Have we solved at least one tackle issue?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about having Newhouse in at LT? i just don't agree with him staying there. Also the ideal of moving Bulaga to LG is more logical imo as he did struggle at RT throughout the year. As far as Sherrod that's the biggest question mark to me. Nobody knows ho good he can be if he got a shot a LT. As a former 1st round pick he deserves a shot at LT.

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue is what are the coaches seeing at RT? Rodgers is blasted from there all season. Then they finally discover Barclay who they've been looking at since Summer and give him a try and he's the best we have there. So, WHO is developing this O-line? No one. At least until so many fans and writers point out that they are about to waste the best QB in football. Consider this: Rodgers never has a pocket. Brady almost always has a pocket. Then imagine Rodgers with the confidence and time of Brady. Ask yourselves how teams like the Patriots and Giants always same to be able to throw good O-lines together? Then wonder why James Campen, who has never had a decent O-line, is still there?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Center is easily one of the most underated positions of football. They are like the QB of the OL, a lot of film watching and studying is needed to be good at this postition.

Which is why, while I think it would be "good," I put all kinds of disclaimers around it. It would completely hinge on Lang getting the mental part down and being able to shotgun snap. Maybe he's terrible at it.

The most, most likely outcome in my mind is drafting the new center and keeping Sitton and Lang back where they belong. At tackle, it gets more interesting, if for no other reason than we have lots of depth. Right now, without a draft pick, we bring the following to camp at tackle:

Newhouse
Bulaga
Barclay
Sherrod
Datko

Assuming all are healthy, at least one good play is going to get cut from that group alone.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about having Newhouse in at LT? i just don't agree with him staying there. Also the ideal of moving Bulaga to LG is more logical imo as he did struggle at RT throughout the year. As far as Sherrod that's the biggest question mark to me. Nobody knows ho good he can be if he got a shot a LT. As a former 1st round pick he deserves a shot at LT.

I know you're not a fan of Newhouse, but he's done okay this year. Could we upgrade him? Sure, but until we're stacked from top to bottom, upgrading an "okay" instead of a "weakness" (center. sorry Saturday, you got old) is a poor value proposition.

As far as Bulaga struggling, I withhold judgement until next year. Rookie year, he looked like a rookie. 2011, he was borderline All-Pro. PFF had him rated the 8th best tackle period, 4th best right tackle. 2012, he regressed. If he was hurt, he'll get healthy and in theory return to 2011 form. Put another way, which is the anomaly: 2011 or 2012? I think 2012, but we'll see.

Finally Sherrod. He doesn't deserve squat. No one does. If he's up to the task, he'll force the staff to start him with his play in training camp. Unless something weird happens (injury to Newhouse, Cleveland clones Joe Thomas and gives him to us) I expect Newhouse to begin camp as the starter again.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Center is easily one of the most underated positions of football. They are like the QB of the OL, a lot of film watching and studying is needed to be good at this postition.

Exactly, which is why I think we should be dedicating our 1st or 2nd round pick to a top center prospect. It is far more important than a top DL or WR. Yes, those are needs, along with a TE and RB and possibly also an ILB, but can you imagine how much better we would be with a strong OL? How much better ROdgers would be if he could feel comfortable in the pocket and have the time to check off receivers instead to dumping it off to Cobb immediately? Or what it would mean for Alex Green or DeJuan Harris to have some real holes to run through?

Plugging Lang or EDS into the center position does not make for a top OL, and the fact of the matter is, as so many have pointed out, that one of biggest, if not the biggest weakness of the Packers is their OL. A stud OC would do wonders for this team.

If we do not draft a top center next year I will have to seriously question the drafting wisdom of TT and MM.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we do not draft a top center next year I will have to seriously question the drafting wisdom of TT and MM.

I agree a good center would be a huge help to our team. If, however, the top 3 centers go before we pick (unlikely, but possible), wasting our 1st or 2nd would be foolish.

If there is one worth picking when we're on the clock OR we could move up slightly that doesn't mortgage the future (IE, I wouldn't give up a 1 and 2) to snag one we're in love with, I'm ALL for that.

Just because we have an obvious need doesn't mean what we need will be available.

12theTruth

I am still in a bit of a shock at all the yards gained on the ground the last two weeks. Still scary in pass protection though, especially against NFL's most formidable front sevens. Barclay has looked good but it is only 2 games. Let's see how this unit does against the Hawks, Giants, 9ers in the playoffs.

That said, it is remarkable how the unit has weathered the storm and solidified in recent weeks. Adversity brings this team closer together unlike our neighbors to the Northeast.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously hoping Barclay remains at RT this season, and Lang back to LG. Lang was dressed and warming up last Sunday, so I'm expecting him to be back. I'm actually of the opinion that EDS might as well move to C for Saturday right now; I think Newhouse - Lang - EDS - Sitton - Barclay is our best unit at this point.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Little known fact is that Van Roten has been practicing at center and may be the future there.

The big disappointments this year IMO have been Saturday & Bulaga. Bulaga was playing poorly prior to his injury, he had a bad year (and that is in spite of McCarthy's prediction before the season that Bulaga was destined for a big year, taking the "next step" or whatever...instead he got worse. Go figure.) Saturday has been a decent bandaid, but, they're gonna have to tear off the bandaid and upgrade at C next year.

I wouldn't be suprised, if Sherrod gets healthy, that Bulaga finds himself fourth on the depth chart at T in 2013. Bulaga just isn't showing improvement despite starting for almost three years.

Perhaps the 2013 line will look like this:

Newhouse/Sherrod
Lang
Van Roten/EDS
Sitton
Barclay/Bulaga

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts