I don't think Mike and Ted are going anywhere

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think the current regime has earned the right to work things out and turn the season around, if, at the end of the season we haven't, then I would not be upset at making a change at GM. From there, it is the GM's call to decide on the rest of the football side.

I am absolutely against signing the highest priced free agents once the market opens up, but I am for looking at mid range players and since we have habitually been at the lower spectrum of the draft, looking at moving up every so often if there is a player we ally like. Some have mentioned Minnesota, Seattle, Dallas and Atlanta as teams that have better talent. Those are all teams that have been on the rollercoaster over the last 5 years or more. They have had the luxury of drafting higher for a bit and have hit on better players. I would like if we occasionally would make a move to get a higher pick.

Also, if the new GM were to get a new coach, so be it, but I have seen some here suggesting the likes of Mike Tomlin or Sean Payton and such. Those guys have done less in the last 5-7 years than our coach, so let's reach a little higher. Why replace our guy with someone that has done less. If a change were to be made I would like us to look at either some college stud coaches ( many programs are now much more progressive with the passing game than many pro coaches) or an offensive coordinator. It is a passing league for the most part now with all the penalties for touching the passer, receiver or sometimes looking at them.

I am a believer that in many positions, supervisor, coach or any position of authority, too much time on the job with those you are overseeing can cause complacency. You and they get too comfortable with each other. Sometimes you just need to move on. I hate to say this because like many on here, I lived through the coaching carousel of the 70's and 80's, but back then, we just didn't pick the right coaches. I think we have a better group running the show now than we did then.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but I think we owe it to those in power to see if they can turn it araound. If not, then I have confidence that the board of directors are in Mr. Murphy's ear and will let him know what they would like to see done.

And yeah, still have my fingers crossed that the chip on Aaron's shoulder will push him to get us to the playoffs. By then, if we get a few guys back, who knows? No team is deep through every position and it is that team that is at its best come playoff time that can win it. GPG!

D

Deleted member 6794

In all fairness, Goodson was supposed to be the #5 perimeter corner, primarily just a special teams guy. He was never supposed to be a starter.

Rollins is back; Randall is looking like he'll be back this week. So, you're supposed to comb the street for some guy mid-way into the season who may or may not be a marginal improvement for a couple of games?

Should Thompson have done better than Goodson in the draft or for a free agent in the offseason to upgrade #5 perimeter corner? How much are you going to commit for a third string upgrade?

Teams can sustain injuries if they're spread around the position groups. Nobody will fare very well digging into the 3rd. string at one group.

Thompson way too often takes a gamble with exclusively having inexperienced backups on the roster. Unfortunately this time it backfired at the cornerback position and came back to haunt the Packers.

I agree it would have been extremely tough to significantly upgrade the position during the season but the Packers could have added veteran presence to the unit in the offseason though for reasonable money.

H

HardRightEdge

Thompson way too often takes a gamble with exclusively having inexperienced backups on the roster. Unfortunately this time it backfired at the cornerback position and came back to haunt the Packers.

I agree it would have been extremely tough to significantly upgrade the position during the season but the Packers could have added veteran presence to the unit in the offseason though for reasonable money.
For the #5 perimeter corner and the #8 guy in the D-backfield? That strikes me as 20/20 hindsight.

Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, backed by 2 seasoned safeties, with Hyde a safety/slot swing man and Rollins a perimeter/slot swing man.

I don't think anybody, including yourself, was uncomfortable with the depth.

The one thing we can say, which we did agree on: Goodson had given no indication of being an NFL cornerback. But had he been replaced, which he kinda sorta was when on suspension, expecting that replacement to be a vet with some credentials is unreasonable.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not upset that there weren't capable fourth and fifth string DBs on the roster, I'm upset there weren't any capable second stringers.
That's 20/20 hindsight as well. While I was never crazy about the value associated with the Randall and Rollins picks, the expectation they would be adequate would have been reasonable. Gunter is an interesting player, but they were forced to take him out of his press coverage strength with top side help with certain matchups when the depth of injuries forced Capers away from his strength: blitz backed by man coverage into 4 man rush / zone.

But really, how many teams can lose their top 3 perimeter corners to injury and not be woefully exposed? Nobody.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

For the #5 perimeter corner and the #8 guy in the D-backfield? That strikes me as 20/20 hindsight.

Shields, Randall, Rollins, Gunter, backed by 2 seasoned safeties, with Hyde a safety/slot swing man and Rollins a perimeter/slot swing man.

The Packers backup cornerbacks entered this season with only a combined 80 snaps on defense. That's a complete lack of experience.

It's not true at all that we're talking about the fifth perimeter CB.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers backup cornerbacks entered this season with only a combined 80 snaps on defense. That's a complete lack of experience.

It's not true at all that we're talking about the fifth perimeter CB.
More 20/20 hindsight. At a minimum, your expectations for Rollins were reasonably high coming into the season as we looked for the 2nd. year jump. If memory serves, at one point you agreed with me that Rollins just might beat out Randall for the starting job. And he just might do that, but you cannot expect a guy to develop if he's injured and not playing in the money games.

So, at best, the argument is about having a vet #4 CB. What kind of vet are you going to find for that spot? And if you expect to have him on the game day roster, he has to have some special teams value. That sharply limits the options. That leaves you with guys like Jarrett bush, a dime corner with special teams value. That does you no good on the perimeter.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's 20/20 hindsight as well. While I was never crazy about the value associated with the Randall and Rollins picks, the expectation they would be adequate would have been reasonable. Gunter is an interesting player, but they were forced to take him out of his press coverage strength with top side help with certain matchups when the depth of injuries forced Capers away from his strength: blitz backed by man coverage into 4 man rush / zone.

But really, how many teams can lose their top 3 perimeter corners to injury and not be woefully exposed? Nobody.
No it's not.

D

Deleted member 6794

More 20/20 hindsight. At a minimum, your expectations for Rollins were reasonably high coming into the season as we looked for the 2nd. year jump. If memory serves, at one point you agreed with me that Rollins just might beat out Randall for the starting job. And he just might do that, but you cannot expect a guy to develop if he's injured and not playing in the money games.

So, at best, the argument is about having a vet #4 CB. What kind of vet are you going to find for that spot? And if you expect to have him on the game day roster, he has to have some special teams value. That sharply limits the options. That leaves you with guys like Jarrett bush, a dime corner with special teams value. That does you no good on the perimeter.

It's not hindsight at all as it was pretty obvious the Packers backup cornerbacks were extremely inexperienced entering the season. I fully disagree that it's not possible to have better players at the bottom of the depth chart at cornerback.

Don't get me wrong a drop-off in performance is expected with the top cornerbacks out but for sure not as steep as it happened with the Packers.

H

HardRightEdge

No it's not.
Yes, it is. ;)

Where the mistake was made is not in the backups. It's the lack of play makers and impact players in the first team defemse.

These guys were not that good to start with. Lots of decent players, not a lot of impact, coupled with a scheme that's wasn't working, and a bad culture reflected in the inability to close big games.

It could be the play making is buried under the scheme. We'll find out with a change in direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it is. ;)

Where the mistake was made is not in the backups. It's the lack of play makers and impact players in the first team defemse.

These guys were not that good to start with. Lots of decent players, not a lot of impact, coupled with a scheme that's wasn't working, and a bad culture reflected in the ability to close big games.

It could be the playmaking is buried under the scheme. We'll find out with a change in direction.
Imo, It really hurt early on when no one was catching the ball. Lost chances for turnovers, it could have developed confidence and a culture of a take-away defense. No momentum developed because of the lost opportunities. Same thing on offense. Could have been an entirely different season.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess their jobs are safe again, for now.
Too early to start calling them geniuses again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One game.....but......Fricking MM actually came out with some formations that even surprised me. This offense showed they actually have a pulse, but the defense needs to get better and healthy to compete with the big boys.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MM and DC actually coached a game like their careers depended on it. Let's see if they can stay awake and keep it going!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM and DC actually coached a game like their careers depended on it. Let's see if they can stay awake and keep it going!

It's one of those things where I've felt you could look at it a number of ways. MM, though he's done a lot of bad this year showed I believe that he can still coach and get this team up again. I'm thinking even if he doesn't get to the playoffs this year, I'd still keep him on if he can garner momentum as the season closes and run with it into next year. I think doing that would be huge. And should he get enough to get us back to the playoffs for the 8th year in a row, his seat definitely needs to be cooled.

Now TT on the other hand, I'm still gravely concerned his building philosophy may be starting to wear thin here. He'll get a shot too, but he may be on a little more thin ice going forward than MM is.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game.....but......Fricking MM actually came out with some formations that even surprised me. This offense showed they actually have a pulse, but the defense needs to get better and healthy to compete with the big
It's one of those things where I've felt you could look at it a number of ways. MM, though he's done a lot of bad this year showed I believe that he can still coach and get this team up again. I'm thinking even if he doesn't get to the playoffs this year, I'd still keep him on if he can garner momentum as the season closes and run with it into next year. I think doing that would be huge. And should he get enough to get us back to the playoffs for the 8th year in a row, his seat definitely needs to be cooled.

Now TT on the other hand, I'm still gravely concerned his building philosophy may be starting to wear thin here. He'll get a shot too, but he may be on a little more thin ice going forward than MM is.

I'd be okay with MM returning. Although l don't believe in momentum carrying over between seasons.

If Capers were gassed, would anyone be open to John Fox as D.C? Pending he gets the boot from Chicago.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I agree with this after what I saw last night, but where was all that coaching the other 6 or so games we looked horrible in this year, as well as last year? IMO, the win last night was nice, but it was one win against a not so good team. So if MM, TT and DC all want to hang on to their jobs, they better string some more of those together and not just against weak teams.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Fox would be interested in becoming a defensive coordinator again.
Why specifically?

There's an enormous list of head coaches that have gone back to being coordinators. Personally I think that it's a relief for some....focus on the x's and o's without having to do all of the head coach crap. Norv Turner is a great example of late. I think that it would suit Rex Ryan as well if he could ever stuff his ego back into its case.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why specifically?

There's an enormous list of head coaches that have gone back to being coordinators. Personally I think that it's a relief for some....focus on the x's and o's without having to do all of the head coach crap. Norv Turner is a great example of late.

That might be true for some coaches but I don't think a 61-year old who has been a head coach for 15 consecutive seasons would be interested in it.

Members online

Latest posts