I don't think Mike and Ted are going anywhere

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be amazed if either one goes.

How many times have we all been calling and reading for Dom Capers to be fired and yet they still keep him?
I expect the same thing for Mike and Ted.
If any of us knew more about football than we already do, we'd be sitting in a team's office instead of here posting.

So I think there is something more going on than any of us knows about and that's why they will stay.
I'd like to see them gone to but within the offices do they really think that will be the right move?
Only they know for sure and we all know nothing.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance all 3 are getting fired at the same time. If I were to bet, then Dom Capers might have the hottest seat.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No chance all 3 are getting fired at the same time. If I were to bet, then Dom Capers might have the hottest seat.
We've been saying that for years.
He has to work with what he has and when key players are injured and out, then what? Is that really all his fault if the back ups are not doing their jobs?
Players do blame themselves and not Dom when they blow assignments.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'd put the chances of it happening at something less than 50%... I would say that if The Packers decide to let Thompson go, that it is more than likely a new GM will bring in a new head coach as well. This would not be my choice since I actually think McCarthy can still coach if he is given some talent, however most GMs will want their own guy.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should all face the reality that probably none of these guys are going anywhere so that if they stay one won't be so upset.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The story with these guys has gotten old. The Packers are not improving. I think it would be nice to try different people. Virtually every company goes for change in an attempt to turn things around nowadays. Personally, Capers and Thompson. ....I would like to see how different people do. Both the Lions and Vikes have overhauled themselves these past few years. It hasn't turned out badly for them. Maybe the Packer could use a change too.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I'd put the chances of it happening at something less than 50%... I would say that if The Packers decide to let Thompson go, that it is more than likely a new GM will bring in a new head coach as well. This would not be my choice since I actually think McCarthy can still coach if he is given some talent, however most GMs will want their own guy.

While I see a possibility if TT is fired and Eliot Wolf replaces him that Eliot might keep some of the coaches because of his familiarity with them. But if TT is fired and Wolf isn't the new GM, I expect a complete clearing out of the coaches offices.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think Packers are that trigger fingered. TT and MM would not be judged by a single injury ridden season. TT's team building has divides people equally...and it has a lot of support. The only criticism is that he's not aggressive enough (esp in FA), but that's something that can be rectified without resorting to hire/fire. MM also has a good record till now and enough credit to withstand this season's performance. If this continues onto next...then maybe. Don is the most probable one to be offered up as the scapegoat for the rebuilding.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...How many times have we all been calling and reading for Dom Capers to be fired and yet they still keep him?

Maybe Mark Murphy doesn't read every thread on this site, so he doesn't truly comprehend the depth of our concern? Also, I haven't seen him in the shout box lately- so, again, he might not know the latest...

:D

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree Dom is not out on the field during all of the blown coverages or other players getting just simply beat, and he is not at fault for all of the injuries but I think something must be done in general to appease the fan base more than anything and your right Capers is the perfect scapegoat. Granted, they don't need to make any changes at all it's not like they owe us anything if you think about it. Wait, nevermind wrong team as a matter of fact since thousands of us are part "owners" they kind of do owe us a better product especially the poor 70k fans that attend every home game and spend good money to support them.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Just my opinion but the reason we will see this same act (coaches, management,staff) again in 2017 is that Murphy and TT, may feel that firing someone they hired is a knock on their judgment and they do not want to admit that it probably was a bad mistake holding on to them, and they are trying to find a graceful way out of this for themselves, to save face..just my op

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Mark Murphy doesn't read every thread on this site, so he doesn't truly comprehend the depth of our concern? Also, I haven't seen him in the shout box lately- so, again, he might not know the latest...

:D
Hi Mark.
Howz it going?
Get rid of Mike, Dom and Ted.
OK?
Thanx.

There. That should do it.
Ya all happy now?
I know I am.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree Dom is not out on the field during all of the blown coverages or other players getting just simply beat, and he is not at fault for all of the injuries but I think something must be done in general to appease the fan base more than anything and your right Capers is the perfect scapegoat. Granted, they don't need to make any changes at all it's not like they owe us anything if you think about it. Wait, nevermind wrong team as a matter of fact since thousands of us are part "owners" they kind of do owe us a better product especially the poor 70k fans that attend every home game and spend good money to support them.
I honestly think that if one is going to spend around $300 bucks for a piece of paper that declares them to be a part owner of a team then those should be listened to by the ones who run the team.
Otherwise this is not fitting in with the true definitions or criteria of being an owner of a team.

PFanCan

Reaction score
... Capers is the perfect scapegoat...

Capers is not a scapegoat. He is actually the correct person to blame. He needs to be fully accountable and responsible for the defensive unit's performance. Yes, I know that he cannot stop a player from ******** up nor can he go out there and make a play himself. I get that. But, he is in charge of the defensive unit. As I wrote in another post, the buck stops with him when it comes to the team's defensive performance.

There are other considerations that also affect the defensive performance- including the head coach and the GM. But, Capers carries, IMVHO, the largest share of the responsibility.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Weeks ago people were concerned that we were giving up too many yards on third and long. They wanted to be more aggressive. Then we played Atlanta and folks here were upset that Dom wasn't blitzing and being more aggressive. Well guess what? We saw what happened last night when you blitz while leaving second and third stringers alone in coverage. You get burned deep. I'm not sure that there is a damn bit of difference it would make if Capers ran is jumbo packages or put eleven men into coverage.

While I saw Florio (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-get-everyones-attention-by-firing-someone/) state that since the Packers don't have an owner, nobody can walk in and hand out pink slips. That really is Mike Murphy's job. While I don't think it's Dom's fault, he will likely be the fall guy.
I honestly think that if one is going to spend around $300 bucks for a piece of paper that declares them to be a part owner of a team then those should be listened to by the ones who run the team.
Otherwise this is not fitting in with the true definitions or criteria of being an owner of a team.
There are many minority owners that do not have voting power. I don't want the fan base to influence the Packers moves. It's the tail wagging the dog. The wagon pulling the horse. The Vikings leading the Packers in the division. It's just backwards.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers is not a scapegoat. He is actually the correct person to blame. He needs to be fully accountable and responsible for the defensive unit's performance. Yes, I know that he cannot stop a player from ******** up nor can he go out there and make a play himself. I get that. But, he is in charge of the defensive unit. As I wrote in another post, the buck stops with him when it comes to the team's defensive performance.

There are other considerations that also affect the defensive performance- including the head coach and the GM. But, Capers carries, IMVHO, the largest share of the responsibility.
He must give really, really awesome christmas presents to the coaching staff and top brass.
Only explanation that this outsider can come up with why he stays.
Ho ho ho!
Merry Christmas everyone!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I saw Florio (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-get-everyones-attention-by-firing-someone/) state that since the Packers don't have an owner, nobody can walk in and hand out pink slips. That really is Mike Murphy's job. While I don't think it's Dom's fault, he will likely be the fall guy.
There are many minority owners that do not have voting power. I don't want the fan base to influence the Packers moves. It's the tail wagging the dog. The wagon pulling the horse. The Vikings leading the Packers in the division. It's just backwards.
OK but when you own something, your house, your car, your wife, your kids, you have power over them and can control it.
So how can anyone think of themselves as an owner of the Packers when they have no control or say in the matter?
It is blind pride. Not ownership in this case.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are other considerations that also affect the defensive performance- including the head coach and the GM. But, Capers carries, IMVHO, the largest share of the responsibility.[/QUOTE
why does the buck stop there? He has a boss...in the head coach. McCarthy has boss too. oh wait and so does Thompson. The reality is that you have decided to cast blame on Capers, and maybe you are right... maybe it is his fault, but I don't see your argument as valid. Personally I think the biggest problem with the defense is lack of talent with or without injuries... so the person responsible for putting talent on the team is Thompson... not Capers.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Packers are that trigger fingered. TT and MM would not be judged by a single injury ridden season. TT's team building has divides people equally...and it has a lot of support. The only criticism is that he's not aggressive enough (esp in FA), but that's something that can be rectified without resorting to hire/fire. MM also has a good record till now and enough credit to withstand this season's performance. If this continues onto next...then maybe. Don is the most probable one to be offered up as the scapegoat for the rebuilding.
I don't really disagree with this, however I was responding to your statement where you said "no chance" they all get fired at once. My response is that IF the Packers do decide to make a change that it is certainly possible that they all get fired at once. I did say that I believe the chances are less than 50%. I agree that the Packers organization is likely to allow them more than this season's failure before taking this step, but I do think it is a possibility. Remember Ray Rhodes got a single season... I can see a very real possibility that Murphy and the board decide that Rodgers only has a few years left, and things are going in the wrong direction. Neither of us can prove our position, but mine is not absolute.

PFanCan

Reaction score
why does the buck stop there? He has a boss...in the head coach. McCarthy has boss too. oh wait and so does Thompson. The reality is that you have decided to cast blame on Capers, and maybe you are right... maybe it is his fault, but I don't see your argument as valid. Personally I think the biggest problem with the defense is lack of talent with or without injuries... so the person responsible for putting talent on the team is Thompson... not Capers.

Sorry that my opinion is not valid to you.

Regarding your question about why "the buck stops at Capers", I was just using that common cliché to get the point across. My last sentence states that I believe that the largest percentage of blame falls on Capers. Certainly, I believe, MM and TT shoulder blame, too- for exactly the reason you gave above (in TT's case). I guess I should have written, "...most of the buck" stops with Capers. Again, IMO.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK but when you own something, your house, your car, your wife, your kids, you have power over them and can control it.
So how can anyone think of themselves as an owner of the Packers when they have no control or say in the matter?
It is blind pride. Not ownership in this case.
I don't own my wife or my kid. No thanks.

A minority interest, which is also referred to as noncontrolling interest (NCI), is ownership of less than 50% of a company's equity by an investor or another company. For accounting purposes, minority interest is a fractional share of a company amounting to less than 50% of the voting shares.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/minorityinterest.asp

One does not need to control everything they own or interact with...

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe this to be true. The Packers fancy themselves to be the franchise with the most stability, and sometimes to a fault. It was absolutely shocking to me when NBC put up the graphic stating Capers was the longest tenured DC in the NFL.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts