1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

i have a theory

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by CHIpackFAN, Jan 22, 2012.

1. CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    We need some nastiness to our defense. Our defense is too finesse. They seem to concerned about interceptions. They are all looking for the big play. Think about all of the smash mouth defenses around the league. Giants, steelers, ravens, 49ers. Looking at the guys we have on defense, only clay shows severe intensity. Clay is an animal, nick Collins has it in him also. Bishop has it. Nick barnett had it. Hawk does not have it. So'oto has it. We need more guys that are mean, nasty and just want to knock the snot out of someone. Think back to the 49ers/saints game, the 9ers were hitting everything that was moving. They were flying to the ball. Look at the ravens, their defense is intimidating. No one fears our defense. We need a change in our defensive culture.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Ya, Tramon, Peprah and shields don't want anything to do with contact. That needs to change.

3. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +214
    However Jarett Bush and Charles Woodson are very physical corners. Look for Bush to get more playtime next season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    Yes something definetly needs to change. Too much zone coverage, go back to bump and run. Receivers need to be molested ay the line.

5. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    Remember Al Harris? Now that guy could get get NASTY on bump and run! Very physical. He was even better than C Wood there for a while for us.

6. atthegates97

atthegates97 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    ahhh Al Harris.. always gonna be one of my favorites. a shame he kept getting hurt the last few years. miss that guy.

7. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    I mean yea he would always have the most PI penalties on the team and get burned for big plays but he did have a nastiness about him. We came up short in one game, we will be fine.

8. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    When Al Harris and Mike McKenzie were playing together... That was something special that we may not see again for quite awhile.

9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,802
    It's been almost 45 minutes between new threads on defense.
    A Packer Forum record!!!!

10. CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +24
    Ah yes, Al Harris. He was my favorite player at one time. I hope someone lights a fire under the defense. They all need to do some soul searching.

11. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    Bush should only be allowed on the field for special teams. He is quite possibly the worse cover man in the NFL. If Bush finds more playing time next season just start forfeiting games.

12. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    After the season he just had, Peprah may not be on the team next year.

13. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    except we saw it with tramon and c-wood last year and c-wood and al harris before that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I've been saying for a while that our defense is too finesse and it's everybody on the defense. Not just a few guys. Even Clay is more of a finesse type of Pass Rusher.

We need some nasty guys in the trenches and at the ILB position. I'm so done with AJ Hawk.

It would be nice also to have safeties that enjoy contact. If our corners don't like to hit guys, I can live with that. Most all corners these days aren't vicious tacklers.

But as a Safety you need to tackle and wrap up.

15. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +112
    You need a new DC and players that can play that way..... too bad Spags is going New Orleans

16. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    The most problem I hear about having a defense like Baltimore is the fear of them being a "dirty" team. That really don't matter. Mark my words, the best defenses every year are called "dirty" because they are extremely aggressive and the 4 best defenses of all time that are argued (85 Bears, 78 Steelers, 92 Cowboys or 2000 Ravens) all of those were very mean and tried to murder quarterbacks.

You are not going to win a Super Bowl with just an offense.

Len Dawson once said that the K.C. team that won the 1969 Super Bowl, it didn't matter if he was the quarterback or not, cause they could run the ball and their defense could score points. That's a fact too about most of those old running teams. They didn't have to pass for 300 yards, those defenses were monsters and running the ball chews up the clock.

17. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Who care if someone calls them dirty if they can win games. Just win baby.

18. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

I like having a dirty defense, that way the other fans can whine about how mean they are. lol

19. Dan115

Dan115 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I just like to win football games.

20. Fazeman

Fazeman Setting The Pace

Ratings:
    +20
    Losing Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins changed that fine balance between aggressive play and skillful execution.

21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    yeah for another team

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    in 96 we had Ray Lewis on the phone during the draft and told him we were just waiting for Baltimore to make their selection then we were going to pick him. His other phone then rang.

23. peteralan71

peteralan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +51
    I should have been more clear... I was referring only to their level of aggressiveness. To your point however, I agree.

24. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    They are, but they are thin, slender guys.

Bishop is nasty and tough. So was Barnett. Those 2 in the middle are a lot better than with Hawk in there.
    I own a Hawk jersey and was fine with picking him over Vernon Davis and Haloti Ngata back in 2006.
    But I'd trade my Hawk jersey with him, for either of those other 2 guys. Dang. Nothing special at all about AJ, but..... nevermind. AJ owns a ring. Neither of those 2 have even appeared in a Super Bowl.

25. TheOnlyMeIKnow

TheOnlyMeIKnow Guest

Ratings:
    +11
    We're too FINESSE? AJ Hawk doin' Tito Santana on LeGarrett Blount and letting him run for a 70 yard TD is finesse? What we NEED is intelligence and technique!