I'm sorry, but I really do feel bad for Aaron Rodgers

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense gives up 37 or more in over half of GB's losses during Rodgers' tenure, and it's somehow his fault. Great logic.

I guess I'll repeat myself again. I am not exclusively blaming Rodgers like I had said mutilple times.

For now the third time, I am not taking blame away from the defense.

Just because I am saying the offense has had some bad games, doesnt mean I am ignoring the defense.

I am simply saying Rodgers and the offense has played a role in some playoff loses.

The defense hasn't been the only factor in all playoff loses like some posters say.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is who had the biggest contribution towards losing the playoffs since 2011?Are the defense and Rodgers and the offense equally to blame? Or is one side of the ball consistently grossly underperforming? I think it's safe to say the defense should take the lion's share of the blame. They have given up 36 pts per game in the losses. If the defense shoulders most of the blame, why is that? Again, I think it has mostly to do with pitiful drafting on defense, and a failure to fix glaring weaknesses in a reasonable time frame when they occur. Is TT solely to blame for the run of awful defenses? I would say no but I think as GM he should take most of the blame since he ultimately decides who gets drafted and to sit while problems fester. TT has had a long enough time period to prove that he just doesn't have a good system to identify defensive talent. It's time for new blood in the GM chair.

I do agree the defense has been the biggest factor in play off loses.

I just don't agree with the blanket statement "The defense is the reason Rodgers hasn't one more titles" when seasons have ended due to other reasons as well.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree the defense has been the biggest factor in play off loses.

I just don't agree with the blanket statement "The defense is the reason Rodgers hasn't one more titles" when seasons have ended due to other reasons as well.
I really do wish people would take off their blinders and see that yes the defense has been downright putrid in most of our playoff off losses but also understand that offense did not do them any favors in most of those losses as well.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It´s extremely tough for the offense, even with Rodgers at quarterback, to consistently perform on an elite level against some of the best defenses in the league during the playoffs. Once the unit struggles it would be amazing to have a defense picking up the slack at least once but that hasn´t happened at all since 2010.
Somehow the best post in this thread gets lost.

This is really the whole point. And goes toward my point about Brady. Against the Texans in the divisional round, Tom Brady throws 2 picks, throws 18-38, completes less than 50% of his passes, and his team wins by 3 scores. How many playoff games has Rodgers ever played, in which he could get away with those numbers?

Brady has a TEAM that picks him up when he isn't having his best game. Rodgers actually goes 27-45 for 287 and 3 TD's, and gets slaughtered. Those numbers, more times than not, are enough to win playoff games. But when you don't have a running game, a defense, and special teams can't make a play for you, there's not much that can be done.

The mistake that many Packer fans make is expecting Aaron Rodgers to be the GOAT every single game he plays. That's just not feasible. He's picked this defense up way more often than the reverse.

This team has some serious issues, man. And the last person that we need to give any sort of culpability to is the QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brady does that against the Falcons they will get slaughtered too. There's a reason they escaped that game with a win, and it had as much to do with the offense they had the luxury of facing as anything else.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Brady does that against the Falcons they will get slaughtered too. There's a reason they escaped that game with a win, and it had as much to do with the offense they had the luxury of facing as anything else.

I guarantee that if Brady throws for close to 300 yards, three touchdowns and an interception that actually worked as a punt the Patriots don't lose by 23 points to the Falcons.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee that if Brady throws for close to 300 yards, three touchdowns and an interception that actually worked as a punt the Patriots don't lose by 23 points to the Falcons.
and I can guarantee I was talking about the great fortune the Pats had in playing the Texans in round 1 because if they had to play pretty much any team in the NFC with they playing like they did, they would have lost.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
and I can guarantee I was talking about the great fortune the Pats had in playing the Texans in round 1 because if they had to play pretty much any team in the NFC with they playing like they did, they would have lost.
But...

Do you think if Green Bay played the Texans in the playoffs, and Rodgers goes 18-38 with 2 picks that we win the football game? By three scores? I highly, highly doubt it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But...

Do you think if Green Bay played the Texans in the playoffs, and Rodgers goes 18-38 with 2 picks that we win the football game? By three scores? I highly, highly doubt it.
probably not, but I highly doubt we would have lost to the Texans either. wasn't really my point.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
probably not, but I highly doubt we would have lost to the Texans either. wasn't really my point.
I get that. Your point was that Brady got away with it because he went up against weak competition. My point is that Brady has gotten away with it many times in his career, and the Houston game was another example of that.

Rodgers is 7-1 in playoff games in which he doesn't throw an interception. The only exception being the most recent 49ers loss. Brady is 13-2 when not throwing a pick, that's understandable. Efficiency in the playoffs wins.

The key difference though is what are the records when one of them throws an interception? Rodgers 2-6, Brady 11-7. Hell, Tom Brady has a winning percentage in playoff games in which he threw MULTIPLE interceptions, 6-4. Brady has a 2-1 record when throwing three interceptions.

So again, my point is that when Brady is off or isn't having his best game, he has a body of work ranging throughout his entire career that shows his TEAM is able to overcome that. Defense, special teams, etc make enough plays to get them over the hump.

There aren't many occasions in which Rodgers could get away with throwing multiple picks, or having a bad completion percentage. The one time that his team won a game in which he threw 2+ interceptions? The NFCCG against Chicago, the year we won the Super Bowl.

So even that year, Rodgers didn't have his best game, but the defense assisted him just enough to win the game.

If Rodgers were able to have the benefit of games like that more often, who knows how much farther this team could have went in the past several seasons. But Brady has made a career off of winning playoff games when he laid an egg.

Thank you, Bill Belichick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fine, I don't disagree with much. Again, it wasn't my point at all. I said, if Brady has a game like that against Atlanta, they'd get buried, and I think he would. Regardless of their defense or special teams this year. They were extremely fortunate to be playing the Texans. That was my point. If you want to compare brady 'sand Rodgers Careers, get me in 7 years or so and I'll gladly do it.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
That's fine, I don't disagree with much. Again, it wasn't my point at all. I said, if Brady has a game like that against Atlanta, they'd get buried, and I think he would. Regardless of their defense or special teams this year. They were extremely fortunate to be playing the Texans. That was my point. If you want to compare brady 'sand Rodgers Careers, get me in 7 years or so and I'll gladly do it.
I'm not disputing that. Again, I used the Texans game as a general example to the big picture point.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The organization around Rodgers is complacent. Make the playoffs year after year? Great. But winning the Super Bowl is too big of a challenge for them and they are afraid of change.

This is why you hear MM making comments like "I'm a highly successful football coach" even though the team has underachieved for the past 6 seasons.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, you don't often get away with having such a below par game in the playoffs.
Also agree on the comparisons; take a step back and assess after both guys careers are over.

D

Deleted member 6794

The organization around Rodgers is complacent. Make the playoffs year after year? Great. But winning the Super Bowl is too big of a challenge for them and they are afraid of change.

This is why you hear MM making comments like "I'm a highly successful football coach" even though the team has underachieved for the past 6 seasons.

McCarthy is a highly successful head coach who unfortunately has been dealt a subpar defense for six straight years by a general manager not using all methods available to improve the unit.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts