Head Coach Matt LaFleur introductory press conference

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Listening to Murphy talk makes me dislike him the longer his mouth is open. I’d much rather see the GM doing the talking rather than Murphy.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As evident by this interview Murphy really commands the mic, for better or worse. Gute has taken second fiddle during this coaching search. I'm hoping he steps back and lets Gute do his thing now that the direction is set.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My "takes"
  • Interviewers were Murphy, Gute and Russ Ball....interesting on Ball.
  • Rodgers was involved with search committee and privately talked to ML and seems to be all on board with the hire.
  • ML's slogan "Lead, Teach and Inspire"
  • quiet confidence is impressive.
  • family man.
  • clear cut favorite among all interviewed.
  • made the move from Rams to Titans to challenge himself and grow as a coach.
  • Reminds me a bit of Aaron Rodgers.
  • wants to be "real and honest" to his players.

Last edited:

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As evident by this interview Murphy really commands the mic, for better or worse. Gute has taken second fiddle during this coaching search. I'm hoping he steps back and lets Gute do his thing now that the direction is set.

Yeah I'm not sure if Gute doesn't like speaking or what but MM definitely likes to do the talking.

I don't fault him for it but LaFleur definitely comes off a bit nervous. I'm still beyond excited we got him!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very nervous but understandable.

Murphy is also a clown.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I like that he doesn't seem to be trying to baffle us with BS either. pretty straightforward and it all comes down to players, and getting them ready with hard work from coaches and players.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree w/ posters above, LaFleur does seem nervous/excited. Typically they will outline their staff to the brass during those interviews, a little surprising he is not announcing staffing moves.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very nervous but understandable.

Murphy is also a clown.
Fairly obvious that Gute and MF are uncomfortable. Murphy is stepping up and releiving the pressure. MF is getting more comfortable every question.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fairly obvious that Gute and MF are uncomfortable. Murphy is stepping up and releiving the pressure. MF is getting more comfortable every question.

I actually like the "roll" that Gute played today and when he has needed to be "the guy" in front of the mic, he does well. But today Murphy was the guy with the mic and chosen to tell the story of what brought MF to Green Bay.

I kind of want to see if I can find TT's Presser introducing MM to compare them.

and here it is.....wow he was young! LOL'ing at the subtitles LOL

https://www.packers.com/video/packers-name-mike-mccarthy-head-coach

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the whole press conference. Murphy was long winded,but had some good comedy relief in the end. Towards the end of the press conference I came away very impressed with LaFleur. I think he will do great. And IMO Gute is a badass. Doesn’t like to talk much,gets to the point and wants to give LaFleur talent to win

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not commited about Pettine. Interesting.

Rodell, I thought that was the main point why McDaniels is not the new HC of the Packers. Your theory gets worse day by day. By the way, according to both Gute and Murphy, McDaniels also wasn't impressive in his interview.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I've read, I liked what i've heard. I'm excited to see what he does. I'm not expecting perfection out of the gate, but I think with some time and some players things will be ok.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LaFleur seemed very calm, smart, especially a bit later, when he was not as nervous anymore. I'm very positive with this hire. Loved the ******** comment from Murphy!

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t know what prior to interviewing you, they can watch your prior interviews you’ve given for other coaching positions. Holy, that’s intense. You’d better be consistent and truthful

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not commited about Pettine. Interesting.

Rodell, I thought that was the main point why McDaniels is not the new HC of the Packers. Your theory gets worse day by day. By the way, according to both Gute and Murphy, McDaniels also wasn't impressive in his interview.
Do you think it's possible that McDaniels thought the interview was good?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything ive seen and heard, including from Murphy today is they think LaFleur won’t accept complacency, he will hold players & coaches accountable, and coach the hell/challenge Aaron Rodgers. Murphy essentially said as much today when he was asked what the players were looking for, and former players of Lafleur has said the same. I’m excited.

Members online

Latest posts