How was that supposed to work?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how putting in a defensive player to catch a ball in the end zone is somehow supposed to be better than using any of the offensive players who know how to catch an Aaron thrown ball?
Texans had better results using JJ Watt.
So what is up with this recent trend of defensive players going into the end zone on offense?
How is this supposed to fool the defense?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Peppers was open and the ball hit him in the chest, everything did work but Peppers catching the ball.

Peppers is a freakish athlete, even for NFL standards, and ran a good route.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Peppers was open and the ball hit him in the chest, everything did work but Peppers catching the ball.

Peppers is a freakish athlete, even for NFL standards, and ran a good route.

Did everything but catch the ball:-/ if he is going to run a route how about a fade? A fastball on a slant from Rodgers can be a little difficult to handle for a guy who isn't used for catching the ball don't cha think? Even WAtt had to catch a corner route... And was wide open.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was definitely an attempt to be "cute." -The pass catchers on offense should be the ones catching targets in the endzone.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how putting in a defensive player to catch a ball in the end zone is somehow supposed to be better than using any of the offensive players who know how to catch an Aaron thrown ball?
So what is up with this recent trend of defensive players going into the end zone on offense?
Me and all my buds were wondering that too and putting Peppers in there like that was like shooting a flare in the air...like the Saints would not notice, seems MM gets a stupid attack once or twice every game.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Peppers is a big guy. He had position, they have been doing that in practice all season. It was a wrinkle that didn't work. If it had it would have been a genius call. I hope they run it again sometime in the future. It's on tape now, who knows, maybe the run this as a decoy in some future playoff game and Peppers is a decoy that draws a defender away from the guy the wins the game. MM was being bold, he has balls, That's what I like about him, he's not afraid to try new things.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers is a big guy. He had position, they have been doing that in practice all season. It was a wrinkle that didn't work. If it had it would have been a genius call. I hope they run it again sometime in the future. It's on tape now, who knows, maybe the run this as a decoy in some future playoff game and Peppers is a decoy that draws a defender away from the guy the wins the game. MM was being bold, he has balls, That's what I like about him, he's not afraid to try new things.
If using a big guy is really the answer, I dunno.
Lacy and Khuuuuuuuuun are also big.
The D expects any one of those to run up the middle but instead it's a slant. Throw. Catch. TD!
Whaddya think. Would that work?

I'm not trying to be a smart apple.
Can you or anyone answer how often MM has tried trick plays and it has gone in our favor?
I would like to agree with your last two sentences but only if his trick tactics has worked the majority of the time.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be a smart apple.
Can you or anyone answer how often MM has tried trick plays and it has gone in our favor?
I would like to agree with your last two sentences but only if his trick tactics has worked the majority of the time.
Well, I can think of a couple of well executed surprise onside kicks. The play was sound, Peppers just didn't catch the ball. Maybe he was expecting it to come high or maybe Aroge put to much heat on it. Either way it was a well engineered play that should have worked and apparently had worked in practice many times. Hey, Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I guarantee you we will see that formation again sometime this season. He catches it and everybody on this forum is praising that play.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I can think of a couple of well executed surprise onside kicks. The play was sound, Peppers just didn't catch the ball. Maybe he was expecting it to come high or maybe Aroge put to much heat on it. Either way it was a well engineered play that should have worked and apparently had worked in practice many times. Hey, Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I guarantee you we will see that formation again sometime this season. He catches it and everybody on this forum is praising that play.
Yeah. You got that right.

And I blame Peppers and not Mike for that. He could have caught it.
Still glad to have him on our team though.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play worked. Peppers did not. Just had to shake my head at that one. I would have caught that ball. Seriously. When you can say that and not be joking... yeah, that's bad.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play worked. Peppers did not. Just had to shake my head at that one. I would have caught that ball. Seriously. When you can say that and not be joking... yeah, that's bad.
Yeah but I'm wondering what the purpose would be to put a defensive player in there instead of choosing from a handful of receivers.

Only thing I can think of is that it's supposed to make the Taint's D think that JP is going to be a blocker instead of a catcher and leave him alone.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ Watt was a TE in college so thats why it made sense for him.

Peppers, as far as I know, has never had to catch a ball before and it was insanely dumb to put him out there in a crucial situation to try and give him his first catch of his career. It doesnt matter if it worked or didnt, it was very very stupid either way.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
in a blowout game or against a struggling team ok give it a go, but in a game we all knew was gonna be a shootout why take the risk

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
when BJ lines up in back field and it works, every praises

Pepp doesnt catch a ball in his hands, MM is an idiot

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Dumb play for sure. We are one of the best teams in the red zone without that trick or treat play..........didnt like the onside kick either.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The play did work, Peppers just didn’t catch the ball. And does someone really have to have the size difference between Kuhn (6-0) and Lacy (5-11) vs. Peppers (6-7) explained? If so: Peppers is bigger, heavier and stronger. Think matchup problems for the D. BTW,

And ivo610, if you want to use JJ Watt’s catching 8 passes as a TE his freshman year at Wisconsin, the case for Peppers catching a ball is better: Peppers made the North Carolina basketball team as a walk-on freshman and played BB his sophomore year before giving up basketball for football full time. He didn’t start but attempted almost 200 field goals in those two seasons and shot about 60%.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was definitely an attempt to be "cute." -The pass catchers on offense should be the ones catching targets in the endzone.
It was cute alright. But ineffective. I would've put him at the back of the enzone and lobbed a soft jump ball.
I Actually liked the attempt. MM knew that was not gonna be an easy game so he called unconventional plays. Onside kick was another. We missed several TD opportunities. Quarless dropped one, peppers dropped one. Adams dropped some catchable throws. AR was distracted by that ham and was putting too much heat on the short passes maybe overcompensating for his injury.
We should've lost in my estimation by a TD beachside of 1 thing. Inability to stop the runner at LOS, it's been plaguing us this year.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The play did work, Peppers just didn’t catch the ball. And does someone really have to have the size difference between Kuhn (6-0) and Lacy (5-11) vs. Peppers (6-7) explained? If so: Peppers is bigger, heavier and stronger. Think matchup problems for the D. BTW,

And ivo610, if you want to use JJ Watt’s catching 8 passes as a TE his freshman year at Wisconsin, the case for Peppers catching a ball is better: Peppers made the North Carolina basketball team as a walk-on freshman and played BB his sophomore year before giving up basketball for football full time. He didn’t start but attempted almost 200 field goals in those two seasons and shot about 60%.
And we all know if he catches that ball... It was the best call ever. The 1st 4 passes that hit Boykin as a rookie receiver he dropped. He then caught about 7 in a row

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, I'm talking about JJ watts time at western Michigan. He transfered to wisconsin and converted to de then. His original college position was TE

Jack, I don't think you can compare playing a position in college (catching passes every day) to playing a completely different sport.
Aaron played baseball in hs, should we have him catch passes too then?

Reaction score
No, I'm talking about JJ watts time at western Michigan. He transfered to wisconsin and converted to de then. His original college position wa

Jack, I don't think you can compare playing a position in college (catching passes every day) to playing a completely different sport.
Aaron played baseball in hs, should we have him catch passes too then?
Only if he played Outfield. If he was pitcher he should stick to shotgun only. Lol

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
And I think hand/eye coordination is the most important physical aspect regarding the ability to catch the ball. If it's OK to use Watt's time as a freshman catching 8 passes as a TE, IMO it's just as valid using Peppers' freshman and sophomore seasons at a great basketball school as evidence of his hand/eye coordination catching the ball. And he has 10 INTs in the NFL.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear Mason Crosby wants to play rb in goal line situations... Mise well put him in right? Mise well let him run that sweep play mM loves so much.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think hand/eye coordination is the most important physical aspect regarding the ability to catch the ball. If it's OK to use Watt's time as a freshman catching 8 passes as a TE, IMO it's just as valid using Peppers' freshman and sophomore seasons at a great basketball school as evidence of his hand/eye coordination catching the ball. And he has 10 INTs in the NFL.
We'll have to disagree as I don't see much of a comparison to playing a position in college (practiced everyday catching FOOTBALLS) to playing basketball, and you do.

All the praise in the world to peppers for playing college basketball though. I'm sure he will tear it up against the local cops in charity games this year

Members online

Latest posts