I'm not saying I don't want him back

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love Brett Favre, he is the only Packer QB I have ever known and is my favorite all time athlete but there are a few reasons why I would'nt break down and lock myself in my room for a week upon his retirement.

A) One of my roommates and I swore to each other that the second we heard that Favre has officially retired, no matter where we were or what we were doing we're going to the bar, buying a bottle of whiskey, drinking ourselves silly and quite possibly shedding a few man tears watching Favre Forever and various other movies and highlights. B) I have faith in Aaron Rodgers, I was feeling alright about him coming into the season and his play in the Dallas game made me feel even better, he was poised and made good decisions within the offense. That said, he could still use a year or two to learn under the greatest QB of all time IMO and I wan't to see if he has the long ball ability, I think he has a good arm but I wanna see it real-time. C) Favre had a great year, we had an amazing season and I havent enjoyed watching the Pack that much for awhile. He now owns all of the major passing records (I was fortunate enough to be in attendance for 421) and the season was full of classic Favre moments. We made the NFC Championship game which was great but Favre did make a horrible decision (Check the overhead view of that play to see what I mean) and threw a bad ball for a pick to end the game. I know that's not fairy tale but hell, not everyone can go out like Elway. D) I want to see where this team can go... I want to see what will happen to a very talented team when Favre goes. In a way I want to get it over with and just start a new era with this great core of guys and see where Rodgers can take us.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'd like him to stay but my life would'nt be over if he decided to hang um up. Don't rip me apart too much!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hater!

lol nice post man but no doubt the Green Bay Favrers on this board will come out of the woodwork and rip you for it. :D

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A day will come where every Packer fan will have to face the fact that Brett won't be apart of this team. Whether that will be in a week or two, next off-season, or in a couple of years, only Brett can say.

As long as the guy can lace'em up and be as productive like he was last year, it'd be silly to try and push him out the door. Brett has earned the right to go out on his terms. Rodgers time will come and I look forward to seeing what he can do, but for the mean time, it's still Brett's job until he hangs'em up or shows he can no longer play at a high level.

OP
OP
B

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha, thanks cheesey! I was expecting to be met with plenty of criticism here as I mentioned this to a buddy of mine who is a huge Packer fan and he got so mad at me he almost popped!

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bang, I have but one HUGE issue with you...........

What bar are you going to be at so I can join you?

In all seriousness, It will be a truly sad day and I too will shed many a man tear. My son knows no one else as a packer qb. I unfortunately, remember the multitudes of QB wannabe's before him. I do not look forward to POSSIBLY returning to that era.

I was encouraged with Rodger's accomplishments this year. Can he keep it up? Who knows once the opposing teams start disecting his approach. The other part I will sorely miss is the input favre has in the game planning during the film sessions. As McCarthy has even said, there are times when Brett just takes over the QB meetings and MM loves it.

Speed, strength, quickness, and accuracy can all be immediately replaced and improved.

Experience can only be earned....

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it will no doubt be a sad day. and ill most likely be drunk before i even hear of his retirement ... But i do promise to continue drinking once i do hear of his retirement.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all good.

a) I can't argue with that. :cool:
b) I do too
c) I'd much rather see Favre go out with an SB ring, which I really think we'll have a good shot at this year. This year will be better than last year. Our D just needs a few tweeks.
d) You'll see in '09. :)

OP
OP
B

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tripp, my sentiments exactly, for some reason I am just really excited to see what Rodgers may bring, could be great, could suck, who knows but I do know he'll need a few years of actually playing time to REALLY develop

BTW- We'll be in some old Menomonie bar not worrying about classes or homework, just drinkin the pain away!

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preach on brother. The Packers were still the Packers after Lombardi left, they would change just because Favre retires.

It'll be a sad day, but I'll recover as will all true Packer fans. Hopefully, we've got someone (Rogers or otherwise), who is capable of stepping in and being stellar.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dosent anyone think the day Favre retires will be an exciting day in many ways cos we'll be looking at the future in terms of 10 years rather than one or two each year every offseason?

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dosent anyone think the day Favre retires will be an exciting day in many ways cos we'll be looking at the future in terms of 10 years rather than one or two each year every offseason?

Excitement may come, but not initially. When Favre retires, I know I won't be "excited". I see your point, but I think that the an upcoming season w/o Favre will be met with more trepidation than excitement.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre announces his retirement, I will drink heavily to ease the pain. But if he announces that he is coming back, I will drink heavily in celebration.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre announces his retirement, I will drink heavily to ease the pain. But if he announces that he is coming back, I will drink heavily in celebration.

Post of the day! :cool:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have faith in Rodgers when he comes in. I think he can be a quality QB and the progress he showed last year was fantastic. With that said Favre makes the Packers a Super Bowl contender next year. With Rodgers, a lot of other guys are going to have to step up. It's also nice to know that the Packers may have the two best QB's in the division.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
If Brett is happy, I am happy.

+1 .. exactly.

He can walk away anytime and I will rejoice in celebration of the career that was, the happy times he brought to Cheesehead's everywhere and then it will hit me that it is truly over. But whatever is best for him, makes me happy.

BTW... I placed a wager that he will be back.. meager wager.. but I think he will be back sealed with a $.

OP
OP
B

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have unquestionably the best QB duo in the North... Do we reach for a just in case QB if a decent one is available in the late rounds?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have unquestionably the best QB duo in the North... Do we reach for a just in case QB if a decent one is available in the late rounds?

Hmm well the competition isnt much to talk about! Yah i think a team should always be drafting late round QB's and seeing what they can do.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have faith in Rodgers when he comes in. I think he can be a quality QB and the progress he showed last year was fantastic. With that said Favre makes the Packers a Super Bowl contender next year. With Rodgers, a lot of other guys are going to have to step up. It's also nice to know that the Packers may have the two best QB's in the division.

May? Heh, Rodgers does circles around anyone else in the NFC Central. I think da Bears, Vikes, or Lions will pee in their pants with joy if Rodgers went to any of them.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

May? Heh, Rodgers does circles around anyone else in the NFC Central. I think da Bears, Vikes, or Lions will pee in their pants with joy if Rodgers went to any of them.
Most Bears, Viking and Lion fans already pee in their pants! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts