He's got the look

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that one with colin kaepernick made me actually kinda like him :eek: he handled that well

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers has always been ultra-competitive, plays with a chip (real or imagined) on his shoulder. He was embarrassed last year, and I look for him to come back with an edge to him that will make perhaps the best he's ever been.

At least I h0pe so;)

Through the first 6 games, Rodgers was playing the best football he ever had. I couldn't even believe a lot of what he was doing, like the KC game where he was scanning the Chiefs sideline for subs and going no huddle to keep certain guys on or off the field. Lacy was fat and out of shape, injuries and disappointment at receiver provided an easy blueprint to shutting down everyone besides Rodgers, eventually leading to a python like suffocation of the entire offense.

Long story short, anyone that thinks Rodgers declined last year is sorely mistaken.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm sure glad to hear that. I was thinking that a lot of the errant passes were his fault. Good to know.

D

Deleted member 6794

Through the first 6 games, Rodgers was playing the best football he ever had. I couldn't even believe a lot of what he was doing, like the KC game where he was scanning the Chiefs sideline for subs and going no huddle to keep certain guys on or off the field.

Long story short, anyone that thinks Rodgers declined last year is sorely mistaken.

Rodgers played extremely well during the first six games of last season but not on par with his performance in 2011.

After the Chargers game his production dropped off significantly though and he's partly to blame for it as well.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played extremely well during the first six games of last season but not on par with his performance in 2011.

After the Chargers game his production dropped off significantly though and he's partly to blame for it as well.

Agreed. It certainly wasn't all his fault, but Rodgers did not perform to his usual standard last season, and I believe he knows it. And I believe he will use it as motivation this season.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
12 had a down year for all the reasons listed above. He has set an absurdly high standard for himself and I fully expect him to return to form and then some this upcoming season. You know he's not satisfied with his play last year and will do everything in his power to make sure history doesn't repeat itself. I am expecting another MVP-like performance this season with a stat line close to 67% completion, 4,700 yards, 42 TD's, 7 INT's plus about 250 yards rushing and 4-5 rushing TD's. We have been waiting for another SB run and I believe with all my heart this is the year. Offense looks like it will return to it's typical, high-octane self and the D seems to be ready to transition from pretty good to difference maker. So long as all the guys 'buy in' and a respectable level of health can be maintained I see no reason this team can't be the last one standing when all is said and done. THIS is the year ladies and gents! Go Pack Go!

D

Deleted member 6794

Offense looks like it will return to it's typical, high-octane self and the D seems to be ready to transition from pretty good to difference maker.

I don't expect the defense to turn into a difference maker but as long as the offense bounces back from a subpar performance in 2015 the Packers don't need them to to win another Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect the defense to turn into a difference maker but as long as the offense bounces back from a subpar performance in 2015 the Packers don't need them to to win another Super Bowl.

If you mean difference maker as in top 5 I would tend to agree but I do love the direction this defense is heading. They aren't a bottom half of the league D anymore, especially in pass D. They could get gashed for 5 ypc again though which has plagued them over the past few years.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you mean difference maker as in top 5 I would tend to agree but I do love the direction this defense is heading. They aren't a bottom half of the league D anymore, especially in pass D. They could get gashed for 5 ypc again though which has plagued them over the past few years.

I like the direction the defense is headed as well although there are still question marks at nose tackle and inside linebacker entering this season. I expect the unit to end up close to the top 10 in points allowed.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the direction the defense is headed as well although there are still question marks at nose tackle and inside linebacker entering this season. I expect the unit to end up close to the top 10 in points allowed.

Top 10 most pts or least pts?

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Top 3rd in the league in PA makes them 'difference maker' quality in my eyes. Obviously the term itself is very subjective so there really isn't a perfect answer to this. I expect this team to once again be ranked highly in total sacks especially when you consider 52 is moving back to more of a full-time edge rusher. MLB LOOKS to be more solidified this upcoming season and while maybe not great should be better. The secondary is where I have high expectations. If they can start getting their hands on more balls and turn those touches into oskies I see no reason the defensive unit can't make the full transition to difference maker. The run D is going to be the deciding factor on where this unit ends up. If they can slow down the chunk plays and make things harder on RB's then look out! If they continue to struggle with giving up big runs the chances of them taking that 'next step' are nominal.

D

Deleted member 6794

MLB LOOKS to be more solidified this upcoming season and while maybe not great should be better. The run D is going to be the deciding factor on where this unit ends up. If they can slow down the chunk plays and make things harder on RB's then look out! If they continue to struggle with giving up big runs the chances of them taking that 'next step' are nominal.

Unfortunately I´m not as convinced as some posters here that the inside linebacker position has been upgraded compared to last season as the Packers moved their best defensive player, who was average playing inside at best, back to the edge while only adding a fourth round draft pick at the position.

If one out of Clark, Guion or Pennel is able to turn into a run-stuffing nose tackle the defense will be really good. Absolutely share your optimism about the secondary as long as both starting safeties stay healthy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that most people, including TT, surmise that the upgrade comes from drafting another ILB in addition to the return of Barrington and the maturation of Ryan. I'm sure that we all remember how terrible it felt to think that we were starting Nate Palmer and rookie Jake Ryan against Seattle in Week 2 last year. Most Packers fans would agree that Jake Ryan proved that while fallible he's also capable. Barrington should be fully recovered and could allow Ryan to blossom. While neither is a great coverage linebacker, we are in a much better position at the moment than at the beginning of last season. The addition of another true ILB in Martinez adds needed depth.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They could get gashed for 5 ypc again though which has plagued them over the past few years.
Opponents playing catch-up tend to abandon the run so I don't envision too many teams hanging 5 ypc on the Packers in '16. With the offense dialed in and scoring the D just needs to NOT completely suck, which I'm confident they can do.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that most people, including TT, surmise that the upgrade comes from drafting another ILB in addition to the return of Barrington and the maturation of Ryan. I'm sure that we all remember how terrible it felt to think that we were starting Nate Palmer and rookie Jake Ryan against Seattle in Week 2 last year. Most Packers fans would agree that Jake Ryan proved that while fallible he's also capable. Barrington should be fully recovered and could allow Ryan to blossom. While neither is a great coverage linebacker, we are in a much better position at the moment than at the beginning of last season. The addition of another true ILB in Martinez adds needed depth.

I really don´t understand the perception that the Packers are in a much better position at inside linebacker entering this season compared to 2015. The team only added a fourth round pick in Martinez while having moved Matthews back outside. Barrington not being able to practice all offseason is another reason I don´t share your optimism.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you saying that I said they are much better at ILB or are you incorporating other people's comments into your response to my post? Either way you shouldn't.

They are better is all that I said and believe.

I see that you've completely discounted any optimism about Barrington's return to bolster the ILB position. I suspect that's really because you don't like Barrington, otherwise I should find posts in other topics that you share little optimism for the 2016 seasons of Jordy Nelson, TJ Lang, Corey Linsley, and Ty Montgomery - all of whom, like Barrington, were not allowed/able to practice this off-season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are you saying that I said they are much better at ILB or are you incorporating other people's comments into your response to my post?

They are better is all that I said and believe.

Here's what you wrote in the post I replied to:

While neither is a great coverage linebacker, we are in a much better position at the moment than at the beginning of last season.

After reading that statement there's no other way than to assume you think the Packers will be much better at inside linebacker entering this season.

I see that you've completely discounted any optimism about Barrington's return to bolster the ILB position. I suspect that's really because you don't like Barrington, otherwise I should find posts in other topics that you share little optimism for the 2016 seasons of Jordy Nelson, TJ Lang, Corey Linsley, and Ty Montgomery - all of whom, like Barrington, were not allowed/able to practice this off-season.

The reason I'm worried about Barrington being able to return to full strength is that his injury happened in week 1 of last season and had surgery shortly thereafter but still wasn't able to practice during the offseason. With him having suffered a foot injury (and not a torn ACL) that indicates it was a pretty severe one and I'm concerned about his prognosis.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was clearly comparing Week 2 of 2015 (Palmer and rookie starting) to the beginning of 2016 where we have two returning starters and a promising rookie backing up. You were talking about the end of 2015 to now, since you mentioned the only offseason move was to draft a 4th round player. I think that you can tell the difference.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was clearly comparing Week 2 of 2015 (Palmer and rookie starting) to the beginning of 2016 where we have two returning starters and a promising rookie backing up. You were talking about the end of 2015 to now, since you mentioned the only offseason move was to draft a 4th round player. I think that you can tell the difference.

You weren't clearly comparing the current situation with week 2 of last season as you didn't mention a single word about it. But who cares???

Just to clarify, my point is that I'm not convinced the position has been significantly upgraded over last season (no matter at what point). I hope that Martinez will provide much needed help as a coverage linebacker and Barrington replacing Matthews will improve the run defense but there aren't any guarantees for that to happen.

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think if there was a long term problem with Barrington or any sign he wouldn't make a full recovery by regular season we'd know it by now. I think if Barrington is at 95% of where he left off were good with him starting. A great deal of that position is mental and Barrington knows the system well.
I'm personally more focused on the younger guys like Ryan making a jump opposite Barrington.
It sounds like Martinez is a quick study, I hope that holds true into regular season because he's at minimal a better coverage linebacker for passing downs, which was a notable weakness early on in 2015.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts