Heres how we keep guy's who can make a play.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so let me ask you this then....would he be the best wr on New England, New York (jets) or even San Diego's roster? i'll give you a minute to look over their rosters and the wr's they have. Be honest to.

Probably but that doesn't make him a #1 wr. A #1 WR is a guy like Brandon Marshall, Percy harvin, megatron, mike Wallace, fitz, d Jackson, ect. James jones is a solid #2 WR. If he was a #1 or had the potential to be a #1 the offers he would have got in FA would have been crazy.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably but that doesn't make him a #1 wr. A #1 WR is a guy like Brandon Marshall, Percy harvin, megatron, mike Wallace, fitz, d Jackson, ect. James jones is a solid #2 WR. If he was a #1 or had the potential to be a #1 the offers he would have got in FA would have been crazy.

Fair enough..but of course that was before the 14 touchdown seaon. I GUARANTEE the offers are higher this time around ;) by the way i don't consider Mike Wallace or Dasean Jackson #1 wr's..just guy's who are really fast. If they wern't fast they would be worthless...but speed kills.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know he's not capable of being a #1?? Because he doesn't put up Calvin Johnson type #'s?? or is it the fact that he's played with Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, Randel cobb and Jermicheal Finley?

He's not a #1. He's a good receiver that plays with the best QB. Look what happened to Jennings. If Jones leaves he won't ever put up 15 td's again or even come close. I wan't him back but this team has bigger issues on defense. And if he walks our offense is fine with Rodgers, Lacy, Cobb, Nelson and Boykin next season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a #1. He's a good receiver that plays with the best QB. Look what happened to Jennings. If Jones leaves he won't ever put up 15 td's again or even come close. I wan't him back but this team has bigger issues on defense. And if he walks our offense is fine with Rodgers, Lacy, Cobb, Nelson and Boykin next season.

haha see how do you know this? why can't he go to New England and play with Brady and catch alot of passes and touchdowns? or even to Indy with luck and put up some good numbers? or even San Diego with Rivers and put up some good numbers? Rodgers is the best qb in the NFL but he's not the only one capable of throwing for a bunch of yds and touchdowns. Yea he may not have 15 td's again but 9 td's and over 1,000 yd's is still pretty darn good. I think JJ has those type of numbers in him.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another TT failing. We used to be feared for our 5WR set. Now we are talking about letting JJ go? When they are all healthy, we can field 4 that can catch, as it is, 3.

That's kinda what i touched on earlier..i figure if you can't stop anybody on defense mise well give #12 the weapons to try to outscore them. I would try to keep JJ around that's for sure.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 Receiver?
Who gives a r@t's @ss who is considered a "#1 receiver".

Was Randy Moss ever a bonafide #1 receiver?
How about Calvin Johnson?
Larry Fitzgerald?
Andrew Johnson?
Terrell Owens?

All great ones, with tons of production and some playoff success.

But Tom Brady won his 3 Super Bowls with NOBODY who you would consider a #1 receiver.

Last year's Ravens didn't have what you would consider a #1 receiver, but they beat DeMarious Thomas & Eric Decker, who is a Jordy Nelson clone.
Are they #1 WRs?

Is Greg Jennings a #1 WR?
What about Sidney Rice or Golden Tate, Santana Moss or Pierre Garcon?

This "#1 receiver" label is a silly cliche.

I'll take 4 great ones instead of 1 mega-superstar like Andre and Calvin and TO and Moss were.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The irony in you being a grammar **** when writing this post is too much.
Now, I'm not intending to be a grammar **** because Lord knows I have many poorly written posts when I'm trying to rush one out while working. The point of this exercise - get a life. Especially when your grammar is just as poor as the rest of us.
Dude, you can stet on 100% of that crap. You know it and I know it. Throwing punctuation all over the place is hardly the idea here. You contend I need more commas? I contend you are fighting a battle that has no winner. Commas are common to separate three common elements in a series, you are using commas to separate two.
Only you determine that the last clause is dreadful and unnecessary. I content it questions whether I am addressing a male or female. How is that unnecessary. If I had addressed in the former or the latter you'd have a problem with it right? By assuming sex? Shehe was a a writers invention of mine. You might not have seen it before but there it is for all it's glorious creative potential. The fact that you didn't recognize it as artistic license shows you are a "by the books" kind of reader. Shoe me an example of your creative license and/or Rodell's and you might have a point.
Poorly worded run on? How would you have written it Mr. Bard? The best part is you correcting me with an apostrophe in the text where I was intentionally trying to highlight errors.
The comma before the conjunction in the last paragraph is subjective. There is no question that Rodell thinks highly of himself and there is no question that others question his objectivity and/or intelligence. One follows the other if you've been paying attention. From a perspective of one who doesn't participate often I can see your point. For someone who's seen his posts it's obvious I do not need to separate the ideas offered.
So yea, thanks for the English lesson but you should learn style book references to commas because you seem to be the comma fairy.
Everybody, gets, one.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, you can stet on 100% of that crap. You know it and I know it. Throwing punctuation all over the place is hardly the idea here. You contend I need more commas? I contend you are fighting a battle that has no winner. Commas are common to separate three common elements in a series, you are using commas to separate two.
Only you determine that the last clause is dreadful and unnecessary. I content it questions whether I am addressing a male or female. How is that unnecessary. If I had addressed in the former or the latter you'd have a problem with it right? By assuming sex? Shehe was a a writers invention of mine. You might not have seen it before but there it is for all it's glorious creative potential. The fact that you didn't recognize it as artistic license shows you are a "by the books" kind of reader. Shoe me an example of your creative license and/or Rodell's and you might have a point.
Poorly worded run on? How would you have written it Mr. Bard? The best part is you correcting me with an apostrophe in the text where I was intentionally trying to highlight errors.
The comma before the conjunction in the last paragraph is subjective. There is no question that Rodell thinks highly of himself and there is no question that others question his objectivity and/or intelligence. One follows the other if you've been paying attention. From a perspective of one who doesn't participate often I can see your point. For someone who's seen his posts it's obvious I do not need to separate the ideas offered.
So yea, thanks for the English lesson but you should learn style book references to commas because you seem to be the comma fairy.
Everybody, gets, one.

Dude. Get a life. No one cares. We're here to talk Packers. We're not submitting papers to teachers, submitting briefs to a Court, or writing a story for an editor. So stop hating on Rodell for his writing. You can hate his opinions - which I do often ;) - but keep it focused on that. Not this nonsense.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha see how do you know this? why can't he go to New England and play with Brady and catch alot of passes and touchdowns? or even to Indy with luck and put up some good numbers? or even San Diego with Rivers and put up some good numbers? Rodgers is the best qb in the NFL but he's not the only one capable of throwing for a bunch of yds and touchdowns. Yea he may not have 15 td's again but 9 td's and over 1,000 yd's is still pretty darn good. I think JJ has those type of numbers in him.

My point here is that the Pack will not overpay for Jones. They proved it last time when they pretty much told him to go find another team. He didn't get the offers he thought he would and he came back albeit for a reasonable price. Same thing applies here. The Pack have depth and there is a chance that this time he gets more money, but he won't get 9-10 mill a year which is what #1's are getting.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Jones back. He is great on this team and Rodgers is comfortable with him. I would love to have Nelson, Cobb and Jones next season with Lacy. But I just hope Jones doesn't get any high offers or just decides to turn down a better offer to stay with the Pack.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Dude. Get a life. No one cares. We're here to talk Packers. We're not submitting papers to teachers, submitting briefs to a Court, or writing a story for an editor. So stop hating on Rodell for his writing. You can hate his opinions - which I do often ;) - but keep it focused on that. Not this nonsense.
I was quoting you, not Rodell Dude! Think about your post. You tell me to get a life yet you are critiquing my post. Yea, get a life indeed.
Finally, don't tell me what to focus on. Are you the new editor here? Focus on your own posts Border, not mine.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Huh? Really??? Sheesh... if Aaron built them the first time, he can do it a second time without a problem, right?

How understand that I am a believer that Rodgers (like Favre) made most of their receiving corps appear better than they really were ... and ... it is a safe assumption that an NFL receiver can catch and hang on to a ball that hits him in the hands or numbers, or is able to run INTO a reception, or is able to run himself open, right? So then, the #1 priority is to have a QB1 who can do just that 75% of the time. Said QB1 inherently creates Pro Bowl receivers, right?

Phft ... we never need to draft a receiver again. We can have Thompson and the scouting staff concentrate on DB's who can't cover the receivers we're not drafting.

I managed to turn that into a shining example of pretzel logic, eh?

H

HardRightEdge

I always enjoy reading posts that try to assert intellectual superiority based solely on the way a post to an Internet forum is written. I mean, who cares that the post could have been written quickly on a cell phone or under some other circumstance that doesn't allow for perfection. When posters spell things incorrectly and use poor grammer, we can ignore the point they're trying to make and feel really good about insulting someone! Hooray!

Now, to address the real point of this topic. Yeah, the idea should be to pay the guys that deserve it. I do think Jones will probably leave since he'd make a very good #2 WR somewhere like Cleveland or Detroit and with Boykin's maturation I don't think the Packers need him as much. Shields should be resigned and kept on the team, he's young and improving. Pickett also needs to be kept around, not for his long term outlook but just because we don't have anyone to replace him and he should come cheap. Bottom line, we do need to pay the guys that work hard and perform, unfortunately most of our free agents this year don't fall in that category.
Good point. McCarthy can barely put together a coherent sentence, "and things like that", but seems to know some things about football.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Megatron, as much as I hate to say it, really is on a whole list of his own from the others on the list.

Harvin can't stay on the field. He has #1 ability, sure, but I'll take a productive #2 on the field over a #1 sitting on the sidelines every week.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I hope they can keep Jones. His becoming a more reliable WR before last season wasn't luck. He willed himself to avoid drops and the results were spectacular. He's a great fit in Green Bay, but there's no way he's a number one WR in the NFL.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy/Cobb/Jones/Boykin/Draft pick would really be a fantastic receiving corps.

Keep in mind that Jordy and Cobb are both FA's after 2014. Keep Nelson or Raji? That's a no-brainer to me.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hate to say it but we may need to soon add Alshon Jeffrey to that list as well. That guy has been phenomenal for the Bears this year; I mean, you can't reliably tell which of their two receivers will be the #1 from game to game.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody, gets, one.

dude who gives a flip? i think only you do. If that is all you have to harp about no one wants to hear it and that's obvious.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts