I'm sorry, but I really do feel bad for Aaron Rodgers

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones actually had more catches his one year in Oakland than any year in Green Bay.

He wasn't a great player for them, but better than average.
And yet we let him go.
I'll never understand why.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We forced a quarterback out in '08 that is a helluva better in the playoffs than the one we got now.
6 interceptions in 2001 vs. Rams
Stupid interception in overtime in 2003 vs.Eagles
4 interceptions in 2004 vs. Vikings at home
Stupid interception in overtime in 2007 vs. Giants
Stupid interception in last minute of regulation in 2009 vs. Saints

Since the turn of the century Nobody has been worse and been less clutch in the playoffs than Favre. Please tell us all you were being sarcastic.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again I am seeing a whole of lot blaming TT, but not a single mention or Rodgers' playoff struggles or the Seattle meltdown.

The Packers had the best team in the league both in 2011 and 2014.

It's not TTs fault Rodgers and the offense were awful vs the Giants and the whole team tanked the last 4 minutes at Seattle.

Both of those teams were more than good enough to win it all, but didn't put it together come playoff time.

Last season, the defense was actually alright, 12th is points and 15 in yards.

Holding Arizona to 20 points in regulation was about 10 points less than their average. It was Rodgers and the offense that allowed the overtime. Only 13 points up until the last play of the game doesn't cut it come playoff time.

Him playing so poorly to end last year squandered a time when the defense wasn't actually bad.

Also, Rodgers playing so poorly to start this season is a big reason the Packers had to go to Atlanta rather than play at Lambeau.

Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is awesome, but it's clearly not all on Thompson he doesn't have another ring.
Rodgers has performed better in the regular season than any QB in history, and he's also one of the best playoff QBs. He can't force the RB to hold onto the ball, the receivers to catch the balls, or for the corners to be able to cover or tackle someone. Let's find a realistic scapegoat in this situation .

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has performed better in the regular season than any QB in history, and he's also one of the best playoff QBs. He can't force the RB to hold onto the ball, the receivers to catch the balls, or for the corners to be able to cover or tackle someone. Let's find a realistic scapegoat in this situation .

Why is it necessary to find a scapegoat?

I agree there are seasons with Rodgers hasn't had enough around him.

There are also times when the team was more than good enough to win it all, but didn't. That's not on TT.

And times when Rodgers didn't play well in playoff loses.

There are more factors involved in the Packers not winning another title rather than simply TT not building a better team.

D

Deleted member 6794

The D actually did a decent job the first half, considering the gaudy Numbers the Falcons have had through out the season ...

The defense didn´t perform on a decent level in the first half either as the unit allowed 24 points.

It can't be that subpar, you finished in the top 4 from 32 teams

There´s absolutely no doubt that Rodgers is the only reason the Packers made it to the conference championship. The defense is terrible at best.

We now should possibly trade Aaron Rodgers and obtain DeShaun Watson, sit him, and then start him when we get our surrounding cast to an acceptable level.

This is the most ridiculous post I´ve read in a long time.

Once again I am seeing a whole of lot blaming TT, but not a single mention or Rodgers' playoff struggles or the Seattle meltdown.

It's not TTs fault Rodgers and the offense were awful vs the Giants and the whole team tanked the last 4 minutes at Seattle.

Both of those teams were more than good enough to win it all, but didn't put it together come playoff time.

Holding Arizona to 20 points in regulation was about 10 points less than their average. It was Rodgers and the offense that allowed the overtime. Only 13 points up until the last play of the game doesn't cut it come playoff time.

Him playing so poorly to end last year squandered a time when the defense wasn't actually bad.

Also, Rodgers playing so poorly to start this season is a big reason the Packers had to go to Atlanta rather than play at Lambeau.

Don't get me wrong, Rodgers is awesome, but it's clearly not all on Thompson he doesn't have another ring.

Thompson hasn´t been able to put together a top 10 scoring defense since 2010 despite spending the last five first round picks on that side of the ball. While it´s true Rodgers has struggled during some of the playoffs losses the defense giving up 36.3 points in the seven playoff losses with him as the starter makes it awfully tough for him to carry the team. Unfortunately #12 and the offense have to perform at an elite level to even be competitive in the playoffs because the defense has been terrible for most of Rodgers´ tenure as the starter. That´s entirely on Thompson.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that I feel bad for Rodgers. Sure it would have been great to make to the SB and win it, but thats the game. Aaron wears big boy pants and is being paid well for his ability to play at an elite level. I am happy for him, I do not feel sorry for him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense didn´t perform on a decent level in the first half either as the unit allowed 24 points.

There´s absolutely no doubt that Rodgers is the only reason the Packers made it to the conference championship. The defense is terrible at best.

This is the most ridiculous post I´ve read in a long time.

Thompson hasn´t been able to put together a top 10 scoring defense since 2010 despite spending the last five first round picks on that side of the ball. While it´s true Rodgers has struggled during some of the playoffs losses the defense giving up 36.3 points in the seven playoff losses with him as the starter makes it awfully tough for him to carry the team. Unfortunately #12 and the offense have to perform at an elite level to even be competitive in the playoffs because the defense has been terrible for most of Rodgers´ tenure as the starter. That´s entirely on Thompson.

Rodgers wasn't an elite level last playoffs and we nearly made the NFC Championship.

The offense was also terrible vs the Giants with 4 turnovers. Even if they had a great defense that season, they still likely lose that game.

I am not taking blame away from TT. He hasn't brought in enough talent on defense.

There just have been other factors involved in not winning it all as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers wasn't an elite level last playoffs and we nearly made the NFC Championship.

The offense was also terrible vs the Giants with 4 turnovers. Even if they had a great defense that season, they still likely lose that game.

I am not taking blame away from TT. He hasn't brought in enough talent on defense.

There just have been other factors involved in not winning it all as well.

It´s extremely tough for the offense, even with Rodgers at quarterback, to consistently perform on an elite level against some of the best defenses in the league during the playoffs. Once the unit struggles it would be amazing to have a defense picking up the slack at least once but that hasn´t happened at all since 2010.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I tbink we get spoiled with 12 and because of his unbelievable play sometimes get the mind-set that he can overcome anything all the time.

I know for me this run kind of felt like "we were the team of destiny" this year and even thougb my gut told me this team was physcially spent that they would still find a way to win somehow and get healthy for super bowl.

It didnt work out and now were looking at a 1-3 chanp record in the MM era which isnt good. You gotra wonder how many more chances will there be.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I tbink we get spoiled with 12 and because of his unbelievable play sometimes get the mind-set that he can overcome anything all the time.

I know for me this run kind of felt like "we were the team of destiny" this year and even thougb my gut told me this team was physcially spent that they would still find a way to win somehow and get healthy for super bowl.

It didnt work out and now were looking at a 1-3 chanp record in the MM era which isnt good. You gotra wonder how many more chances will there be.

Not to mention that the one NFCCG victory was by the skin of our teeth against a Bears team that had no place being there, playing with a backup QB for half of the game. Something isn't clicking in these NFC title games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention that the one NFCCG victory was by the skin of our teeth against a Bears team that had no place being there, playing with a backup QB for half of the game. Something isn't clicking in these NFC title games.
Rodgers was way off that game and the Def won it.

Bluegrass79

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense has let Rodgers down year after year. He gets the offense to a Superbowl level every year just about but Clay Matthews and crew fail to get the defense up to par most years.

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At first I was mad at the team for letting Rodgers down. If it wasn't for my girlfriend I would have smashed my TV right away. Having said that, after sleeping for some time, I am proud of the team for the last 8-9 weeks. Facing a lot of adversity, being down 4-6 and still being able to take part in the NFC championship. What an incredible stretch.
Well my mood right now is actually something between wanting to fire the whole defensive staff or all CBs and LBs...

I guess this is just a common flow a casual fan is experiencing. :notworthy::speechless:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the ultimate Packers fan. Unless those rumors of people committing suicide after the SB XXXIII loss were true...

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

The same Giants team that held the Patriots to 17 points in the Super Bowl. Didn't the Giants win the Super Bowl? I could be mistaken. But let's gloss over the fact that the Giants scored 37.

Rodgers did enough to win against Seattle. Up 12 with 3 to go, you don't expect to lose. Botched onside kick and a 2 point conversion that the ball was thrown 2 miles in the air. Regardless of all of that, Rodgers got the team down the field for the tying field goal and didn't touch the football in overtime.

Sounded like you were about to say those were on Rodgers. Is that correct?

Oh you mean the game where Rodgers was throwing to a washed up James Jones, and two other receivers that caught a total of 11 balls all year long? And the worst starting tight end in football? No Jordy, no Cobb, no Adams.

And again, he didn't touch the football in overtime. After tying the game.

Wait a second. We started the season 4-2 and finished 6-0. That's 10-2. So in the 0-4 stretch, the defense gave up over 38 points per game and you wanna point the finger at Rodgers?

Gee whiz.

Again, I will say this. And all of those who argue against Rodgers simply overlook this very simple fact. How in the world does Aaron Rodgers have better overall playoff numbers than Tom Brady, but is 9-7 to his 24-9? How? Please enlighten me on this. What more do you want for Aaron Rodgers to do? He's outperforming the GREATEST playoff quarterback ever.

But yeah. Let's look at him.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much faith in Hundley yet. He just doesn't look like he has any confidence

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same Giants team that held the Patriots to 17 points in the Super Bowl. Didn't the Giants win the Super Bowl? I could be mistaken. But let's gloss over the fact that the Giants scored 37.

Rodgers did enough to win against Seattle. Up 12 with 3 to go, you don't expect to lose. Botched onside kick and a 2 point conversion that the ball was thrown 2 miles in the air. Regardless of all of that, Rodgers got the team down the field for the tying field goal and didn't touch the football in overtime.

Oh you mean the game where Rodgers was throwing to a washed up James Jones, and two other receivers that caught a total of 11 balls all year long? And the worst starting tight end in football? No Jordy, no Cobb, no Adams.

Wait a second. We started the season 4-2 and finished 6-0. That's 10-2. So in the 0-4 stretch, the defense gave up over 38 points per game and you wanna point the finger at Rodgers?

Gee whiz.

Again, I will say this. And all of those who argue against Rodgers simply overlook this very simple fact. How in the world does Aaron Rodgers have better overall playoff numbers than Tom Brady, but is 9-7 to his 24-9? How? Please enlighten me on this. What more do you want for Aaron Rodgers to do? He's outperforming the GREATEST playoff quarterback ever.

Gee whiz.

1) Just because the Giants defense was good that year, doesn't mean the offense should turn it over 4 times. They did put up 38 against the same giant defense that regular season. Rodgers didn't play well in that playoff game.

2) I didn't even mention Rodgers performance vs. Seattle. My post said it's not TTs fault the team collapsed.

3) No. I wasn't saying those were all on Rodgers. The whole team, including Rodgers, were better than they played in those games.

4) Yes. I do mean that game where the WRs were hurt. That doesn't change that the offense didn't put up a lot of points and therefore the game wasn't all because of the defense. I clearly mentioned Rodgers and the offense.

5) Rodgers was a part of losing games early this season. He played very poorly vs Dallas and the Vikings, with multiple bad turnovers each game. He also missed an open Adams on 4th down at Atlanta. Yes, the defense was bad during the losing streak, but Rodgers had a role in losses too.

6) Just because Rodgers has had better overall numbers doesn't mean he hasn't had a few games in which he struggled. Rodgers is a great quarterback, but had also contributed to playoff loses over the years.

Overall, you seem to think I was entirely blaming Rodgers and saying the defense had nothing to do with it, which I was not. I was pointing out that it's common TT and the defense to receive all the blame for not getting another Super Bowl, but the offense, including Rodgers, has had some bad playoff games too. It's also not on TT when he built the best team in the league in 2011 and 2014, it didn't play to its capable level come playoff time.

Yes, the defense has been bad, but other factors were involved.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Just because the Giants defense was good that year, doesn't mean the offense should turn it over 4 times. They did put up 38 against the same giant defense that regular season. Rodgers didn't play well in that playoff game.

2) I didn't even mention Rodgers performance vs. Seattle. My post said it's not TTs fault the team collapsed.

3) No. I wasn't saying those were all on Rodgers. The whole team, including Rodgers, were better than they played in those games.

4) Yes. I do mean that game where the WRs were hurt. That doesn't change that the offense didn't put up a lot of points and therefore the game wasn't all because of the defense. I clearly mentioned Rodgers and the offense.

5) Rodgers was a part of losing games early this season. He played very poorly vs Dallas and the Vikings, with multiple bad turnovers each game. He also missed an open Adams on 4th down at Atlanta. Yes, the defense was bad during the losing streak, but Rodgers had a role in losses too.

6) Just because Rodgers has had better overall numbers doesn't mean he hasn't had a few games in which he struggled. Rodgers is a great quarterback, but had also contributed to playoff loses over the years.

Overall, you seem to think I was entirely blaming Rodgers and saying the defense had nothing to do with it, which I was not. I was pointing out that it's common TT and the defense to receive all the blame for not getting another Super Bowl, but the offense, including Rodgers, has had some bad playoff games too. It's also not on TT when he built the best team in the league in 2011 and 2014, it didn't play to its capable level come playoff time.

Jesus... I don't even know where to begin with this. First off, the fact that you believe we had the best team in the league in 2011 tells me all I need to know. The TT comment at the further cements who you are as a fan

Clearly defense doesn't matter to you.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Defense gives up 37 or more in over half of GB's losses during Rodgers' tenure, and it's somehow his fault. Great logic.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is who had the biggest contribution towards losing the playoffs since 2011?Are the defense and Rodgers and the offense equally to blame? Or is one side of the ball consistently grossly underperforming? I think it's safe to say the defense should take the lion's share of the blame. They have given up 36 pts per game in the losses. If the defense shoulders most of the blame, why is that? Again, I think it has mostly to do with pitiful drafting on defense, and a failure to fix glaring weaknesses in a reasonable time frame when they occur. Is TT solely to blame for the run of awful defenses? I would say no but I think as GM he should take most of the blame since he ultimately decides who gets drafted and to sit while problems fester. TT has had a long enough time period to prove that he just doesn't have a good system to identify defensive talent. It's time for new blood in the GM chair.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus... I don't even know where to begin with this. First off, the fact that you believe we had the best team in the league in 2011 tells me all I need to know. The TT comment at the further cements who you are as a fan

Clearly defense doesn't matter to you.

15 - 1 starting the year 13 - 0 winning easily most weeks speaks for itself.

They also has one of the best offenses of all time.

And defeated the Superbowl champions during the season.

They gave up yards, but were 14th in points per game on defense and number one in takeaways.

Even if you don't think they had the best team, they did not play up to their ability in the playoff game.

Members online

Latest posts