least adequate (Newhouse) and another who I think is going to be very good but is still greener than his home jersey (Sherrod). BTW, even if he doesn't win a starting job next season, no way would I trade Sherrod and more important, no way Thompson would either.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
A more interesting though: Lets say that Newhouse does so well, he ends up winning the LT job this and next year. Now what do we do? Certainly, a number 1 pick as your swing-tackle is luxury, but would it be more appropriate to trade him?...

Whoa, Nellie! That's too hypothetical for me, at this juncture.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe I heard that they're gonna look at him tomorrow, so I'm assuming he didn't practice today. We should know more tomorrow.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tausher has always been a right tackle. Even if he was in shape I don't see him filling the LT position. LT and RT require a different type of skill set, quicker feet for instance. I'm ok with Bulaga at right tackle.

But I'm worried to death that one blind side sack from the left side will get Rodgers killed. Make no mistake, losing Clifton is big.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tausher has always been a right tackle. Even if he was in shape I don't see him filling the LT position. LT and RT require a different type of skill set, quicker feet for instance. I'm ok with Bulaga at right tackle.

But I'm worried to death that one blind side sack from the left side will get Rodgers killed. Make no mistake, losing Clifton is big.
McCarthy said in one of his pressers that in this system LT and RT are interchangeable, that they ask the same thing for both their tackles.

That being said, like you, I doubt a guy that played all his 10+ year career at RT doing a RT job would be able to play at LT, specially considering his lack of playing shape.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts