1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Home Field

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Unomee, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Unomee

Unomee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +37
    How is it that the team has not yet clinched HFA? They do own tie breaker with the Saints and why would the 49er's get it assuming the pack were to lose it's final two games?

2. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +609
    1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in conference games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss.
    If we lost our last 2 games and the 49ers won the last 2 games, I believe they would win #3

3. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Common games is correct, they mentioned it on ESPN last night.

4. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    You can go here and play what-if all day and you'll see that we don't have it locked up. If we lose our last two and SF wins theirs, they will have HFA. They have the tie-breaker. But that's four games that have to go SF's way. We only need one of them to go our way.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

5. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Makes me shudder we are even talking about this, when last week it was, nobody left can beat us. WE LOCK CHRISTMAS.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Home field is overrated anyway, as if us winning 4 post-season games just last year didn't prove, our us losing our last HOME playoff game to the Giants in 2008, who also won 4 playoff games away from their home, to win the Super Bowl.

For a team like the Saints, they've struggled away from their dome though... losing at Seattle somehow.

7. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    I'd much rather be playing at Lambeau than Candlestick. SF plays especially well at home. They are a different team on the road, where their wins have been much closer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Also if you end up in SF you may have to suffer through 20 minute black outs. *sigh* ;)

Beat the Bears Sunday night and end this thing. The Packers can and should beat the Bears.

• Like Like x 2
  9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    I hear ya. I am a Colts fan first after all LOL. I know all too well what it is like to have a glorious regular season to see it come crashing down at the wrong time. I pray it won't happen to Green Bay. I don't think it will and I hope I am right on this one.

Sometimes the first game coming off the bye week is the toughest. A team with momentum waltzing in and all that jazz.

11. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    don't be so short sighted, the numbers over many many many years of playoffs greatly FAVOR the HOME team

12. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    OK, go back 30 years and tell me how many times the #1 seeds make the Super Bowl. I bet it's no more than half the time.

• Like Like x 1
  13. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Well playing a month at home with a bye week in there sure as hell can't hurt.

14. okcpackerfan

okcpackerfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +186
    a better analysis - how about you go back 30 years and tell me often the road team wins in the playoffs, I bet its below 50%.

15. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    No matter what, you would rather be at home. And you would rather force dome teams to come to the cold and stuff like that.

I'll tell you this. The #1 seed has not been the best of luck for AFC teams since 2005. I can't go through history but of course you would rather be at home.

2005-Colts one and done
    2006-Chargers one and done
    2007-Pats lost SB
    2008-Titans one and done
    2009-Colts lost SB
    2010-Pats one and done

At least the NFC has a SB winner in recent years who has had the #1 seed.

Both #1 seeds don't tend to go to the SB either. In 2009 it almost seemed rare for both to get there.

This is from before the 2009 playoffs:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8152fe3b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

• Like Like x 1
  16. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Right, that illustrates just how irrelevant that gaining the #1 seed is.

Remember the 2007 season in which the Packers and Cowboys were both 10-1, met in Dallas, Farve sucked, knicked his elbow up, younr Aaron came in with us in a 27-10 hole, and almost dug us all the way out?

That game gave the Cowboys the #1 seed and us the #2 seed. We were both clearly the top 2 teams in the NFC pretty much from Sept til January when the playoffs began. During that season, the Cows had spanked the Giants two times, and we crushed them once too, in New York.

When the playoffs came, the Giants went to Tampa, won.
    Went to #1 Dallas. Won.
    Went to frozen Green Bay. Won.

I'm just trying to caution people that with the way we played on the road last year in the playoffs, and the way we've not protected home field in the playoffs the past 4 or 5 games, and the way our offense is built around a high octane, precison passing strategy, with a lot of receivers who drop balls, playing in ice cold weather is not going to help our composition.

We are not a physical team on either side of the ball. We don't have a strong mindset to run, and we don't stop the run well.

Pray that the middle part of January is unseasonably warm in Green Bay.

17. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I think Rizzo has a valid point. The real advantage at home is the crowd and familiar territory. However, last season's playoffs on the road were very successful for us. Maybe the team on the road has that extra adrenalin. (last week's KC game excluded) I personally like the home games because I feel the local love. Yet, IMO, it all depends on which one of our teams shows up to play.

18. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    I think Jules is right.

The only # 6 seeds that won the Super Bowl were the 2010 Packers and the 2005 Steelers (with thanks to the refs)

Last year is probably the only time in the next 10 years you will see a wild card seed from the NFC make it to the Super Bowl, and statistically, GB would have been a higher seed had they pulled through a few games. What other wild card teams other than GB, and the Giants of 2007 had some statistical advantage over everyone else? Pack never trailed by more than 7 points ever last season, no other teams had that, and each loss was 7 points or fewer.

I'm not saying wild card teams suck, but you do want homefield advantage. This team won it last year on the road for 3 games, but that barely ever happens in the league. What would you rather have? Going on the road for 3 games to the Super Bowl, or home field advantage knowing you are safer in your own stadium? I think I'd go with option B, especially if it comes down to Dome teams. You WANT to force those dome teams like New Orleans and Detroit to come to a cold weather atmosphere, as they are dome teams.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    our recent record at home in the playoffs is very depressing. Not sure if I will ever get over the Giants game.