Have we solved at least one tackle issue?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Barclay held up great against the Lions and looked good run blocking. I think that when Bulaga comes back it won't be as the starting right tackle which leaves me to ponder that maybe he moves over to LG? alot of scenarios in my head as Sherrod is still a mystery and will he be healthy enough to ever be a good tackle in this league? Who knows maybe Barclay is good enough to be the answer at LT? Maybe the future o-line looks like this.

LT Barclay
LG Bulaga
C EDS
RG Sitton
RT Sherrod

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Whoa....now, dont get ahead of yourself. How do we know he has the skillz to play LT? And with the bone head calls that the higher ups make, he will be a 2nd stringer at best. Besides, he still has more to prove. I agree he has done great stepping in, but it's to early to tell if he is "the man" at his job. Bears game will test him indeed.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa....now, dont get ahead of yourself. How do we know he has the skillz to play LT? And with the bone head calls that the higher ups make, he will be a 2nd stringer at best. Besides, he still has more to prove. I agree he has done great stepping in, but it's to early to tell if he is "the man" at his job. Bears game will test him indeed.

Just a scenario, of course we need to see him play more but he is a better RT than Lang or Bulaga up to this point.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Barclay held up great against the Lions and looked good run blocking. I think that when Bulaga comes back it won't be as the starting right tackle which leaves me to ponder that maybe he moves over to LG? alot of scenarios in my head as Sherrod is still a mystery and will he be healthy enough to ever be a good tackle in this league? Who knows maybe Barclay is good enough to be the answer at LT? Maybe the future o-line looks like this.

LT Barclay
LG Bulaga
C EDS
RG Sitton
RT Sherrod

If anything it would be Bulaga going to LT, and Barclay going to RT if he ended up being "the man". And just no to EDS being a starter.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If anything it would be Bulaga going to LT, and Barclay going to RT if he ended up being "the man". And just no to EDS being a starter.

LMAO....bulaga at LT....lol. He got worked like a $2 hooker at RT. If you think newhouse is bad (which he is, I don't give two sh!ts what anyone else says about him, he sucks donkey), bulaga wont be an improvement at LT, not with the way he played at RT.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe. But EDS at center? No, we need a better center than that. Barrett Jones or Jonathan Cooper in Rnd 2. EDS as backup.

i actually think EDS could hold up at Center, but i wouldn't mind seeing us take Cooper or Jones in the second however we need to upgrade the d-line and i just don't see TT taking a Center in the second round if theres a stud WR or Tight end sitting there.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO....bulaga at LT....lol. He got worked like a $2 hooker at RT. If you think newhouse is bad (which he is, I don't give two sh!ts what anyone else says about him, he sucks donkey), bulaga wont be an improvement at LT, not with the way he played at RT.

That's what i was thinking. I think Bulaga is better suited to play guard as he's not as quick on his feet as i'd like a tackle to be and he has short arms.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is Jake long will hit the market next year. He's coming off injury in know, however he's still a fairly young guy and was regarded as the best LT in the league by alot of talking heads. Could we make room for him in the budget? we need a franchise LT.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Barclay is good enough that I hope when Lang comes back they put Lang back at LG and leave Barclay at RT. But that's it. Was there a play or two that showed he has the feet for LT? I didn't see it but I'd like to know so I can go back and take a look. But at this point I don't see him at LT or even close to the Bulaga of the last couple of years at RT, particularly pass blocking. (That's not a knock - he's an UDFA in his rookie year.) We'll see next year which is the aberration for Bulaga - the way he played before being IR'd this season or his previous play. If he's back to playing as he did previously, he's as locked into RT as Sitton is at RG IMO.

It will be interesting next season to see what they do at OT. Sherrod is a huge question mark but they may reasonably conclude that Newhouse is good enough at LT. And I think there was a mention in a "notes" column last week that Datko has looked better in practice but needs to add strength. So how aggressive will Thompson and staff be going after another OT? They may think they have it pretty well covered with Bulaga, Newhouse, Sherrod, Barclay, and Datko. BTW, no matter how comfortable they may be with Hyphen as the OC of the future, I hope Thompson goes after one aggressively in the next draft.

BTW, Greg Van Roten was in quite a bit as a lead blocker when they used the "reverse wishbone" formation. It'll be interesting to go back and see how effective he was (and can he catch the ball??!! ;)).

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I think your reconfigured line is crazy, but if you're going to do it that way, at least keep Barclay at RT. Sherrod is a rather poor run blocker. About on par with Newhouse. Keep your power strong-side, at least.

I don't think Bulaga is going to give up his position so easily. He played poorly this year, but he was possibly the best right tackle in football in 2011. It was brought up that he had tendonitis in a knee. Assuming getting shutdown for the year gives him the necessary rest, I expect him to be much, much closer to 2011 for than 2012.

On the flip-side, I'm not ready to proclaim Sherrod a starter anywhere. Yes, he has pedigree, but he isn't an upgrade over Newhouse now. Newhouse has gotten better each year. PFF still thinks very highly of him in pass-protection. I'm willing to let him stay at LT for now. If Sherrod beats him fair AND comes back healthy, that's one thing. He hasn't played in a very long time. He had flaws. He hasn't had time to fix them. He'll basically be a 3rd year rookie next year.

Now, assuming Barclay beats his way through the season and is one of the 5 best linemen next year, then yes, start him at RT. Sitton and Lang have been our best linemen this year without question at LG and RG. Ideally, we keep them there. Each of them makes the guys next to them look better.

But what do we do with Bulaga then? I'd be curious if Lang or Sitton could play center. It's not a given, as the skillset is kind of unique. Assuming both could do it, I'd be happy with Bulaga, Lang, Sitton at LG, C, RG.

If that doesn't work, by all means have open season at LT. Sherrod, Bulaga, and Newhouse compete for the starting job.

Option 1 (craziest) :
LT: Newhouse/Sherrod
LG: Bulaga
C: Land
RG: Sitton
RT: Barlcay

Option 2 (Mostly likely shuffle line) :
LT: Newhouse/Bulaga/Sherrod
LG: Lang
C: Rookie/EDS

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga looked awful at the beginning of the season but as the season went on he started to look better, not 2011 level but still respectable. He was all the rage just a year ago and in pre-season if he is not starting at RT next year I think it would be a mistake. I would like to see Sherrod battle with Newhouse next pre-season for the starting LT spot. Barclay can remain a backup next season IMO. Remember last year when Newhouse came in for Clifton and his first 2 games he was all the rage, most people on the boards were already claiming LT of the future and when Clifton came back Clifton would have to earn his spot back. Do not jump too quickly on Barclay. I need more than 2 games to declare our RT of the future.

A center needs to be drafted who can replace Saturday/EDS by the end of next season

H

HardRightEdge

BTW, Greg Van Roten was in quite a bit as a lead blocker when they used the "reverse wishbone" formation. It'll be interesting to go back and see how effective he was (and can he catch the ball??!! ;)).

According to ESPN's play-by-pay, GVR reported as eligible for 3 plays...Green ran right for 2 yards and then 9 yards out of the "bone"...I seem to recall Green ran behind GVR both times. The third snap was in a subsequent possession...it was a 1st. and 10 play action deep ball down the middle to Jennings that went incomplete...I think that was the one where he was triple teamed. A classic run-to-set-up-the-pass sequence. I can't judge GVR's H-back potential, though I'd be skeptical. :(;)

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would leave Barclay at RT. They found a formula that works. The question of what to do with Bulaga when he comes back is a good one but for now Barclay works as RT. I would leave Sitton and Saturday where they are. It's kind of late in the season to be playing musical chairs with guards and tackles. I think we are at the point in the season where whatever works is it whoever that may be. I liked what I saw last night for the first time in a long time I had something positive to say about the O-Line.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

LT Sherrod
LG Lang
C Barclay
RG Sitton
RT Bulaga
Fixed. But should still draft C. Barclay only got limited snaps at C in OTA's

There was also talk of Lang at C. Barclay is OG/RT and will probably always need help when on RT. Definitely does not have the skills for LT.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Barclay has been in there the Packers have looked much better running to the right. We can really get into a groove running it that way with Sitton and Barclay, our best run blockers on that side. I also like mradtke's scenario on our line next year.

LT: Newhouse/Sherrod
LG: Bulaga
C: Lang

Without any additions in the offense and minus Saturday (Heck, even with him!) this lineup would allow us to have our best 5 on the field at all times. I like Newhouse and Sherrod battling it out for that LT job too as competition would bring the best out of both of them, espeacially one of them. The only question would be if Lang could learn the Center job and get on the same page with Aaron quick enough. Also a good mixture of run and pass blocking guys.

Reaction score
I loved that Barclay didn't back down from Suh .... he took him on in the run game - I liked that the oline stepped up and quit looking like wimps for once this season .... now if they could man up when pass blocking - we'd be back to slicing and dicing fools.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Lang never played center. Center is a skill position.
Not in college, but the Packers did consider him an option at the spot because of his work ethic. This was documented by Vic Ketchman either this offseason or last offseason (I forget which)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we can just plug Lang in at center. He belongs at guard. We will draft a center next year, I think.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't think we can just plug Lang in at center. He belongs at guard. We will draft a center next year, I think.
Plug no, develop certainly. I didn't mean to imply that we SHOULD play Lang at Center, but rather that I would prefer to see him over EDS because IMO he is a better player. Draft>Lang>EDS

BTW I always thought Newhouse was at best a back-up

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lang never played center. Center is a skill position.
Center is easily one of the most underated positions of football. They are like the QB of the OL, a lot of film watching and studying is needed to be good at this postition.

Members online

Latest posts