How bad do we really need Bubba?

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys I think that it is critical that we sign Franks before the season starts. If we do we would be one of the very best if not they best offense in the league. And if our defense plays half way decent with our great offense we may have a shot at somthing. So my question is do you guys think we need Bubba to have a winning season?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think some of the issues in the running game could be due to Bubba's absence as a blocker and his value as a midfield threat. Will the lack of Bubba result in more losses? I don't know.

I am a little concerned w/ how little we've heard about this, but I still suspect that he'll sit out most of TC, then sign for the 2 mil just b4 the season starts. Even though he wants more $, it's a lot more than 0, and I'm positive he realizes that.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta agree, musccy...the running game will suffer w/o him. That said, Bubba is NOT a $4 million/year player....perhaps around 3.25, maybe 3.5 million....and that is a reach. But again, all Bubba does is his job, day in day out....and pretty well I might add. That has to be worth something.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, 3.5 is a bit much, but the only rumbling I've heard/read about this is that the Pack won't budge, and Bubba knows this. Since players don't care for TC, and he is not obligated to attend at the moment, he'll wait 'til it's over, also making sure he can't get another offer, and then sign whatever the offer the Packers currently have on the table ( 2.whatever mil )

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Musccy - Here is my concern with this right now, since we tagged him he could only negotiate with other teams up until 7/22/05, thus he can only deal with the Packers at this time. To me, this is concerning because not much is being talked about and even Sherman and staff have not talked to Bubba lately. I am not sure why he doesn't sign the tender with a clause like Alexander in Seattle did with the assurance the the Packers would tag him next year. This is a win win situation for the team and Bubba for this year and next. Packers don't pay him, he can go anywhere he wants.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Musccy - Here is my concern with this right now, since we tagged him he could only negotiate with other teams up until 7/22/05, thus he can only deal with the Packers at this time. To me, this is concerning because not much is being talked about and even Sherman and staff have not talked to Bubba lately. I am not sure why he doesn't sign the tender with a clause like Alexander in Seattle did with the assurance the the Packers would tag him next year. This is a win win situation for the team and Bubba for this year and next. Packers don't pay him, he can go anywhere he wants.

Sherman talked to Bubba just a week or two ago.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Gotta agree, musccy...the running game will suffer w/o him. That said, Bubba is NOT a $4 million/year player....perhaps around 3.25, maybe 3.5 million....and that is a reach. But again, all Bubba does is his job, day in day out....and pretty well I might add. That has to be worth something.

I totally agree.
Supposedly Martin is a better blocker (Cliff Christl said it, not me-I don't see everypractice like he does, :D ) but the dude can't stay on the field. Bubba is very solid and I think he helps this team more than hurts it, which you can't say for the other TEs who are always hurt or are dropping passes.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, here is my understanding... Bubba (barring a signing bonus) won't see a dime until the season starts whether he signs a contract today or on Sept 10, right? So, if he waits 'til then to sign, it makes no difference in how much $ he gets, which means he gets to miss out on everyone's favorite, TC, and it leaves the door open for some other team who might lose a TE in TC to offer him more $ than the Packers will.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, here is my understanding... Bubba (barring a signing bonus) won't see a dime until the season starts whether he signs a contract today or on Sept 10, right? So, if he waits 'til then to sign, it makes no difference in how much $ he gets, which means he gets to miss out on everyone's favorite, TC, and it leaves the door open for some other team who might lose a TE in TC to offer him more $ than the Packers will.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you seen who's playing TE for us currently? Might as well suit up BJ Sanders. We need Bubba badly. I think we can get him for under 3.5 as long as the length of the contract is attractive. He wants to retire a Packer.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Have you seen who's playing TE for us currently? Might as well suit up BJ Sanders. We need Bubba badly. I think we can get him for under 3.5 as long as the length of the contract is attractive. He wants to retire a Packer.

Except Bubba isn't Gates or Gonzalez, who actually deserve that type of money. Bubba is well, Bubba. Solid. He catches a pass and he looks like he's on ice skates after that. He's a solid blocker and a solid reciever. That's it. The tender we gave him is fair. Of course I'd like to see us pony up a deal with some incentives so he has a chance to make some more money, but he's got no leverage really.
I have no doubt he'll be in camp soon.

OP
OP
A

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wondering I dont know if anyone else knows but how does he stay in shape if he isn't in training camp and in practice?

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per Rotowire...

Contract talks between the Packers and Franks are ongoing and reportedly not contentious, but no deal is imminent, PackersNews.com reports. Franks hasn

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A week ago I thought that, between Martin and Steele, the team would be okay without Bubba, but now that both those guys are injured it is looking pretty grim. All I've heard about Steele so far is that he is out "indefinitely." That doesn't sound good. Bubba may be picking up some leverage, but now that Thompson has come this far, I doubt he will give in and pay big bucks to a TE who catches less than 40 passes per year. This could drag into the regular season, and it could get really interesting if the backups cannot stay healthy and contribute. Still, I don't see Thompson upgrading a multi-year contract because of a crisis that he may view as temporary.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His role is different than that of Gonzales. He blocks, blocks, blocks, gets into the red zone and catches TD's. He's not used to spread the field like some of the other top TE's. If we had that TE with seperation speed our O would be tweaked around it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba isnt that great at blocking, that is one of the reasons the U-71 formation is around. He isnt..BAd at it. Im not too fond of Franks. He is your average (MAYBE above average..maybe) run of the mill TE.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like the senario with Green as a RB. All around Bubba is a good TE, maybe not great, but the best we have at an affordable price. We have no cap space and considering Steele and Martin are out, what other choice do you recommend?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts