I Think Clay Needs Longer Cleats.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I re-watched the game last night and my wife of all people said "Why does 52 keep falling down" lol A few times he slipped twice and STILL pressured Orton. Who knows maybe thats part of his recent sluggish performances. Also I give AJ Hawk credit for that last INT picked up by Bishop. Defense is getting better.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a good question. I wonder if that would solve the slip and fall problems? Maybe give him some more grip out there. Or maybe it's just the field. Soldier Field is a mess and I can understand that but yesterday was a home game.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Remember in the Saints game that one end of the field was really slick. He he said he changed his cleats 3 times in that game. I wonder whats up with the field. Where was the stage setup for the concert? They had to re-sod after the show, maybe the turf hasn't fully recovered.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
I noticed that too, there have quite a few times he has been poised for a sack and he goes sliding right on by. I have also noticed that even when he is upright in the backfield he over pursues the quarterback. It's like he's going too fast and can't readjust when the quarterback moves or even switchs his hips. This is the same problem Jennings said about Polamalu in the Superbowl he overcommits in one direction. Hopefully in the dome in Atlanta he can figure it all out with more grip a sack the Iceman 6 or 7 times.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could it possibly have anything with his hamstring strains? The longer cleats with more grip might cause the hammies to torque more? no idea... just speculating.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This from Tyler Dunne at the Sentinel, about what the stats say:

Green Bay -- News flash, Clay Matthews only has one sack through four games. All week, coaches and teammates have told us media folks that the third-year pro is still playing some of his best football. Sacks do define the performance of the game's premier pass rushers, but their point does have merit.
In lieu of a question in our weekly chat about Matthews, Bryan Hall from Pro Football Focus recently reached out to me with his website's analysis.
In their grading of 3-4 outside linebackers throughout the league, Matthews currently ranks eighth in the NFL. Several factors come into play, he said, including whether the player beat an offensive lineman (or two) to make a tackle, if it was a difficult tackle, if it forced a "negative play" for the offense, etc. Through four games this season, Matthews has played 264 snaps (153 pass-rushing, 74 against run, 37 in coverage).
Compared with all 3-4 outside linebackers in the league, he grades out well.
The Pro Football Focus ranking system currently had Matthews ranked 10th in pass rush, third against the run and 23rd in coverage. His 7 quarterback hits are first in the NFL, his 13 pressures are tied for fourth and his 11 "stops" are fourth. "Stops" are solo tackles that led to an "offensive failure."
So while generating a pass rush certainly has been a problem for the Packers there are some numbers to back up the Matthews defense.

Latest posts