I can understand why some people are freaking out

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a little worried about Favre missing both minicamps until I heard the comments of veteran players like Henderson and Diggs, who wholeheartedly support Sherman's decision. This seems like a win-win situation. A good move by Sherman, possible because of Favre's unquestioned commitment to the team. It will be fun to watch how the Nall/O'Sullivan/Rodgers battle plays out.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce-Right now Craig Nall is Brett's Backup. It is his job to lose. Craig knows the Packer complicated offense, he has been in it for 3 years. Aaron Rodgers needs a lot of study and work before he would be ready to take Nall's place. Aaron Rodgers said after seeing the Packer's very thick playbook, said he didn't know very much. He knows he has much to learn. That is why Green Bay is a great place for Arron Rodgers to be. The Packers do not have to push him out into the field before he is ready. He can learn, he is smart but still it will take time before he is ready to be a back up in the N.F.L. let alone be a starter. The Packers have Farve who must likely we be here for the next two seasons and Nall will back him up. Greg C- your posting is correct. There is no problem not having Brett Favre out on the field participating in the mini camp workouts, they are for the Rookies and new free agents mostly for players trying to make a impression, in order to make the roster. The Packer's monitor how many times Farve throws the Football during the preseason camps. He will get that number of throws needed in training camp. They are very protective of Brett's arm now that he is getting up in years. He is the franchise Q.B. right now until his replacement is groomed. Most of the big fuss about Brett not being at the minicamp (it is voluntary & is the head coach's decision) is caused by the Media They want to make a story out of nothing ,as they do about Brett's retirement. And then there are some of these posters on Packer forums who seem to think this Packer team is not very good, are also complaining, they complain about everything anyway. I have been out to June mini Camp for both sessions, and everybody seems to be enthusiastic and working very hard. This new '05 Packer team will be just fine.. This Packer organization knows what they are doing, yet every move the Packers have made is put under a microscope never in positive spin and always a negative spin by some of Posters on many Packer Forums. With all the problems the Packers had last year , a 1-4 start, injuries to key players late in the season game still won the NFC-North Division for the third time in a row and finished with a 10-6 record. And the franchise still has not had a losing season in the last 12 years (1991 was the last losing season) and Packers has a best NFL record of 127-65 since 1993. Isn't that perferable to what has happened to the once Fomidable 49ers franchise during the same period of time, 2-14 last year??

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EXCUSED? Maybe ....

Maybe he was excused, but ... oh... jeez... what the hell ... he showed up anyway.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was great that Brett showed up to talk about the changes that have been made in the offseason and to see the team. He doesn't need the reps to learn the offence what he needs is to be in great shape and he is ensuring that he is with his personal trainer.

Later
Leopardmech

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure where you read negativity into this post???

I agree that Nall is number 2, and think that is the way it will be unless Sully proves to be good enough and Nall draws a good trade offer. However, being #3 in this offense for three years does not afford a player (specifically a QB) a lot of reps to grow and learn. I like Nall and believe he will have a good NFL career.

Rodgers head was spinning, as one should expect of a rookie QB coming into the #1 offense in the NFC. This is the right place for him to be brought along and groomed.

While I agree about the media often making a big too-do about nothing, excusing your starting QB from mini-camps is a big deal. Sherman is making what he believes to be the best decision for Brett and his team. But it is hard to argue that it is not news worthy.

What you write is good stuff, but are you somehow reading into my post excessive negativity? If so, I suggest that you read a little more carefully.

PWT36 said:
Bruce-Right now Craig Nall is Brett's Backup. It is his job to lose. Craig knows the Packer complicated offense, he has been in it for 3 years. Aaron Rodgers needs a lot of study and work before he would be ready to take Nall's place. Aaron Rodgers said after seeing the Packer's very thick playbook, said he didn't know very much. He knows he has much to learn. That is why Green Bay is a great place for Arron Rodgers to be. The Packers do not have to push him out into the field before he is ready. He can learn, he is smart but still it will take time before he is ready to be a back up in the N.F.L. let alone be a starter. The Packers have Farve who must likely we be here for the next two seasons and Nall will back him up. Greg C- your posting is correct. There is no problem not having Brett Favre out on the field participating in the mini camp workouts, they are for the Rookies and new free agents mostly for players trying to make a impression, in order to make the roster. The Packer's monitor how many times Farve throws the Football during the preseason camps. He will get that number of throws needed in training camp. They are very protective of Brett's arm now that he is getting up in years. He is the franchise Q.B. right now until his replacement is groomed. Most of the big fuss about Brett not being at the minicamp (it is voluntary & is the head coach's decision) is caused by the Media They want to make a story out of nothing ,as they do about Brett's retirement. And then there are some of these posters on Packer forums who seem to think this Packer team is not very good, are also complaining, they complain about everything anyway. I have been out to June mini Camp for both sessions, and everybody seems to be enthusiastic and working very hard. This new '05 Packer team will be just fine.. This Packer organization knows what they are doing, yet every move the Packers have made is put under a microscope never in positive spin and always a negative spin by some of Posters on many Packer Forums. With all the problems the Packers had last year , a 1-4 start, injuries to key players late in the season game still won the NFC-North Division for the third time in a row and finished with a 10-6 record. And the franchise still has not had a losing season in the last 12 years (1991 was the last losing season) and Packers has a best NFL record of 127-65 since 1993. Isn't that perferable to what has happened to the once Fomidable 49ers franchise during the same period of time, 2-14 last year??

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: EXCUSED? Maybe ....

vixtalkn said:
Maybe he was excused, but ... oh... jeez... what the hell ... he showed up anyway.

Unless there's a report somewhere I haven't seen - Brett is NOT showing up for this mini-camp.. Otherwise Packers.com would have some mention of it, I would think. (Obviously, Vixtalkn was throwing in some jocularity there)

Checking other sites and there is no mention that he has left Mississippi.

Although - I did find this new Packer site (new to me, at least)....

Packers Training Camp

IU_packfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sherman excused favre because he really doesnt have to be there, as sherman said he doesnt want favre to lose his intensity to play the game. brett needs to come into training camp wanting to win more than ever, maybe by being excused from the mini-camp, he gets to spend more time with his family so when time comes for the season to begin he will be more ready mentally. we know he has a trainer working with him so he will be great physically. and if anyone knows the GB playbook its brett, he may make up his own plays sometimes, but he know the game. we should not be worried about this and think of it as a positive.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_21285577.shtml
DOH - it figures.. (and thanks)...
I'm so used to logging into my PackersNews Premium Account..... (doh doh doh)

Well, at least they got to shake hands, finally!

You guys know that Brett

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: I am not sure where you read negativity into this post??

Bruce said:
What you write is good stuff, but are you somehow reading into my post excessive negativity? If so, I suggest that you read a little more carefully.

thats just how he talks Bruce...he's old school. hehehe

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Sherman has played it right.
This is one way to ensure that Brett is anxious to play. If we as fans, who are not nearly as tough as Brett, post and seek knowledge about the team year round how much more will Brett be wanting to play when finally allowed?

This also gives Nall and Sullivan a fair shot at a roster spot. It also gives Rogers some throwing time.

Brett knows the playbook better than any other player. He doesn't have to sit through QB 101 meetings being bored. We have seen him play well in all forms of adversity. He will probably be very enthused late July.

By the way he gets paid $3000 a week during training camp and $70,000 a day once training camp is over. Opposite end of the spectrum from Hunt.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, Sorry you thought I was referring to you. I was not. I agree with your thoughts on your two postings. I was not,referring to anybody on this Packer Forum. . I should have been more specific and added the word "other" in front of Packer Forums in the sentence. I participate in the two Green Bay newspaper's Packer Forums, (now only one remains) where it is "open season on Packers" for just about anything including Favre being excused from minicamp. However my commentary on negative posters on other Packer forums was out of place in this Topic and I should not have included it with that post. All the poster on this topic did a good job, I did not I was too wordy. I will try to stay on topic from now on!

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Prez. I'm stopped posting my authorities long ago, but as a newbie on this board I will be more careful about that in the future. Otherwise, just for reference, if I say it's so, it is so, and you can take it to the bank.

As to Brett dropping by minicamp, it was in so may newspapers yesterday morning I thought the news was axiomatic and didn't require citation. My mistake.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/spor ... etail.html
http://premium.packersnews.com/cs_prote ... 7296.shtml
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 9236.shtml

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is the coaching staff is up in the air over what to do between Nall and O'Sullivan.

After last year, many stories floated about the staff was impressed with O'Sullivan and didn't want to just give him away, especially considering he was a throw in in the McKenzie trade.

Only bad things could happen to Brett at this camp so look at the rookie, and gather more tape of Nall and O'Sullivan.

Also keep in mind that McBrien nearly made the team last year. Should be an interesting camp.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: I am not sure where you read negativity into this post??

Bruce said:
I agree that Nall is number 2, and think that is the way it will be unless Sully proves to be good enough and Nall draws a good trade offer. However, being #3 in this offense for three years does not afford a player (specifically a QB) a lot of reps to grow and learn. I like Nall and believe he will have a good NFL career.

I actually think the #2 spot is totally up for grabs. They have Rodgers practicing holding for Longwell. If he was the #3 QB, he wouldn't be able to get on the field to hold for Longwell. Since they have Rodgers practicing that, I think he's in the running for the #2 spot too even though he is behind in the offense.

Favre didn't know the offense well either when he was thrown in there when the Magic man was injured. But his superior talent helped compensate for it a little. Maybe they feel the same about Rodgers if he's more talented than the other two QBs, even though he is behind them in understanding the offense.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers as the #2 QB because I think he has more upside if he can handle the learning curve.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey vix, thanks for your message on packer palace about the demised nc forum. im on here now, just on today. getting to like it a lot. 8)

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha glad to see you have worked your way back through bettie. Haven't seen you in a while!

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bettie where have you been hiding? I remember Arrow saying before that he thought you were Mike Sherman have you been too buys lately to fill us in on the secrets :lol:

Later
Leopardmech

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vixtalkn said:
Hey Prez. I'm stopped posting my authorities long ago, but as a newbie on this board I will be more careful about that in the future. Otherwise, just for reference, if I say it's so, it is so, and you can take it to the bank.

As to Brett dropping by minicamp, it was in so may newspapers yesterday morning I thought the news was axiomatic and didn't require citation. My mistake.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/spor ... etail.html
http://premium.packersnews.com/cs_prote ... 7296.shtml
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 9236.shtml
I'm a PackersNews Premium Member as well... So, between the two of us - everyone here should be privy to the latest & greatest they have to print....

Still looking for someone in the Board who can post "up-to-the-minute" from other sitesd like JSonline.

Welcome aboard....

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm personally OK with Favre being excused because he is the type of person who will come in hungrier than ever because he's been kept away from it. His teammates seem to accept Favre's status on the team and understand that he's been excused. Truly, the players that need to be there everyday are the ones on defense and that INCLUDES CLETIDUS HUNT!!! I can't believe he hasn't shown up for camp when he is under a tremendous amount of scrutiny! It makes me angry! :evil:

Members online

Latest posts