How was that supposed to work?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colt lyerla caught 7 passes his 1st year in college, and some were predicting he was going to be our starting TE

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Colt lyerla caught 7 passes his 1st year in college, and some were predicting he was going to be our starting TE
So what?

Look, if you think Watts has better hands than Peppers we do just disagree. I didn't think it had to be said but consider the number of times a player catches a basketball in practice and games vs. the number of times a TE does so. The difference between catching a basketball and a football is not significant IMO. IOW, I don't think you'll find an athlete with great "basketball hands" who has trouble catching a football.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what?

Look, if you think Watts has better hands than Peppers we do just disagree. I didn't think it had to be said but consider the number of times a player catches a basketball in practice and games vs. the number of times a TE does so. The difference between catching a basketball and a football is not significant IMO. IOW, I don't think you'll find an athlete with great "basketball hands" who has trouble catching a football.
Even though they are both shaped differently and a football might be thrown faster?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play did work, Peppers just didn’t catch the ball. And does someone really have to have the size difference between Kuhn (6-0) and Lacy (5-11) vs. Peppers (6-7) explained? If so: Peppers is bigger, heavier and stronger. Think matchup problems for the D. BTW,
I suppose that could be another answer.

If I remember right Peppers was unblocked going in.
Either it's because no one on the Taint's D was expecting him to try and catch or else it was the way they ran the D on that play.

You're sticking up for the choice of Peppers because of his hoops experience. I can get that.
What I don't get is why not use a receiver who has a much better chance at catching it.
It was a gutsy play to be sure. I just don't see the need for it at all and I'm trying to get the understanding behind it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what?

Watt is better at catching a football bc he trained and played not only on that side of the ball but that position and that sport. You can downplay his commitment, time, and effort in being a TE all you want but I can tell you wjile you knock his catches being in the single digits, he spent hours catching in practice and on his own. Athletes do put in time outside of games practicing their positions.

Yes we definitely disagree, just bc you played one sport doesn't make you proficient at another. Basketballs and footballs come at different speeds. They are different sizes. They are passed differently.

By your reasoning charles Barkley should have thrown some heat at wrigley this past sept bc he knows how to pass a basketball. In case you didn't hear, he did not throw heat.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I could understand using Peppers for his size advantage on a lob, but not a quick slant. You don't need to have a size advantage to run the slant, quickness works better in that case. I would have rather had a receiver whose job it is to catch passes and practices that every day rather than a de, even if they did practice it once in a while.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Catching is different from throwing. If any of you played both basketball and football I'll bet if you had good hands (could catch) in one, you did in the other.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I could understand using Peppers for his size advantage on a lob, but not a quick slant. You don't need to have a size advantage to run the slant, quickness works better in that case. I would have rather had a receiver whose job it is to catch passes and practices that every day rather than a de, even if they did practice it once in a while.
I just hope they learn from that mistake and will never do it again.
Why not stick with what works and that is to use a back or receiver in that situation?
Peppers is not supposed to score TDs unless it's an interception and he runs it back. Period.