How much carry over do you expect?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Let's say our defense does improve from last season albeit maybe not as much as we hope. Do you still expect our offense to be able to handle the task of putting up 30 points every week, or do you expect the efficiency and production to slip?

Typically an offense that puts up the stats like the one we had last season can't be expected to duplicate this in back to back seasons. Whether this comes from the loss or drop in production of certain players or opposing teams figuring out ways to slow us down.

We may or may not lose Driver which I think will have an impact on our offense to a degree. Although I think if Finley can get back to form we'll be much better off.

Our offensive line may undergo some changes which could affect things as well.

And then Rodgers, every QB has periods of success with some years of pretty mortal QB play.

Do you expect the same offensive numbers next season?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Colts and Pats have been able to do it in the past, i don't see why we can't either, especially since the only person on the offense that we could conceivably end up losing is Driver and maybe Grant. I fully expect Finely and Wells to both be back. I just hope that the team doesn't peak at the wrong time again.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't tend to think about that kind of thing. But I will say that I dont expect the offense to be exactly the same. That could mean a drop in production. Could mean better production.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm wondering too how much losing Joe Philbin will affect things as well. Granted he was essentially just running MM's offense but still. He didn't get a head coaching position for nothing

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To expand on what Dan115 posted, I think it’s reasonable to expect the Packers to put up slightly better than average numbers on offense next season and here’s my definition of average: Since Rodgers became the starting QB the Packers have averaged 28.6 points per game in the regular season and their average finish in league scoring is 5th. I expect a little better than average because Rodgers and his receivers should be getting even more and more in sync. Particularly players like Cobb, Finley and perhaps “newcomers” Green and/or Saine. But even vets like Nelson should be getting even more in sync with Rodgers. Assuming Wells and Finley return, two spots are key IMO. First LT. If Newhouse doesn’t improve his pass blocking it may make sense to move Bulaga over there (I can’t see Sherrod being ready this season). The other spot is the third down back. They missed Brandon Jackson’s pass blocking in this crucial role. If Green or Saine or even Sparks can consistently protect, any of them should be more explosive than Jackson when they do get the ball. If he is willing and able to block, I wonder if Cobb might be spectacular coming out of the backfield on third down? They finished last season first in the league at 35 ppg. I don’t expect that but if they protect Rodgers there’s no reason they won’t be in the top five scoring offenses in the league at 28ppg or more.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I have read several player and coaches comments on Saine having great hands. If he can block and be a receiving threat out of the backfield on third down it would add Testosterone to an already pumped up beast. But the key is gotta keep the franchise standing.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The law of averages says we're due to have a worse-than-normal year for injuries along the WR corps.

If not, I think we're due to lead the NFL in scoring offense. Not #5, but #1.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First LT. If Newhouse doesn’t improve his pass blocking it may make sense to move Bulaga over there (I can’t see Sherrod being ready this season).

I think Newhouse will be fine next year, he'll be 24, had most of one season in at LT already, while he doesn't have a HUGE upside, nor do I think he's the long term solution, I think for next season he'll be pretty good. Remember he went up against a lot of REALLY good DE's and did fairly well for a young guy. Sherrod won't be back till 2013, nor should they try to push him into playing. Bulaga needs to stay at RT, he'll be a rock there for years.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The law of averages says we're due to have a worse-than-normal year for injuries along the WR corps.

The thought of this really worries me. But granted we still were able to score a lot of points when Jennings went down. We have a lot of talent and depth there, but if the old man gets released I don't think that will be the case.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Newhouse will be fine next year, he'll be 24, had most of one season in at LT already, while he doesn't have a HUGE upside, nor do I think he's the long term solution, I think for next season he'll be pretty good. Remember he went up against a lot of REALLY good DE's and did fairly well for a young guy.
We can hope Newhouse will be fine next year but he has to improve significantly IMO. Here's part of what McGinn had to say about Newhouse in his season ending grades column: "The 10½ sacks allowed by Newhouse were part of his total of 41½ pressures, twice as many as anyone else and more than any Packers O-lineman has had in the last 13 years. He also gave up the second-most bad runs with 14½." IMO that's not "fairly well". So of course I hope and wish he’ll do fine but if he doesn’t, I don’t want the Packers to expose Rodgers to a repeat of that kind of play. We agree Sherrod isn’t going to be the answer this year so that leaves one capable LT on the roster in Bulaga. I would much rather see him stay at RT, but not at the risk to Rodgers’ health the 2011 version of Newhouse presents.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is going way-way out on a limb and has about a .5% of happening, but regarding the LT situation I recall that Lang beat out Sherrod for the position last year, but they moved him back to his natural OG position later. I was just thinking about this scenario . . .

If Wells' price tag is too high, we let him walk. We sign Carl Nicks as our big FA acquisition. NO probably will not be franchising him. Nicks is 25 years old and one of the best guards in the NFL. We draft Peter Konz at #28. We move Lang to LT.

It would be intriguing no? Yes I realize we need to get the BPAs at OLB/DE and DB that we can, but there may still be some quality picks there in the 2nd round.

/reality check back on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
ExpatPacker,

The reason your .5% solution isn’t intriguing to me is you have the Packers spending big UFA money and a first round pick and you end up with a great OL except at the most important spot. Lang isn’t even an average NFL LT. Now I understand it’s a fantasy, I just expect more from fantasies - maybe they could clone Clifton - or Forrest Gregg?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can hope Newhouse will be fine next year but he has to improve significantly IMO. Here's part of what McGinn had to say about Newhouse in his season ending grades column: "The 10½ sacks allowed by Newhouse were part of his total of 41½ pressures, twice as many as anyone else and more than any Packers O-lineman has had in the last 13 years. He also gave up the second-most bad runs with 14½." IMO that's not "fairly well". So of course I hope and wish he’ll do fine but if he doesn’t, I don’t want the Packers to expose Rodgers to a repeat of that kind of play. We agree Sherrod isn’t going to be the answer this year so that leaves one capable LT on the roster in Bulaga. I would much rather see him stay at RT, but not at the risk to Rodgers’ health the 2011 version of Newhouse presents.

(BTW, as you can see, I didn’t particularly “like” that post. A frisky cat ran into my hand when I was about to hit “reply”:oops: )

Newhouse wasn't Great or anything, I recognize that, however he did go against a "murders-row" of the best DE's in the league, which he wont have to do this year. Is he the weak point? yeah, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been, which is why I suggested giving him next year then put Sherrod in at LT in 2013

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ExpatPacker,

The reason your .5% solution isn’t intriguing to me is you have the Packers spending big UFA money and a first round pick and you end up with a great OL except at the most important spot. Lang isn’t even an average NFL LT. Now I understand it’s a fantasy, I just expect more from fantasies - maybe they could clone Clifton - or Forrest Gregg?

You're so demanding Jack. It's because there really isn't much of a good answer at the LT spot right now. So given this scenario what's the best I can hope for? That Lang and Newhouse will fight it out to see who gets the start. Meanwhile, Sherrod who seem to be recovering pretty well, has a good preseason and develops in the LT we were hoping for as the season progresses.

Does that intrigue you any more?

The only reason why I even made this up is because it sounds like Wells and his agent are going to want a 5-year contract worth about 6.5 mill a year. Too much in my book for a 31-year old Center. We could probably land a 25-year old Nicks with that offer, or possibly I should say.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
I think we will some defensive improvements. I still see us at 13 - 3 or 12 - 4. It would be real hard to repeat what we did last season. I like all of you would like to see a regular season of 16 - 0 but that would not be easy. It would be hard to stay that focused and that motivated for that long.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its tempting to franchise wells if you dont plan on franchising
flynn, with the intention of letting him walk after 2012

Latest posts