Head Coach Matt LaFleur introductory press conference

H

HardRightEdge

Picking through the all the boilerplate yada yada, there were a few details I found interesting:
  • Murphy: The players leadership council emphasized to Murphy and Gutekunst the need for accoutability and that complacency had set in among some players and coaches. That's hardly shocking to me, but for anybody who thinks this was just about the McCarthy-Rodgers friction should think twice. By the way, that's the same leadership council that reportedly recommended Randall be cut (or traded one presumes) after his 2017 tantrum, an assessment McCarthy did not back up, at least not until the offseason.
  • LaFluer: He wants a ball hawking defense that creates turnovers, that plays fast and physical, and eliminates big plays. Anything else? ;)
  • Murphy: LeFleur reports to Murphy.
  • Murphy: He started to get a little choked up talking about Philbin like he had died. Can we take that to mean he's on the way out?
  • Murphy: He talked about getting old interview tapes of the candidates from the league office for comparison. In other words, "is this guy just telling me what he thinks I want to hear?" That's clever.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I thought Murphy was the GM?
Gute is the GM, Murphy is the President
What's in a title? Not much.

LaFleur reports to Murphy just as McCarthy had last season. It was clear before that Murphy was hands-on in negotiating Rodgers' contract. Murphy has assumed the position of final authority in major decisions involving the football operation. The reporting relationship suggests the coach will have a say in personnel with Murphy arbitrating any disagreements while Ball weighs in on the financial and cap consequences of major decisions.

So, until futher notice, it is probably best to think of Murphy as the uber-GM or, more precisely, like the managing partner of an ownership group, with Gutekunst performing most traditional GM functions but without absolute authority over personnel.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  • Murphy: He started to get a little choked up talking about Philbin like he had died. Can we take that to mean he's on the way out?
  • Murphy: He talked about getting old interview tapes of the candidates from the league office for comparison. In other words, "is this guy just telling me what he thinks I want to hear?" That's clever.
I dont see how Philbin would work at all. ML will be installing his new and innovative offense, but channel it through an old OC not familiar with it? That's like putting a new big turbo engine in an old model T. There is only so much speed the model T can handle.

I did like the tape review idea. I was surprised that the league got and kept those.

Thought it was interesting there was a selection committee comprised of quite a few people including the lady in charge of human resources.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
When Murphy mentioned that he liked how excited LaFleur was about the potential job and then contrasted that attitude with others, it was pretty clear he was taking a shot at Gase.

He said something like, "you just got fired and you're talking about other opportunities..." That seemed to be a pretty obvious telegraph of who he meant.

H

HardRightEdge

Thought it was interesting there was a selection committee comprised of quite a few people including the lady in charge of human resources.
"Committee" is a funny word. It can mean a lot of things.

If it wasn't evident from Murphy's comments at the start of this process, it should be now with this press conferance. Murphy was in complete control of this process. It's not like they all got in a room and voted on LaFleur.

It's probably best to think of this as a team assembled by Murphy with tasks assigned. The PR lady isn't going to opine on LaFluer's potential as a head coach relative to other candidates. Her involvement would be along the lines of investigating current head coach contracts across the league to assist in defining contract terms, factoring in experience and to what degree he'll have a say in personnel, getting to competitive and attractive without overpaying. It is a business, after all.

HR might also be charged with doing some snooping to see if there are any character issues behind the glossy veneer. Domesitic abuse, alcohol or drugs, financial troubles? HR does that stuff sometimes.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My one little knock on Murphy, in regards to something he said yesterday.....

Is there an irony to him talking about complacency and accountability when he was the one responsible for keeping TT past his prime? He decried that it was an organization problem and needs to change, so I hope his statement was made with some self reflection.

H

HardRightEdge

I dont see how Philbin would work at all. ML will be installing his new and innovative offense, but channel it through an old OC not familiar with it? That's like putting a new big turbo engine in an old model T. There is only so much speed the model T can handle.

I did like the tape review idea. I was surprised that the league got and kept those.

I believe the "new and innovative" is exagerated. What in the panoply of NFL play calls did McCarthy not have in his playbook and utilize at least occasionally? The only one I can think of is read option (hand off or QB keeper) and I can't see that happening with Rodgers. I think I even detected an RPO (hand off or pass decision post snap) or two this season, though certainly not on the Jones safety as one radio guy claimed. Other than certain kinds of gadget plays, like the "Philly special" or a wildcat with the QB split wide as I saw NO run, and the read option, we've seen it all. Spread concepts, power concepts, it was all in there.

On thing I see some pundits highlighting is LaFleur favoring 3-wide bunch sets. McCarthy ran a fair amount of those, from deep routes to goal line short shots to pick plays. Another LeFleur note is his favoring deep/under combinations. Everybody does that including McCarthy. I mean, how often do we hear bellyaching about Rodgers passing up the open under route even if they pick the wrong play to highlight it. ;) We've got another guy on this board saying LaFleur favors one-look timing routes. Well, how many times have we seen Rodgers throw those quick short money slants to Adams or make the quick sideline lob against single coverage? Often enough to know they existed. And does anybody think Rodgers is going to be operating in an offense with no progression routes like some rookie who never stood behind center and knows nothing but spread option? That's a little ludicrous.

So what should be the expected difference be, if there really isn't much new under the sun: Improved insight, adaptabillity and flexibility, we hope, which will manifest themselves in different emphases, better execution and better decision making, the pieces being:

1) Accurate talent assessment--what each player can and can't do which probably extends to who stays and who goes to one degree or another
2) Emphasis in play design and play calling to maximize talents and minimize deficiencies
3) Game planning, which includes adjustments based on player unavailabilty and exploiting matchups against opponents' injury replacements
4) A quick mind that cam make adjustments and counter-adjustments on the fly mid-game, whether that is ditching stuff that isn't working to adjusting to the defense doing unexpected things
5) And then moment of truth when all of the above flow down to the spout of the funnel in the moment: The play call that optimizes the chance of success in that situation.

Murphy specifically highlighted LaFleur's successful adaptability. He was doing one thing with a pass orientation to start in Tennesse, morphing to a power run game with Henry/Gabbert as Mariota's elbow issue became intollerable. So, what is the "LaFleur offense"? Quick throw/deep throw or power run? What I would hope and expect is nothing that fits neatly into some prior model. I expect it to be whatever LaFluer thinks will work with the Packer personnel, not some template from the past. The idea that LaFluer is going to tell Rodgers to color within some tighly drawn lines is ludicrous. It better be a partnership or this thing is going to flounder.

Now, being a self-proclaimed detailed-oriented guy, which we have no reason doubt, LaFleur may, for example, have a different idea than McCarthy about how a particular route combination should be run, where he might coach to different cues from the defensive positioning. That goes to insight. It will probably be transparent unless one takes a deep dive into tape comparisons. It will be judged by vague impressions but mostly by the results. And if that's a 3 wide bunch and it works, then it will be run more often.

As for the more "boring" consideration of the run blocking scheme, Tennessee ran primarily zone blocking with some gap blocking, so there's not likely to be much change. Again, important specific details in execution that will be hard to detect may be implemented, and the degree may depend on whether Campen is retained. In any case, except for the occasional muddle or blown block, there's not much to complain about in the run blocking or the Jones/Williams combo's execution. Again, outsiders identification of change will be vauge with results being the measuring stick.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Picking through the all the boilerplate yada yada, there were a few details I found interesting:
  • Murphy: The players leadership council emphasized to Murphy and Gutekunst the need for accoutability and that complacency had set in among some players and coaches. That's hardly shocking to me, but for anybody who thinks this was just about the McCarthy-Rodgers friction should think twice. By the way, that's the same leadership council that reportedly recommended Randall be cut (or traded one presumes) after his 2017 tantrum, an assessment McCarthy did not back up, at least not until the offseason.
  • LaFluer: He wants a ball hawking defense that creates turnovers, that plays fast and physical, and eliminates big plays. Anything else? ;)
  • Murphy: LeFleur reports to Murphy.

I wondered about that. Does that mean all interviews are taped and available to every team if they want them. Are there now 10 more interviews (from the Packers HC search) available for any team to look at? I find that hard to believe. I wonder what these interviews are. He said old interview tapes not old job interview tapes.

On the other hand, though I have never heard it put like this, these guys are not just interviewing for a job with a particular team they are interviewing for a job with the NFL so maybe its another way for the NFL to keep the playing field level, like revenue sharing.

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder what these interviews are. He said old interview tapes not old job interview tapes.
I did find it a little surprising those interview tapes were available, I guess to any FO scheduling an interview. If they didn't come from job interviews I can't think of what other kinds of interviews there would have been. Like the league calling guys in for mock interviews for teams' future reference? That strikes me as too goofy even for the NFL.

There are other areas of pooled cooperation beyond revenue sharing and the Combine that may surprise the more causual fan. Here a couple that immediately come to mind:
  • When owners build new stadiums they are frequently financed in part by "the league". The league is a pass-through entity that collects and distributes revenue. It doen's have its own money to lend. What that means is the other owners are indirectly lending money to that owner or backing a loan from a third party to that other owner.
  • I don't think it is widely known that teams cooperate in scouting through BLESTO and The National scouting services. These services go back decades but finding info on how they work is hard to find. The following link provides a brief description from 2015. I assume they still exist, but the info is so sketchy I couldn't say. With all the small colleges out there, the Canadian league, the indoor leagues, no one scouting team can cover all of them; I surmise these cooperative efforts focus on finding possible diamonds in the rough.
https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2015/07/what-is-national-and-blesto-scouting-services/

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did find it a little surprising those interview tapes were available, I guess to any FO scheduling an interview. If they didn't come from job interviews I can't think of what other kinds of interviews there would have been. Like the league calling guys in for mock interviews for teams' future reference? That strikes me as too goofy even for the NFL.

Yeah, I just think that there must be some fairly confidential or at least team restricted stuff discussed in these interviews that wouldn't be in any teams best interest to be made available like that. Maybe they are edited to remove sensitive stuff?

They have random drug tests for players maybe random interviews for potential coaches is part of their double secret... well double secret something, I had to get an Animal House reference in there for some reason.

Reaction score
My personal first impression; He brings a newness to this team that is refreshing. I like he’s emotional. We need emotional. We don’t need a sweet talker, we need a guy that’s going to get to work and a guy that wants to be the best. He has s record of being competitive and I’ll take a competitive personality over a sweet talker any day twice on Sunday (that just happen to fit!)

He’s the type of guy that will take losing personal. I like that. He’s not a complacent type personality. He’s eager to learn, eager to work and eager to prove himself worthy.

I think his age is a plus. Some see if as a negative. I don’t. I think he’ll relate better to players one on one because he understands them better.

Millennials are a different breed. They value their time off more than $. It’s a different world than when Terry Bradshaw was tossing the ball. Coaches can’t ignore that.
You have to understand your audience to speak to them on a level they not only understand, but on a level they trust you. If you gain their trust, you gain their heart and soul. Sports are still about how bad you want it and I can give you dozens of examples of above average athletes that played exceptional because they loved and respected or where inspired by their coach. The obvious one was right here in GB. We have to get that back. That’s more important than any 1st round draft pick. I’m not saying you have to fraternize with them either. There’s a fine line. MM didn’t capture that type of respect IMO. I believe had MM been able to do that, we’d be talking about him, not Bill Belichik. MM was a decent coach but he fell into an ideal situation. He didn’t elevate his surroundings so to speak.

This kid fell into a gold mine. But the one thing that makes him likeable is he 100% knows it. His biggest challenge will be surrounding himself with quality field generals.

Last edited:

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Millennial? MLF isn't *that* young.

Technically millenials were born between 1981-1996, so no he's not a millennial, but he's a lot closer than some 65 year old. I find it funny that the age gap is that wide. Kids born in the 80's grew up in a very different time than 90's kids.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, some people are just not good at public speaking...you know.
I know, I'm not the most eloquent speaker at times myself, and I am an instructor for a living. there are times when it sounds like i forgot to put my teeth in in the morning(bit of a scottish saying for someone getting a bit tongue-tied whilst speaking

Or his way of snacking his mouth?

didn't notice that one

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know, I'm not the most eloquent speaker at times myself, and I am an instructor for a living. there are times when it sounds like i forgot to put my teeth in in the morning(bit of a scottish saying for someone getting a bit tongue-tied whilst speaking

didn't notice that one

One weird thing I noticed about him, it's how easy it is to read his lips. If you watch his press conference and leave the volume off, you basically can read his lips and know exactly what he's saying.. Not sure if looking too much into it, but you know the other teams are looking for any edge and could have people read his lips when calling plays if he doesn't cover his mouth

Members online

Latest posts