Has Adams overtaken Jordy as our #1 receiver? Where does Cobb fit?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now to take a break from AR, TT and MM threads clogging up the forum...

Is Davante Adams now the #1 go to receiver in our team?
  • Rodgers also told Larry McCarren earlier in the year that the team was making Adams the first read in their passing progressions more and more because they saw him emerging as a big-play threat
  • Vikings had their primary CB, Xavier Rhodes on Adams for most of the game last sunday.
  • Even in Red Zone he seems to be up there along with Jordy as ARs primary targets.
Statistically in 2017:
  • Adams - 28 receptions for 339 yards | 5 TDs
  • Jordy - 25 receptions for 290 yards | 6 TDs
On the flip side, Davante is susceptible in man to man coverage does not have the speed of Jordy to break away from the defenders. Here's where Cobb has a distinct advantage, his stunning pace.

40 yard dash speed for comparison:
  • Julio Jones - 4.39
  • Odell Beckham - 4.43
  • Cobb - 4.46
  • Jordy - 4.51
  • Dez Bryant - 4.52
  • Adams - 4.56
  • Geronimo - 4.67
Now imo the way we should set up for the future should be something like:
  • Cobb for the vertical defence stretching (ideally take over from Jordy) opening the field
  • Adams using the space opened by Cobb to make his plays.
  • Allison as #3 impact options for 3 receiver set plays.
  • TyM for backfield options (that we see Cobb in currently)

Opinions?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything is going to change with a new QB, his tendencies, how he reads and how he's protected. Eventually Jordy is going to fall off and Adams is going to continue to progress. If we're looking at bell curves of careers I see Jordy just on the back end of his peak, but not really sliding down yet and Adams still ascending but not yet to his peak either. I don't think Adams is the guy you use for long developing plays where he goes deep and gets behind a defense. he's the guy that can run any route and then beat the guy with his quickness. Whether that's stopping on a dime for a back shoulder, out leaping a defender, or shaking him in one step off the line or 8 yards downfield, he is so quick out of that first step he beats his man and makes the separation. He's not going to outrun a guy for 70 yards most times, but he can beat anyone to create space to complete the pass, short or deeper.

We'll find out what connections Hundley makes with his WR's because they all have their preferences in certain situations.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything is going to change with a new QB, his tendencies, how he reads and how he's protected. Eventually Jordy is going to fall off and Adams is going to continue to progress. If we're looking at bell curves of careers I see Jordy just on the back end of his peak, but not really sliding down yet and Adams still ascending but not yet to his peak either. I don't think Adams is the guy you use for long developing plays where he goes deep and gets behind a defense. he's the guy that can run any route and then beat the guy with his quickness. Whether that's stopping on a dime for a back shoulder, out leaping a defender, or shaking him in one step off the line or 8 yards downfield, he is so quick out of that first step he beats his man and makes the separation. He's not going to outrun a guy for 70 yards most times, but he can beat anyone to create space to complete the pass, short or deeper.

We'll find out what connections Hundley makes with his WR's because they all have their preferences in certain situations.

The thread was more on when AR gets back!

However you make a valid point. I think Hundley will look for quick throws and Adams first step separation will be a huge asset in snap throws.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't think so but if he has it's as it should be. younger guys develop and take over. that's the way it's supposed to go. as for cobb nothing's changed. he's still the third guy and a very important part of the O.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

• Rodgers also told Larry McCarren earlier in the year that the team was making Adams the first read in their passing progressions more and more because they saw him emerging as a big-play threat
  • Vikings had their primary CB, Xavier Rhodes on Adams for most of the game last sunday.
  • Even in Red Zone he seems to be up there along with Jordy as ARs primary targets.
Statistically in 2017:
On the flip side, Davante is susceptible in man to man coverage does not have the speed of Jordy to break away from the defenders. Here's where Cobb has a distinct advantage, his stunning pace.

• Julio Jones - 4.39
  • Odell Beckham - 4.43
  • Cobb - 4.46
  • Jordy - 4.51
  • Dez Bryant - 4.52
  • Adams - 4.56
  • Geronimo - 4.67
  • Cobb for the vertical defence stretching (ideally take over from Jordy) opening the field

Opinions?

My opinion differs from yours in a number of areas.

However, I do agree that Adams is overtaking Nelson as the #1 option (though I don't think there will be a huge distinction).

I think Adams is our best receiver against man coverage. His long speed is merely adequate, but he separates very well with quickness and route running. I realize that Nelson was a little faster at the combine, but to my eye he has clearly dropped behind Adams in that regard.

I do not see Cobb as much of a deep threat anymore. I believe that injuries have robbed him of some of his speed, which wasn't elite to begin with. He hasn't been a field stretcher in some time. Even at his peak, he was more of a YAC player than a deep ball guy.

I don't expect the Packers to have Nelson or Cobb past 2019. I believe they need to extend Adams and begin acquiring options for the future this next offseason. If Allison proves worthy of being a #2 or #3, that's great. But I think they'll need to find one more guy via the draft. Hopefully that player will bring some much needed speed to the position. Unless Davis emerges as a factor on offense, they don't really have that element on the team.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Statistically in 2017:

• Julio Jones - 4.39
  • Odell Beckham - 4.43
  • Cobb - 4.46
  • Jordy - 4.51
  • Dez Bryant - 4.52
  • Adams - 4.56
  • Geronimo - 4.67

Opinions?

Very good evaluation...

My two cents.. Cobb is gone after this season. We will need to draft that prime time receiver (as I have mentioned in another thread at one point in time)... Allison I do not think is the guy, could take over for the slot where Cobb was. I am talking about a big receiver that could be the big down the field threat when Jordy eventually departs.. I would look at GB taking a WR (although not liked by most posters here) in the 2nd round, where other areas need to be solidified, a big WR ala Julio Jones would be what AR needs on the back end of his career.

Thoughts, or maybe I am just spitting, either way, good evaluation of our WR....

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see Cobb as much of a deep threat anymore.

Potentially because of the way we are using him and Jordy being productive, plus his niggling injuries last season. In right setup, he'll be good. And his pace is just below elite level and far more than any other WRs in our team have.

I don't expect the Packers to have Nelson or Cobb past 2019.
Cobb is gone after this season.

I can see the $ reasons for this, but imo that would be a mistake. We're going to end up watching him light up the field with some other team. Cobb/Adams is highly functional duo and I doubt high draft picks would make it any more better.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Potentially because of the way we are using him and Jordy being productive, plus his niggling injuries last season. In right setup, he'll be good. And his pace is just below elite level and far more than any other WRs in our team have.

I can see the $ reasons for this, but imo that would be a mistake. We're going to end up watching him light up the field with some other team. Cobb/Adams is highly functional duo and I doubt high draft picks would make it any more better.

By pace you mean long speed? I don't see it. His forty was in about the 70th% coming out of college. Size adjusted, it's about average. And I think he's lost some since then. He ceased to be an explosive playmaker about three years ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's on the team. He's a capable underneath player. But he isn't the deep threat that the Packers lack.

In Nelson's case, I see him leaving via retirement, not money reasons. He expressed this offseason that he might not play as long as people expect. He's dealing with a lot of nagging injuries. And while he's still great, his game is starting to slow down. He wins more with savvy and intelligence than athleticism at this point.

I do not expect that Cobb, at 29, will leave a team with Aaron Rodgers and light up the field. He's been a ~10 YPR guy for going on three years now. He could help someone else, but I personally would not invest a 3rd contract in him.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2nd round WR's from Cali tend to be number 1's though

sorry if I offended anyone

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fully happened yet, but Adams will likely be the top option over Nelson by next year. They’re also better in different spots. Nobody in the league in the last decade has been better at the back shoulder sideline route and catches than Nelson. Not many are as much of a threat in the red zone - and I think Adams is learning a lot in that area from Nelson.

I like the future of this receiving corps as long as they pay Adams what he’s earned. And I don’t see them letting him go. But I also think that, similar to Cobb, Adams would be willing to take a little under what he could get elsewhere in order to stay with AR. That may just be over-optimistic but time will tell.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s fully happened yet, but Adams will likely be the top option over Nelson by next year. They’re also better in different spots. Nobody in the league in the last decade has been better at the back shoulder sideline route and catches than Nelson. Not many are as much of a threat in the red zone - and I think Adams is learning a lot in that area from Nelson.

I like the future of this receiving corps as long as they pay Adams what he’s earned. And I don’t see them letting him go. But I also think that, similar to Cobb, Adams would be willing to take a little under what he could get elsewhere in order to stay with AR. That may just be over-optimistic but time will tell.

idk

We've seen Adams get his "chance" without Jordy

Cobb and Adams are really just "really good number 2's", neither is a true "number 1" in my opinion
If Jordy goes down(hopefully not), we can see how Adams can performs with him out for extended length of time ago to reassess if he's a "number 1"

So yeah, Jordy is still the number 1

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
idk

We've seen Adams get his "chance" without Jordy

Cobb and Adams are really just "really good number 2's", neither is a true "number 1" in my opinion
If Jordy goes down(hopefully not), we can see how Adams can performs with him out for extended length of time ago to reassess if he's a "number 1"

So yeah, Jordy is still the number 1
My only issue with that is Adams’ “chance” you’re mentioning was him playing almost an entire season on a sprained ankle as a sophomore to the league in an overall injury plagued offense. Yeah, that was a dissappointing year, but I don’t think it’s fair to hold that against him in the present. He’s healthier and has more experience under his belt. Obviously we agree that he isn’t quite #1 yet, but I don’t believe he’s a true #2 either - he’d be #1 on most teams in the league. We just happen to have a guy named Jordy that’s pretty good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I do see Adams overtaking Nelson as the #1 option among the WR's, I don't think he's an ideal WR1 in a great passing offense. I think, ideally, they'd find another guy to play that role, or at least provide a "1a, 1b" scenario.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What's that?

Something similar to our situation right now-- neither Jordy nor Adams are really a defined "#1" over the other. As opposed to a situation like Atlanta or New York (G) where one receiver is head and shoulders above everyone else. I don't think Adams should be counted on to be that type of #1, but he could be a great #2 or great in his current role as one of two top receivers that aren't really separated from one another.

D

Deleted member 6794

My two cents.. Cobb is gone after this season.

I'm surprised that there still seem to be Packers fans that want Cobb gone after this season as it has been pretty obvious early this season that he's an important part of the team's passing offense.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that there still seem to be Packers fans that want Cobb gone after this season as it has been pretty obvious early this season that he's an important part of the team's passing offense.

I did not say I wanted him gone, I think he will be gone... For money reasons, I just do not see him being in the offense more than 2 years...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

The pattern of past years with this FO seems to indicate that almost all good players get 2nd contracts, but players need to be special to merit a 3rd. I don't think Cobb is special.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Who else is in our Offence? Discounting AR & Jordy, only Adams and Cobb stand out amongst the rest.

Not counting the line? Sure...

But you can't hold on to the same players forever. Cobb will be 29 entering 2020. He's been oft injured. I think you'd be better off trying to find a good, young replacement this offseason and letting him walk.