How does Brett's retiring affect our off season strategy?

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Brett gone, how capable is Aaron and what do we do to address the back up QB now?

I think Aaron will be serviceable, if not better. However, I also see QB as a need during the offseason if for nothing more than at least a backup QB.

I would say that the only area in which we don't need to focus would be receiver. Beyond that, I would focus on best player available and lean towards filling in the Oline and adding depth to our secondary.

Bruce wrote a great write up about our secondary and their growth, however, beyond Al and charles, I think we have a drop off to our second tier players. I would address that gap.

As for QB, if we can bring in some competition for Rogers, great, but I don't think anyone can step in in one off season and beat him, but some competition may help him along. I think the need here is clearly back up purpose.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Packers bringing in any "competition" for Rodg. He will be the starter, and I think he has earned it. As for the rest of the team, i think if you can bring in a good player, you do it, always.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: How does Brett's retiring affect our off season strategy

bozz_2006 said:
I don't see the Packers bringing in any "competition" for Rodg. He will be the starter, and I think he has earned it. As for the rest of the team, i think if you can bring in a good player, you do it, always.

I think we'll obviously bring someone (who won't be as good or prepared as A-rod) in. He WILL need a backup. I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a QB in the 5th round or something.

Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
probally bring in several guys.

With Arod i think it will be a situation where you bring in a vet. not even a great one. just a veteran qb. i can see 3 qbs on the roster

then you will draft a guy late in the rounds maybe.

Paul Thompson will be around in camp for sure.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rogers is their guy. They've been grooming him for four years. He's ready my friends. As I said in another post, if he's not the guy, it won't take an entire year to know that. I think Ted has done a nice job of filling in the team around the QB just for this reason. When Brett decided to retire, the team was already in place. Brett carried the team most of the year. They have to address the offensive line. If they can fix that up, the offense will run really well.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: How does Brett's retiring affect our off season strategy

I think we'll obviously bring someone (who won't be as good or prepared as A-rod) in. He WILL need a backup. I wouldn't be shocked if we draft a QB in the 5th round or something.

Otherwise, it's business as usual.

This is what I envision as well. Probably a later round, a QB will be selected in the event that Rodgers doesn't work out. There's always that chance. I can see a veteran FA being signed as well, I've heard the name of Quinn Gray being thrown out there. Anyone but Ferotte I say.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think much at all will change for the off season strategy.

There are only 2 changes of note I can see: TT using the extra cap space to extend contracts for players who will be FAs after the next season: Jolly, Picket, Kampman, etc. and selecting a #3 QB in the draft. I could also see the signing of a low priced QB to push Nall for the backup spot.

TT and MM have done a good job to create a talented, young team. They have focused on improving the defense to take pressure off the offense. They have talked about improving the running game and hopefully our OL will gel as a unit this year. Rogers is capable of being the leader and now it's time to see if he can step up to that role.

GO PACK GO!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are back in 3 QB territory, with Rogers, a capable veteran, and 2 young guys battling for the 3 spots. I think a QB would have been drafted this year regardless, however now the priority may be a little higher and it is also important to have a veteran behind Rogers.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will work out.

This is the thing - we'll need 3 QBs instead of 2 like we had with Favre and Rodgers. Nall will be our #2 guy.

I think we draft one guy and pick up a FA to compete for the #3 spot.

Members online

Latest posts