IF Walker stays away...

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are our options?

Do we add a veteran receiver, knowing that Fergie' is oft injured, and Driver is consistent but still needs help?

Do we HAVE already a receiver who can move up and be the challenger in that role?

Walker may have been the BEST 3rd receiver in football last year but I still think he has a LOT of growing left in his playmaking and maturity as a player... I don't know that a protracted holdout is the answer but, THAT is what we've got.

Hope fully he will report to the team before regular season but it doesn't look good does it?

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me the veteran WR's that we have picked up in the past have not been much help. So I think we should try and stand pat.
Fergie has been injured in the past but part of the time it was due to his trying to help shore up the return game. If they keep him off the return teams and let him concentrate on being a WR he will be less likely to be injured.
Let the rookies step in and cover the return game. There are enuf new players with speed that they shouldn't need Fergie to carry the load.
There is no doubt that if Walker holds out he will be sorely missed.
I am not completely sold on Chatman as the #3 receiver but I am looking for a spark from Murphy if he is given the chance. Between the 2 of them we should do alright. If the receiving corps struggle I think Brett will go to his RB out of the backfield and try moving the chains that way.
I am more concerned about what the loss of Franks will do to the offense.

Ewwwwww I am now WATERBOY! :jumpsmile:

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether or not JW holds out we do not have much cap space to get a high caliber veteran who could make a difference. We will have to develop from within. I am hoping that JW does come back without any disrupting, cancer eating attitude to f-up the chemistry we'll be bringing back. "T-Murph", as Rodgers has coined looks good so far, but we need to see if these guys can hold on to one of Bret's bullets. :lol:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - I would have offered something to Jerry Rice (can you imagine with Brett Favre) so he'd be at Lambeau -- but, he's in Denver now.

We just latched onto another guy from the same school as Fergie, right?
Let's give him a chance - the reports are positivie already!

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
What are our options?

Being that 2005 will be a rebuilding year for the Packers, Ted Thompson would be wise to wait until next years draft to pick up a WR to replace Walker.

With the expectation of a 8-8 season for the Packers, they should be drafting reasonably high in 2006.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
I am hoping that JW does come back without any disrupting, cancer eating attitude to f-up the chemistry we'll be bringing back. "T-Murph", as Rodgers has coined looks good so far, but we need to see if these guys can hold on to one of Bret's bullets. :lol:

On the subject of Walker, did anyone see Rosenhaus on PTI last night? First class moron

-If Walker holds out, we NEED to get Bubba into the game more than we did before...our offense will produce, not without a struggle, just hope Ahman is healthy and can do a lot with the ball (run and catch), Henderson's performance will be crucial...but don't forget Donald Driver coming off of a 1,000 yard season also...we NEED ferguson to stay healthy if javon's gonna hold out.

-I coined a name for Murphy back in april--"Reach"...it never caught on...this kid better be worth the pick

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being that 2005 will be a rebuilding year for the Packers
Brett didn't come back for a rebuilding year!!! Personally I don't think the Walker holdout will last past preseason. If it does we still have and acceptable receiver corps Brett will just have to use his weapons wisely.

Later
Leopardmech

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Walker comes back also. But with Rottenlouse as agent I don't see that happening. I say leave him take Sander's place on the bench and have him picking splinters for his half a mill. Like Sander did last. Go with what we've got, Brett has done pretty good with mediocre recievers in the past. They're trying to be a running team anyway, so recievers aren't as important, except for when we're always 3rd and long. :evil: Pardon the negative sarcasm, but I feel better now. :wink:

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopardmech said:
Brett didn't come back for a rebuilding year!!!

That's what you think, Brett has no choice but I'm sure he knows what's going down in Green Bay.

We're not calling it a rebuilding year anymore, we're calling it an evaluating year.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
Obi1 said:
What are our options?

With the expectation of a 8-8 season for the Packers, they should be drafting reasonably high in 2006.

I am not expecting a 8-8 season. Sherman will be leading the Pack to the playoffs again. 8-8 won't get in this time.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
That's what you think, Brett has no choice but I'm sure he knows what's going down in Green Bay.

We're not calling it a rebuilding year anymore, we're calling it an evaluating year.

waaaay too premature to call this a rebuilding year. we lost 2 great guards and a veteran safety that obviously lost a step. thats not what a rebuilding year looks like Steel.

you're confusing not having the cap space to address our problems right away, with losing most if not all of your talent due to cap space. with all the contracts up next season, that could be deemed a rebuilding year depending on who stays and who gos...this is not a rebuilding year.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Fergie has been injured in the past but part of the time it was due to his trying to help shore up the return game. If they keep him off the return teams and let him concentrate on being a WR he will be less likely to be injured.

I agree. They need to keep him off special teams and let some of these young rookies with speed handle those duties so he has a better chance to stay healthy.

Ferguson has the experience, corrected some vision problems in the offseason, and now has an opportunity with Walker holding out. I'm hoping Ferguson takes advantage of this opportunity and has a breakout year similar to the way Driver did after he spent a few years learning the ropes.

The rookie 2nd round pick Murphy sounds pretty promising though too.

ameuret

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey from what I remember from last year when chatman came in he did pretty good. I dont think he will ever have what it takes to be a number 1 or 2 reciever but i think he could be a solid back up and i think he could start for a season if we needed him to.

OP
OP
O

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ameuret said:
he could be a solid back up and i think he could start for a season if we needed him to.

I can't see him starting. He doesn't even have the skills of a Walter Stanley.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Walker continues his hold out then i would put T-Murph in his posistion because i think Murphy will be better then Walker.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy said:
I think if Walker continues his hold out then i would put T-Murph in his posistion because i think Murphy will be better then Walker.
Agreed - totally.....

They could try putting Ferguson on Offense (starting?) only... No special teams whatsoever... Then make sure Murphy is his backup (Same School), sitting right beside him on the bench, as well - again, no special teams for these two guys (considering NO Javon Walker, right?) - and that way, we can rest our WR's accordingly - Brett's then got fresh players out ther running routes and advising each other all game long... Isn't that how Robert Brooks came outta the woodwork and startled everyone with his stellar play?

We've got enuf on the Team (younger) which can do the Special Teams thing with Bonamego and work it all out; let them all take a few lumps - call it their College hazing/coming out party on the Frozen Tundra!

Add to that - we still have Donald Driver - who should be able to stay healthy and is past his neck injury or should be by now.. completely.

Then add the new Rookies to test... We'll be fine!
And THAT - is "what Brett knows already"....

Biggest problem on the Passing Game? Making sure those guys can handle catching the BULLETS Brett will be throwing after working out all summer long with a Personal Trainer.... YIKES!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheezy,

It gets me excited to think of T-Murph being better than Javon. I don't believe it because it's too early but time will tell. If #84 continues his selfish holdout, time will tell earlier than once thought.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ND I know its to early to tell. Maybe Javon will come out of his hold out and be our starter again leaving T-Murph to have to beat out Fergy for 3rd string or maybe he wont and T-Murph will step in and have a spectacular season. But im going the route of T-Murph having an awsome season....I guess i just have high hopes. :roll:

squeak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all need to hope the o-line can open some holes for running backs. walker can wait

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:

What do you mean "we", Paleface? Do you have a mouse in your pocket or something? :lol:

Regards,

Robert C. Hedley

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go with what we have, Fergie and Driver are as good a starters as Brett has had most of his career. Chatman has shown he is a better 3rd reciever than punt returner and Murphy should be as productive as Javon was his first 2 years. Maybe we also pick up someone along the way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts