I don't think we'll catch the Bears

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we whipped them in week 2, I don't see us being able to catch the Bears because their schedule is cupcake city, outside of playing us and Minny. I'm still not sold on Minny either.

The Bears are 5-1 now and their next 2 games figure to be wins with the crappy Carolinans in town, and then they visit Tennessee where they will abuse Chris Johnson.
They'll be 7-1 at the halfway mark.

After that, they have 2 losable games with Houston at Chicago, and then at San Fran. I think they'll beat Houston.

They finish with the 4 divisional games in the final 6 weeks, with a home game against Seattle and a trip to Arizona sprinked in.

I really can't see them any worse than 11-5 with that slate, and they should be able to go 12-4, losing to us again in Chicago, at San Fran, and one more.

A lot depends on what happens with the Viqueens.

If we finish 11-5 but they 12-4, we'll get the #5 seed and have to play 3 road games probably to get to the Super Bowl. A lot like 2010.

Still, I'd much prefer a bye and then a home game. But that path hasn't worked well for us.

What do you see looking forward, want?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
You kidding me?
What happened to the vaunted Bears last year? Injuries right?
The Packers have suffered a plethora of injuries and many at key positions. That's football. The difference is that the Packers are still competitive despite those injuries. They have depth.
The Packers totally dominated the Bears in week two. What makes you think the Bears are so good? Their record?
Packers lost to Indy and Seattle which I didn't see before the season but they beat the Texans and Saints which were iffy games before the season started.
Bears beat Colts, Rams, Cowboys, Jaguars and Lions. They still face Texans, 49ers, Seahags and Cardinals. Even thinking that they might have an edge in several, don't you think Chicago has a Waterloo somewhere in there? You know, like our KC game last year?
It's not the teams so much as when you play them. I'm glad to have those NFC West teams off the schedule. Good defenses all. Chicago isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut. Seattle is young, will only be more experienced by the time they face the Bears. 9ers will beat 'em and Cardinals could give them a game. BTW, are you convinced they will run the table on the rest of the NFC North? If so then can I put it in my notebook that the Packers will too?
I think the last serious threat on the table is the Gnats but by that time our young defense might have some surprises for Mr. Manning he's not seen.
Are there any sure losses you see going forward?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too early to think that the Bears still suck.
We will have to wait and see how it plays out.

After we faced them in the Div. Playoff Champ. Game in 2011, I've always been worried about them being contenders and have respected them since then.
It looks like those worries might be coming true.
This is one case where I'd hate to be right.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The Lions have not been on track all season and they woulda shoulda coulda beat the bears last MNF if they wouldn't have turned the ball over so many times. with a score of 13 -7 the bears won....if that's all the points that their offense can muster up vs the Lions, I'm sorry, they wont be going the distance. Their D is over inflated stat wise due to the fact that they have played teams that can't put up any numbers. I agree they have a cake schedule, but they will self destruct, it's destiny.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Pack can go to Chicago and beat them then that gets 1 game back in the standings and the tie breaker. I am shocked that their old defense hasn't had any injuries yet. Give it time, Jay will get hurt and so will someone important on D. Remember.....there is no "next man up" on the Bears. Their depth is bad.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ yeah, true. As much as I dislike the Bears, I gotta give credit to Urlacher. He is up there in playing years, just came off knee surgery and is like a rusty old tank that just keeps going. Their front D line is good, LB are ok, but their secondary is skeptic....that will be where we can beat'em.....as long as we keep peppers off Arod this time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their defense has dealt with injuries in the past, so even a few sprinkled in there won't change them drastically. Their offense is different with Tice, not head-over-heels better but there is a noticeable difference. The Lions game was a blood match, so I don't put much stock in their 13-point output. They are averaging 32 points per game if you throw out the Lions game, 29 points if you factor that in. There is no denying that Cutler to Marshall is a big improvement for that offense. Suddenly they have a true #1 receiver. That ugly flip pass by Cutler to Marshall for a TD against the Lions was a new wrinkle. That was a typical situation where Cutler would curl up in the fetal position and then lash out at his o-line. Now he's turning those into points.

As Denny Green would say, I'm not going to crown their ***. However, you can't discount their offensive improvement this season. There is a good reason they are 5-1 and there isn't much reason to think that will change. Injuries can decimate any team. Banking on that is a different proposition.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also have to consider that Da Bears' success has been due, in large part, to the defense scoring in multiple games and sometimes multiple times in games. To me, that's a lot of luck for defensive scores. When they start playing teams with winning records, which they do for the most part down the stretch, this shouldn't occur. Then it's up to Jay Quitler behind that sieve of an offensive line. Hell, Quitler will be lucky to survive the SF game!

But, even if Chicago keeps up its solid play, they are bound to lose a few more games, and if we can beat them twice, we hold the tiebreaker. That second game takes on significant importance because of that and the fact the Seattle screw-job impacts our conference record tiebreaker.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears d-line is what helps put points on the board that is why the lions were able too stay in, the game they kept the bear o-line in check,2 field goals 1 t.d. the only thing is 9ers have smith as a q.b. and I can see the bears rattling his cage to get those points Gore may cough up a fumble or 2 that could be a close game,but i do see some losses Texans is 1 J.J. will get Cutler at least 3 times:) I think the Pack will win it again.

Reaction score
The Bears have played nothing but creampuffs. If you think they're going to beat Houston I'd like to have some of what you're taking.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it's our team: It's a tough schedule.
When it's their team: It's an easy schedule.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and the fact the Seattle screw-job impacts our conference record tiebreaker.
Substitute the name "Seattle" for "Niagara Falls" in the below three stooges bit and you know how I feel! :mad:
(Pay attention to what Moe says at about 1:45.)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Combined record of teams Packers have played to date: 28-18. Combined record for Bears' opponents to date: 16-22. The only team with a winning record the Bears have played so far is us, and they lost.
On the subject of records: The other night I played one by Simon and Garfunkel.
It was this one and It was nice to listen to it again.

My SO was in the same room and when she caught a glance of the album cover as I was getting it out, she didn't get a very good look at it and thought that the top of Paul's hair was a mustache for Art. So she asked me if I was playing a Jim Croce album! LOL

We had a good laugh over that one!

Oh. I guess you had to be there.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we whipped them in week 2, I don't see us being able to catch the Bears because their schedule is cupcake city, outside of playing us and Minny. I'm still not sold on Minny either.

The Bears are 5-1 now and their next 2 games figure to be wins with the crappy Carolinans in town, and then they visit Tennessee where they will abuse Chris Johnson.
They'll be 7-1 at the halfway mark.

After that, they have 2 losable games with Houston at Chicago, and then at San Fran. I think they'll beat Houston.

They finish with the 4 divisional games in the final 6 weeks, with a home game against Seattle and a trip to Arizona sprinked in.

I really can't see them any worse than 11-5 with that slate, and they should be able to go 12-4, losing to us again in Chicago, at San Fran, and one more.

A lot depends on what happens with the Viqueens.

If we finish 11-5 but they 12-4, we'll get the #5 seed and have to play 3 road games probably to get to the Super Bowl. A lot like 2010.

Still, I'd much prefer a bye and then a home game. But that path hasn't worked well for us.

What do you see looking forward, want?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Even though we whipped them in week 2, I don't see us being able to catch the Bears ...

I think you are being overly optimistic with the Bears. They should be able to go 12-4, you say?

Tough teams (3): Texans, 49ers, Packers

Middlers (5): Vikings (twice), Seahawks, Cardinals, Lions

Easier teams (2): Panthers, Titans

I think they lose all three of the tough games. That alone will make them 12-4. But, I also think they lose two more. They barely eeked out a win at home against the Lions. In Detroit, it only gets tougher. Seahawks are no push-over, nor are the Cards. Or even a "Waterloo" game against an easier team. It happens.

They have a real tough stretch in a few weeks-- Texans, 49ers, Vikings, Seahawks, and the Packers. That run could be demoralizing, expecially if they lose to the Texans and 49ers back-to-back at the start. Once Cutler gets into a funk, all is lost.

I think they finish 10-6.

If the Packers cannot beat that (with a tie-breaker), then the Packers deserve to sit at home during the playoffs.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make good points PFanCan. Unfortunately if they beat us (which is entirely possible) then it's a totally different scenario with us likely having similar records. I hope not but it's possible

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew the Bears sucked the moment the doctor delivered me on my birth day.
I bet those were your first words: The Bears suck!
"Honey! JR said his first words!"
"You've done well dear. We have a little Packers fan. We are raising him right."
And now you are passing it on to your daughter.
Well done PFan. Well done.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Contrast my earlier post with the Packers schedule going forward:

Tough teams (2): Giants, Bears

Middlers (5): Vikings (twice), Cardinals, Lions (twice)

Easier teams (2): Jaqs, Titans

So, the way I look at it, the Packers can only afford two more losses, and neither can be against the Bears. The Bears must be swept.

Penciling in a loss in NY and dropping one of the middler games seems about right. If the Packers can beat NYG, then that gives some breathing room.

Any worse than this and the Packers don't deserve a playoff berth.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bears have beaten the Colts, Rams, Cowboys, Jaguars and Lions.
We play the exact same 5 teams, except we play the NYG, not Dallas. Of course, Dallas won at NYG to open this season.
So far, we are 1-1 against this batch.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh you mean we might have to go into solider field and play them for the NFC championship?

Meh

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
On the subject of records: The other night I played one by Simon and Garfunkel.
It was this one and It was nice to listen to it again.

My SO was in the same room and when she caught a glance of the album cover as I was getting it out, she didn't get a very good look at it and thought that the top of Paul's hair was a mustache for Art. So she asked me if I was playing a Jim Croce album! LOL

We had a good laugh over that one!

Oh. I guess you had to be there.

Nice tangental posting. I like doing that myself just to see if anyone's really reading. :)

Members online

Latest posts