Highs and lows of the season to date

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well my cheesy friends, the season's looking good and ripe and it won't be too long before we're all wondering what we're going to do on a Sunday until September arrives.

The season for the Packers and the Cowboys hasn't quite panned out as we expected. But just for fun, what have been your highs and lows this season?

For me there haven't been many highs, the most memorable I suppose was that week one buzz, relishing in the the NFL being back and slavishly pouring over all the various forecasts and predictions. Beating the Eagles felt good too.

The lows. That's easy. Romo going out in week 3 and then the realization over the next few weeks that the Cowboys are a bad football team with some pretty average coaches. I can still enjoy the season as I'm a football fan and there are a handful of other teams I like to see do well, but first and foremost I'm a Cowboys fan and this season has been a firm kick to the ********.

You?

Sky King

Reaction score
Hmmmmm...
It all began with Jordy Nelson's ACL injury. That was the early low, of course. The opener against the Bears was a thumb's-up and set the table for a supposedly big year, or so we had hoped. The 6-0 start only fell in line with McCarthy's goal of a fast start carrying the Packers to the playoffs with heavy momentum. As a bonus we put the onus on two old nemesis from S.F. and Seattle. All seemed well, except that we had been seeing signs during those six games that all may not be as well as the W-L record would have implied. Not to mention that this must be the "Year of the Ankle" on the Chinese calendar.

Losing 4 out of the next 5 games made a powerful statement. It cast serious doubt upon McCarthy's re-organizational plan. His new coaches transformed a once roaring-lion-of-an-offense into a gentle, declawed kitten. It also changed a two-time MVP into a shadow of his former self in barely half a season.

But the lowest point of all came on Thanksgiving Day. There before 80,000 witnesses the current coaches and players embarrassed themselves live on National TV. In what can only go down in Packer history as a letdown of epic proportions and monumental disappointment, these underachievers insulted two of their greatest former players -- one of whom struggled mightily just to recover enough to even walk onto that field for what is likely to be his very last appearance at Lambeau Field. That was the triumph of a true champion. Too bad a little of that moxie failed to inspire a few of these modern-day pretenders. Thanks for the memories, boys.

Even the most apologetic Pollyanna has to recognize the underlying significance that a failure of this magnitude represents.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everything except for the final analysis. I believe that we'll look back in a year and see this as the beginning of an improved team....not confirmation of a plummet into mediocrity. Major coaching changes always seem to take a while.....the loss of Philbin.....the switch to a 3-4 defense..... We are struggling for sure but I think it's a time of learning a new way to play with one another. We will have a lot of depth later this season if the injuries subside. That's my rose-tinted view.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lowest points for me were the Carolina and Detroit games. I was crushed.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well my cheesy friends, the season's looking good and ripe and it won't be too long before we're all wondering what we're going to do on a Sunday until September arrives.

The season for the Packers and the Cowboys hasn't quite panned out as we expected. But just for fun, what have been your highs and lows this season?

For me there haven't been many highs, the most memorable I suppose was that week one buzz, relishing in the the NFL being back and slavishly pouring over all the various forecasts and predictions. Beating the Eagles felt good too.

The lows. That's easy. Romo going out in week 3 and then the realization over the next few weeks that the Cowboys are a bad football team with some pretty average coaches. I can still enjoy the season as I'm a football fan and there are a handful of other teams I like to see do well, but first and foremost I'm a Cowboys fan and this season has been a firm kick to the ********.

You?
The Boys really got the short end this season. They would have been SB contenders. The Packers had some bad breaks but they have been the victim of their own shortcomings. It hurts when a team beats Pete Carroll and Andy Reid then loses to the Lions and Bears. Losing to two great powerhouses like Denver and Carolina is nothing to cry about. But failing to get to the postseason because of two slugs is pitiful.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing to the Bears on Thanksgiving on a special night for the Packer franchise.. This is the season's low point for me.

OP
OP
Beagle

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been ugly on the injury front. Sean Lee's concussions, Dez's foot, Romo of course. I also think the Hardy mess has split the team and the fans. I find myself staying away from the Cowboys forums more and more because I just get drawn into endless arguments, mostly with the Romo haters and the 'entitlement' crowd. It's nicer here (not that I ahve any divided loyalties - I may cheer on a few select teams but I'm only ever going to drink from a Dallas coffee mug).

Incredibly the Cowboys are still in the hunt for the divisional title, if the Jets beat the Giants this week and we beat the 'Skins then we're only one game off the pace. Not that we deserve to be there.

I'm not sure the Lions are all that bad (I'll give you the Bears point though), we tend to expect the differences in a team's form to come outside of the regular season, but the Lions are showing improvement week on week, so unfortunately are the Vikings. It looks like the game against Dallas is going to be a cruncher this year.....just like last year

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If I was living on some remote Island this season and all I could find out were the final scores of the Packer games, I would have assumed that Aaron Rodgers suffered some type of major injury in the Denver game and hasn't played since. Which kind of sums up my feelings about the season since game 6.....a feeling of disconnection and out of touch, especially by the offense.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts