Here's hoping that Collins is our starting safety

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The following article makes it sound promising for Collins. I think it's a good sign that the Ravens wanted to pick Collins two picks after the Packers picked him, because Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens have been given a lot of credit over the last few years for drafting good players.

For all the people that ripped the Collins pick, I hope Collins proves the naysayers wrong. I also hope Collins helps prove that TT has a good eye for talent despite what the "experts" said about TT drafting Collins too early.

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_21936843.shtml

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Collins has all the athletic skill, the question is does he have the intellect to pick up the defensive system. I remember reading many of the same comments about Torrence Marschall when we drafted him. He had speed, was a great hitter and was going to be the next great linebacker. The problem was he never knew where to be and therefore never got to use those instincts. Let's hope for Collins it's better.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we expect too much the first year with all our draft picks. It takes 3 years for most DB to be very productive. Neither Carroll or Thomas excelled last year but did contribute. This year they will be better. I expect 3 years from now to have a young and very good secondary.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
I think we expect too much the first year with all our draft picks. It takes 3 years for most DB to be very productive. Neither Carroll or Thomas excelled last year but did contribute. This year they will be better. I expect 3 years from now to have a young and very good secondary.
Same here - though he does have an advantage - I would think that Barnett would take him under his wing and mentor the guy a bit to help him get up to speed - this year's rookies on Defense have something not available lately... that's Jim Bates, a great Coordinator...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a nice surprise to have Collins be ready to start right away. If he can contribute right away and move in as a starter the last half of the year I would still be very happy. That would be more realistic IMO.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing a rookie starting back there, but only if the other starting safety is either Freeman or Little. It would be a similar set-up to when Sharper started out and having Butler back there also -- of course it's a huge drop-off from Butler to Freeman or Little.

There's no question that this defense will be making a lot of rookie mistakes, but the key is to make less mistakes than last year and keep improving as individuals and as a unit.

Right now we've got a ton of fast, young, talented, hungry players on defense. The key will be keeping them organized to work together and not forget their assignments. I'm sure we'll see a bunch of misdirection plays looking to take advantage of our inexperience.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I think we expect too much the first year with all our draft picks. It takes 3 years for most DB to be very productive."

I believe the 49ers once won the Super Bowl with either 2 or 3 rookie defensive backs. I can't remember if the third one was a rookie or second-year player. So, rookies can get the job done.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
"I think we expect too much the first year with all our draft picks. It takes 3 years for most DB to be very productive."

I believe the 49ers once won the Super Bowl with either 2 or 3 rookie defensive backs. I can't remember if the third one was a rookie or second-year player. So, rookies can get the job done.

Ronnie Lott, Eric Wright, and Carlton Williamson were all rookies in 1981 I think. They won the SB over Cincy.
Hammer

classicpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the intelligence thing....I don't remember any of the coaches saying that Torrence Marshall was picking up things very well during the mini camps. The Packers Safety Coach has said that Collins seems to be picking things up quite well.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Collins will win a starting spot eventually if not right away. He's already impressed the coaching staff with his ability to recognize alignments and he's picking things up nicely. He's an athletic freak and could be a real asset to this team sooner than later. If he struggles a little early, could it be any worse than Darren Sharper free-lancing out there getting caught out of position and not having the speed to make up for it?

Latest posts