Have you seen them?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that Bulaga is more important to our overall success for the year; I think 'What Bostick brings to the passing game may be important also. Playing against the lions, wh0 are weak in the secondary and strong on the D line, I see no reason to rush Bostick back in. We are going to score and somewhere (especially Sherrod) we are going to need extra blocking help from the tight end. Not really Bostick's forte so let him rest another game, ease him in a little more on special teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that Bulaga is more important to our overall success for the year; I think 'What Bostick brings to the passing game may be important also. Playing against the lions, wh0 are weak in the secondary and strong on the D line, I see no reason to rush Bostick back in. We are going to score and somewhere (especially Sherrod) we are going to need extra blocking help from the tight end. Not really Bostick's forte so let him rest another game, ease him in a little more on special teams.

A pass-catching TE could help slow down their pass rush as well.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want this team to play to win......and the double TE/extra protection screams playing not to lose. Sherrod is going to have to sink or swim if he is out there. I don't like changing the entire plan to compensate for him. I would rather if anything let the TE's chip and go out for a pass and have the RB and or FB protect Rodgers if he needs it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I want this team to play to win......and the double TE/extra protection screams playing not to lose. Sherrod is going to have to sink or swim if he is out there. I don't like changing the entire plan to compensate for him. I would rather if anything let the TE's chip and go out for a pass and have the RB and or FB protect Rodgers if he needs it.

I'd rather have somebody else helping Sherrod out if he can't protect Rodgers than getting 12 killed.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You don't like "double TE/extra protection" but suggest the TE chips to help Sherrod and have the RB or FB stay in to block. That sounds a lot like "extra protection". If they prefer Lacy catching the ball it makes a lot more sense just to have the TE stay in to block. Writing Sherrod is gonna have to sink or swim misses the obvious point: If he sinks so may Rodgers. Playing extra protection isn't playing not to lose, it's an obvious tactic intended to keep Rodgers upright for the entire season. Not doing so would be incredibly stupid IMO.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying I want Rodgers to get killed because of Sherrod but let him give it a try on his own and have the RB there to help if needed. When you put the TE there he is helping already when Sherrod might be able to hand the guy on that given defensive play call and play. Now whomever would normally cover that TE in coverage can stay in the box and create trouble elsewhere. If its only a 3 or 4 man rush and its handled then the RB can slip through for a dump off pass. This goal line looking package is has a low ceiling and a low floor IMO. I think they can be a little more creative and have a little more faith in the blocking...this would also help if they had some quick hitters and rodgers could get the ball out before trouble can even get started.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
In our offense if the TE runs the right route and catches the ball he is sufficient.
I am not saying I want Rodgers to get killed because of Sherrod but let him give it a try on his own and have the RB there to help if needed. When you put the TE there he is helping already when Sherrod might be able to hand the guy on that given defensive play call and play. Now whomever would normally cover that TE in coverage can stay in the box and create trouble elsewhere. If its only a 3 or 4 man rush and its handled then the RB can slip through for a dump off pass. This goal line looking package is has a low ceiling and a low floor IMO. I think they can be a little more creative and have a little more faith in the blocking...this would also help if they had some quick hitters and rodgers could get the ball out before trouble can even get started.

They did let him "give it a try" and he got blown by. If you watch the Seattle tape the minute Bulaga got hurt it was a problem. Averil and Bennett blew by him. McCarthy tried to come out against Jets and let Sherrod "handle his own" and mid-way through first it was obvious he was having problems, thus the heavy protection plays then being called.

People on here bring up trade talk for a TE which I think is just ridiculous. If there is a trade to be made it should be for some insurance on the offensive line. Sherrod may improve but at this point there is no indication that he can "hold his own" at either tackle spot.

Last edited:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Double TE extra protection is so we don't have a repeat of last season. I expect that with our two rookies having another full week they will be able to start letting the TE's be receivers. We'll know Sunday.

Last edited:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Bulaga's repeated injuries, Barlcay's injury history now, and Sherrod's failures will likely make OT a priority in the offseason. I think that's a good spot to bring in a veteran for cheap because we kind of need a decent guy now at backup OT, but I don't think we would want to use a high pick on one as Bulaga and Bakhtiari are 2 good OT's (unless we want to move on from Bulaga). It will be interesting to see what happens there.
Kinda like we did with with Jeff Saturday? that worked well. You don't find good OT free agents this time of year, if they were good they wouldn't still be out there and you just can't bring an OT off the street and expect him to be productive. Be patient, give the line a couple of weeks to gel. Sherrod played pretty good last week and this week he will have another full week with the 1st team.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts