Injuries

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, you need to watch it again.

Folks I've watched it every time watch it without Packer glasses on. Ward's shoulder is clearly what he leads with and initially impact was shoulder first and then helmet to facemask.

Even Davante's quote afterwards lines up: "More than anything on the ground was my chest, having trouble catching a breath, but definitely good now."

Ward hit his chest incredibly hard and blasted all the hair from him for a moment no doubt.

Again it was a flag, 100%. However, stop with the spearing crap and even if the league rules it as such it is purely due to it being Davante IMO. Spearing in football definition is: a tackling technique in which a player makes initial contact with the crown of their helmet by using their body as a spear.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers quote: ‘I didn’t realize that he just had a hard time breathing and it was nothing to the head.”

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Rodgers said, it is amazing how Devante can hold up against a hit to the head. But you are way wrong on this.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like Rodgers said, it is amazing how Devante can hold up against a hit to the head. But you are way wrong on this.

You gotta read the entire interview with Rodgers, when speaking to the helmet thing it was before he knew about the chest being the reason he was down.

Say I'm wrong all you want, but I guess that means that you are saying watching the play you see Ward leading blindly with his helmet and saying that his shoulder is not what hits first.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You like to use superlatives to make your case..."leading blindly." It was not blind for one thing. Not saying it was dirty Like Trevathan. Saying he led with the helmet. But the last person that makes a comment is right...right? Soooo

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lead with his head.....doesn't matter that his shoulder also happened to come into contact with Davante's chest....you can't lead with your head.

If you lead with your head your shoulder doesn't hit first nor be what exerts the brunt of the contact - it just doesn't work that way.

It was 100% hitting of a defenseless receiver and should have been flagged. I fully expect that much the league to confirm and even Ward and Niners know this - but you guys declaring it spearing or that he led with his head are just wrong. He purposely rolled his head down and desired to deliver a massive shoulder hit to dislodge any chance of a catch. Savage had a few hits last night that were nearly identical in nature, but not to a defenseless WR - at least not in my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you lead with your head your shoulder doesn't hit first nor be what exerts the brunt of the contact - it just doesn't work that way.

It was 100% hitting of a defenseless receiver and should have been flagged. I fully expect that much the league to confirm and even Ward and Niners know this - but you guys declaring it spearing or that he led with his head are just wrong. He purposely rolled his head down and desired to deliver a massive shoulder hit to dislodge any chance of a catch. Savage had a few hits last night that were nearly identical in nature, but not to a defenseless WR - at least not in my opinion.
You are correct that me or anyone using the term "spearing" might be a bit over the top. However, I think the league will decide what type of hit it actually was when the fines come out. If nothing else, it was a hit that should have been flagged and in college Jimmy Ward is tossed from the game, there is not doubt in my mind.

This game had a lot of blown calls and if you do an internet search, that is being discussed everywhere today.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are correct that me or anyone using the term "spearing" might be a bit over the top. However, I think the league will decide what type of hit it actually was when the fines come out. If nothing else, it was a hit that should have been flagged and in college Jimmy Ward is tossed from the game, there is not doubt in my mind.

This game had a lot of blown calls and if you do an internet search, that is being discussed everywhere today.

They did blow a lot, sadly we benefitted from very few of the worst - only one that sticks out in my mind was one of the PI's on Davante I felt was purely a make up call - but man they did some autrocious officiating at times.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd flag every single one of them. Head up, arms out, can't be a penalty. I don't care if you end up hitting head to head or not. It's totally different contact and largely risk free relatively speaking.
This curl yourself up, chin down, arms pulled in stuff should be just flagged. Over and over again until they get it thru their heads. Heads up, arms out. No penalty.

it will never happen, but it should if they really care about the safety of the players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They did blow a lot, sadly we benefitted from very few of the worst - only one that sticks out in my mind was one of the PI's on Davante I felt was purely a make up call - but man they did some autrocious officiating at times.

I am a stickler for where the ball gets placed after the end of the play. Often times I will rewind and watch the play over to see if they got it right. I can't tell you how many times that crew was off by as much as 2 yards and yeah I am biased, but the poor spots I saw, seemed to favor the 9'ers. This crew was very lazy and lackadaisical on getting calls correct.

Some day I hope they equip the 2 tips of the ball with a GPS locator, very simple computer program that tells the refs exactly where the ball was when forward progress ended.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This curl yourself up, chin down, arms pulled in stuff should be just flagged. Over and over again until they get it thru their heads. Heads up, arms out. No penalty.

it will never happen, but it should if they really care about the safety of the players.

Oooo I like the sounds of that! If you're relying on zero arms in the attempt instant flag.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a stickler for where the ball gets placed after the end of the play. Often times I will rewind and watch the play over to see if they got it right. I can't tell you how many times that crew was off by as much as 2 yards and yeah I am biased, but the poor spots I saw, seemed to favor the 9'ers. This crew was very lazy and lackadaisical on getting calls correct.

Some day I hope they equip the 2 tips of the ball with a GPS locator, very simple computer program that tells the refs exactly where the ball was when forward progress ended.
i noticed that too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i noticed that too
One of the most glaring mismarks was Davante's catch near the end of the first half (1:15 on the game clock). He caught the ball at around the SF 5 yard line and was getting pushed out of bounds as he reached forward with the ball. His feet weren't even out until around the 3 and the ball was way ahead of his feet, the ref marked the ball at the fricking 4 yard line!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This one at the end of the half was pretty bad too....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not according to Davante, Rodgers, and Lefleur.
I guess we'll see if he gets fined. To me, it looked like even if his pads hit first; the main contact was with the helmet. I surely think the NFL will make some comment on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if they fine him, doesn't mean right...how many of Clay's fines were BS?

I do believe for "face" or "image" they'll fine him a small amount because as part of the collision his helmet did make contact with Adams' facemask. However, the large reason for that was the blast to Adams chest meeting his shoulder turned Adams' top into a bobble head. Had his facemask never met Ward's helmet not a soul is labeling it a dirty hit or "spearing" or whatever other term they want to call it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Mathews was very stubborn about continuing to hit late and land squarely on the QB after the new rules/calls. I thought you didn't wear Packers glasses on calls.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Mathews was very stubborn about continuing to hit late and land squarely on the QB after the new rules/calls. I thought you didn't wear Packers glasses on calls.

LOL I'm not saying ALL of them were BS :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do believe for "face" or "image" they'll fine him a small amount because as part of the collision his helmet did make contact with Adams' facemask. However, the large reason for that was the blast to Adams chest meeting his shoulder turned Adams' top into a bobble head. Had his facemask never met Ward's helmet not a soul is labeling it a dirty hit or "spearing" or whatever other term they want to call it.
I guess you just cannot lose.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This one seems to be eating at you?

As with many calls, it is a fast wham bam and over. While I understand how a ref can blink or have a bad angle and get the call wrong, for those reasons and others, these are the ones a booth official would get correct. After that game last night, I am more convinced than I ever was, there needs to be a ref in the booth.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
The nice thing is that this game was won without two of our best Olineman. Both Jenkins and Bakh are coming back yet. Also, Z is coming back to help the defense.