In defense of Capers

H

HardRightEdge

Capers job is to put guys in position to make plays. I'll ask for the 9,000th time, how was it Capers fault that Shields didn't stop that 2-point conversion? How was it Capers fault that the Packers' best corner got beaten by an undrafted WR who would be, at best, the fifth WR on the Packers? Coaches put players in position. The PLAYERS have the make the plays.
- 3rd. and 19: 2 man rush + spy, as though the DT spy would catch Wilson if he took off, not to mention the idea of rushing just 2 on any pass play. That's the play that got Wilson off the ropes and where he found his groove.

- game winning play: 1st. and 10, 8 in the box, press coverage all around, all 11 men within 6 yds. of the LOS.

That's not putting the players in position to make plays.

Q: Really, who does these things?

A: A DC who has underestimated the opposing QB.

For whatever deficiencies Wilson may have as a pocket passer, if you don't obscure his vision or you allow him sub-2.5 seconds to loft a deep ball into a wide swath of undefended territory, he'll be as accurate as anybody.

Further, he's about as cool a customer as you're going to find. Had this been Ryan Lindley or Christian Ponder, an inexperience guy with a bad performance record or a guy who's a notoriously poor deep ball passer and subject to flustering, there might be some logic to these calls.

As it stands, these head-scratching calls resulted in momentum change and end-of-season, respectively.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- 3rd. and 19: 2 man rush + spy, as though the DT spy would catch Wilson if he took off, not to mention the idea of rushing just 2 on any pass play. That's the play that got Wilson off the ropes and where he found his groove.

- game winning play: 1st. and 10, 8 in the box, press coverage all around, all 11 men within 6 yds. of the LOS.

For whatever deficiencies Wilson may have as a pocket passer, if you don't obscure his vision or you allow him sub-2.5 seconds to loft a deep ball into a wide swath of undefended territory, he'll be as accurate as anybody.

Further, he's about as cool a customer as you're going to find. Had this been Ryan Lindley or Christian Ponder, an inexperience guy with a bad performance record or a guy who's a notoriously poor deep ball passer and subject to flustering, there might be some logic to these calls.

As it stands, these head-scratching calls resulted in momentum change and end-of-season, respectively.

I've never understood the people criticizing that last play. You're the defensive coordinator. Anybody that's honest with themselves would rather bring safety help down to help stop Marshawn Lynch and trust that your corner (who has been really good this year) would be able to defend a below-average receiver. All this after-the-fact criticism would imply that Capers should have instead allowed Lynch to run for 5 yards a carry until the Seahawks scored a TD or Wilson gets to scramble for first downs until the Seahawks score. The best option for the Packers is to try and stop Lynch and Wilson and hope your best corner can cover a poor WR. Not Capers fault that didn't work out.

You bring up three plays that helped cost the Packers the game. Yet I can name HaHa's inexplicable failure on the two-point conversion, the above discussed pass that the corner was terrible on or the wheel route to Lynch in which Barrington went under the screening player to allow the long completion (earlier in the game Barrington played it correctly by going over).

Capers is pretty far down the list of reasons the Packers lost against the Seahawks (below McCarthy's conservative calls, Rodgers poor play, special teams fake TD and Bostick).

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never understood the people criticizing that last play. You're the defensive coordinator. Anybody that's honest with themselves would rather bring safety help down to help stop Marshawn Lynch and trust that your corner (who has been really good this year) would be able to defend a below-average receiver. All this after-the-fact criticism would imply that Capers should have instead allowed Lynch to run for 5 yards a carry until the Seahawks scored a TD or Wilson gets to scramble for first downs until the Seahawks score. The best option for the Packers is to try and stop Lynch and Wilson and hope your best corner can cover a poor WR. Not Capers fault that didn't work out.

You bring up three plays that helped cost the Packers the game. Yet I can name HaHa's inexplicable failure on the two-point conversion, the above discussed pass that the corner was terrible on or the wheel route to Lynch in which Barrington went under the screening player to allow the long completion (earlier in the game Barrington played it correctly by going over).

Capers is pretty far down the list of reasons the Packers lost against the Seahawks (below McCarthy's conservative calls, Rodgers poor play, special teams fake TD and Bostick).
I have a hard time standing up for Capers, but your post does make a lot of sense.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Over the course of the game if there are only two examples of bad calls, it's a very well called game.

Secondly, after the 3rd and 19 the defense got the stop. It was the special teams who gave up the points. That conversion wouldn't have even mattered much of the special teams didn't make a worse play.

Finally, when the defense of all a sudden flips a switch and plays terribly, that's a clear indication a variety of player mistakes as seen with the examples posted above. Another example is the whole right side of the defense getting whipped on Lynch's TD run. I highly doubt Capers instantly became a terrible play caller with 3 minutes to go. It was the same scheme and play caller all game, but with vastly different results.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't buy it. If you need 8 guys in the box and 11 on up on the line to stop a guy from running 5 yds. over and over again, then you might as well not even show up.

What was going on there was pretty clear...he Seahawks were at 52 yd. field goal position and Capers did not want them getting any closer. With 1st. and 10 and the QB having heated up, you play to stop them in the short field, get out with a FG and put the ball back in Rodgers hands.

If that's not enough, there was much to do about Mathews' no show late in the 4th. quarter. Why wasn't Burnett on the field for that fateful play?

H

HardRightEdge

I don't buy it. If you need 8 guys in the box and 11 up on the line to stop a guy from running 5 yds. over and over again, then you might as well not even show up.

What was going on there was pretty clear...the Seahawks were at 52 yd. field goal position and Capers did not want them getting any closer. With 1st. and 10 and the QB having heated up, you play to stop them in the short field, get out with a FG and put the ball back in Rodgers hands. It was a defensive call that begged Wilson to throw deep. The opponent was not properly assessed. The risk/reward proposition was poor.

If that's not enough, there was much to do about Mathews' no show late in the 4th. quarter. Why wasn't Burnett on the field for that fateful play?

D

Deleted member 6794

According to unnamed sources Burnett had some minor injury issues and was mentally exhausted, he would have been able to attend Wednesday's Pro Bowl practice though had he been invited.

D

Deleted member 6794

I really don´t get why anyone would use the NFCCG as an example for Capers shortcomings. The Packers defense didn´t allow the Seahawks to score a single point for 57:51 minutes and produced four turnovers. I´m well aware of what happened in the last two minutes of regulation and in overtime but IMO that´s on the players already celebrating on the sidelines and not being able to turn the switch on once again when the Seahawks got back into the game.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don´t get why anyone would use the NFCCG as an example for Capers shortcomings. The Packers defense didn´t allow the Seahawks to score a single point for 57:51 minutes and produced four turnovers. I´m well aware of what happened in the last two minutes of regulation and in overtime but IMO that´s on the players already celebrating on the sidelines and not being able to turn the switch on once again when the Seahawks got back into the game.

He was criticized even after the Patriots and Dallas games.

Unless the defense pitches a shut out, Capers will probably get some heat.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was criticized even after the Patriots and Dallas games.

Unless the defense pitches a shut out, Capers will probably get some heat.

I´ve been critical of Capers as well but the NFCCG isn´t a great example to bring up IMO.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of other examples going back for years. We almost blew our leads against the Vikings and Falcons in must-win games down the stretch this season. It's allowing teams the opportunity to get back in that is so frustrating, and it's nothing new. I don't know where that's coming from, but I have a hard time believing we have a team of defensive players who for some reason run out of steam only when we are ahead and/or can't physically make it through a whole game. It especially doesn't make sense after seeing them play very well for two, three, or three+ quarters. Whether it's DC or the players, having to rely on offense to win every game is not a good position to be in every week, especially during post-season. Hopefully the recent personnel changes will make a big difference and bring some much-needed consistent balance to the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are plenty of other examples going back for years. We almost blew our leads against the Vikings and Falcons in must-win games down the stretch this season. It's allowing teams the opportunity to get back in that is so frustrating, and it's nothing new. I don't know where that's coming from, but I have a hard time believing we have a team of defensive players who for some reason run out of steam only when we are ahead and/or can't physically make it through a whole game. It especially doesn't make sense after seeing them play very well for two, three, or three+ quarters. Whether it's DC or the players, having to rely on offense to win every game is not a good position to be in every week, especially during post-season. Hopefully the recent personnel changes will make a big difference and bring some much-needed consistent balance to the team.

I agree that the second half vs. the Falcons should be used as the prime example from last season to criticize Capers, that was terrible coaching. Not sure what you´re talking about in the Vikings game though.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the second half vs. the Falcons should be used as the prime example from last season to criticize Capers, that was terrible coaching. Not sure what you´re talking about in the Vikings game though.
You're right, I am probably overreacting about the Vikings game, as we didn't really have a huge lead to squander, but that game ended up much closer than it should have been. I hate being nervous in the 4th quarter, and in that game I was.

H

HardRightEdge

According to unnamed sources Burnett had some minor injury issues and was mentally exhausted, he would have been able to attend Wednesday's Pro Bowl practice though had he been invited.
So now it's Burnett and Matthews suffering mental exhaustion?! I knew Capers' schemes are mentally taxing, often confusing, but having guys exhaust mentally before physically is a truly unique attribute.

H

HardRightEdge

I put that one on the players.

D

Deleted member 6794

So now it's Burnett and Matthews suffering mental exhaustion?! I knew Capers' schemes are mentally taxing, often confusing, but having guys exhaust mentally before physically is a truly unique attribute.

I was being sarcastic about Burnett.

I put that one on the players.

IMO that was totally on Capers. It was inexcusable to not adjust the scheme and either provide safety help or put some other CB on Julio Jones during the second half of that game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic about Burnett.

IMO that was totally on Capers. It was inexcusable to not adjust the scheme and either provide safety help or put some other CB on Julio Jones during the second half of that game.

I got a totally different impression that game. I was watching Shields on Jones and he looked like he was barely half ***'ing it in a junior high practice, while he was in coverage. It's why he got yanked. There was a complete and total lack of effort by a few people in that 2nd half. SOme were still playing hard, but it only takes 1 guy not to be doing his job and big plays happen.

Can you put that on the coaches? I guess so, they need to do a better job of holding everyone accountable. I'm just not sure how to do it? I mean Shields is already getting paid, what are you going to do? Bench him? He's taking a break on the field, i'm sure he'd love to be able to really relax on the sidelines. It would be a welcome break, just rewarding with what he's doing wrong. I'm not sure how you get thru that attitude, but changing scheme? how do you out scheme lack of effort?

H

HardRightEdge

I got a totally different impression that game. I was watching Shields on Jones and he looked like he was barely half ***'ing it in a junior high practice, while he was in coverage. It's why he got yanked. There was a complete and total lack of effort by a few people in that 2nd half. SOme were still playing hard, but it only takes 1 guy not to be doing his job and big plays happen.

Can you put that on the coaches? I guess so, they need to do a better job of holding everyone accountable. I'm just not sure how to do it? I mean Shields is already getting paid, what are you going to do? Bench him? He's taking a break on the field, i'm sure he'd love to be able to really relax on the sidelines. It would be a welcome break, just rewarding with what he's doing wrong. I'm not sure how you get thru that attitude, but changing scheme? how do you out scheme lack of effort?
That's generally my take on the second half of that game.

Not forcing a punt for 7 straight quarters was the Capers highlight of the regular season for me.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's generally my take on the second half of that game.

Not forcing a punt for 7 straight quarters was the Capers highlight of the regular season for me.

During 4 quarters of that were 17 points and two turnovers. Can't just look at no punts and call it bad, especially when the picks were better than punting.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, Capers deserves heat when you consider his whole body of work.

Not saying he doesn't, but people will complain about games in which the defense does well like vs Dallas and New England.

Or about 7 quarters of no punting despite a solid game being part of those 7 quarters.

Yes, Capers deserves heat, but some people see nearly everything he does bad based on the history alone.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We have also maintained many more leads and blew out a few teams this season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone knew the Falcons would try to throw to Julio Jones on nearly every single play in the second half and aside of Davon House no one in our secondary was able to cover him one-on-one. Yet Capers refused to double team him for an entire half, that is terrible coaching.

I would have been fine wirh Shields being benched during that game

Not saying he doesn't, but people will complain about games in which the defense does well like vs Dallas and New England.

Or about 7 quarters of no punting despite a solid game being part of those 7 quarters.

Yes, Capers deserves heat, but some people see nearly everything he does bad based on the history alone.

I agree with Capers deserving credit for the defense's performance vs. New England and Dallas but I don't think they played a solid game at Soldier Field. The Bears rushed for 235 yards that day and we were lucky to face Jay Cutler that day.

Members online

Latest posts