Harrell to DE

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell might move to end of the line
By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Green Bay - Even if Justin Harrell can overcome the back injury that has plagued him for almost a year, there's a good chance he won't be playing defensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers next season.

Harrell, who had two back surgeries last year and was put on injured reserve late in the season after the pain flared up again, fits the mold of a defensive end in the new 3-4 defense. At 6 feet 4 inches and 320 pounds, he doesn't quite have the size and low center of gravity of a 3-4 nose tackle.

"I'm going to have to watch more of him," defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said Tuesday during a meet-and-greet with the new defensive staff. "Now I know New England has (Vince) Wilfork and Pittsburgh has (Casey) Hampton. Those are bigger guys in there.

"So you'd probably look at him - again, it's early on it now - but you'd probably look at him as an end-type person."

Wilfork is listed at 6-2, 325 pounds but probably weighs much more. The 6-1 Hampton is listed at 325 but weighs 340, a team official said.

In the Packers’ 3-4 defense, the ends aren’t responsible for two gaps and so they can get upfield quickly. But they also often eat up blockers so the linebackers playing behind them can make tackles.

According to coach Mike McCarthy, Harrell is in town working out and rehabilitating his back. Surgery was an option but it has been ruled out for now.

"The doctors want to go the rehab route," McCarthy said.

Trgovac said he’d like to see what Harrell, a first-round pick in 2007 from Tennessee, could do in this defense.

"He’s a talented kid,” Trgovac said. "If he can stay healthy. . . . He’s had some injury problems when he was at Tennessee, but he’s a very talented player."

If Harrell could stay healthy he might have a chance to make an impact...but I have my doubts he will ever stay healthy.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem that I see with this is that the linemen in the 3-4 scheme need to be team players who don't care too much about stats or glory. These players eat up space, play the run, and rarely get sacks. I don't think Harrell is that type of person. His ego may be too big to play the system. I hope he proves me wrong because he was the #1 rated DT in the draft two years ago. You don't achieve that ranking without having A LOT OF SKILL. I hope he stays healthy, plays within the system, and has a real impact.

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you get the idea that Harrell has a big ego? According to Jason Wilde who is one of the guys that covers the Packers solely has said that he is very humble and has expressed his apologies for not being able to produce for the Pack because of injuries. From everything that I have heard he is a very centered guy that truly feels bad for not being able to live up to his draft spot and is trying extremely hard to get back into action and be the beast that he was at Tenn early on.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw some interviews of him. I think he's allways in his slippers, and don't know if he has talent, but he's VERY humble. Actually, in the interviews, he seems to be somewhat naive...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
boisenjm said:
Where did you get the idea that Harrell has a big ego?

Ditto on this comment. Big ego? What evidence supports that assertion?

I like the fact that he continues to work hard. I'm still not convinced that recovery from so many surgeries is in the cards for Justin. Kudos for all the hard work he continues to put in. I like that he's staying in GB & not somewhere else.

As much as I doubt the guy will ever be effective in the NFL, no one is rooting harder for him to succeed than me. Never give up! :yes: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TRASH HIM!!! IT WAS A CRAPPY PIC FROM THE BEGININNG!! it must be nice for him to come out and say after getting drafted and signed to say "I havnt felt good since high school." sounds like to me hes enjoying sittin on his *** and makin money.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgersfan1985 said:
TRASH HIM!!! IT WAS A CRAPPY PIC FROM THE BEGININNG!! it must be nice for him to come out and say after getting drafted and signed to say "I havnt felt good since high school." sounds like to me hes enjoying sittin on his *** and makin money.

No Rodgersfan1985, he is not sitting on his ***. He is in Green Bay working hard
on rehabing.

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell was the bust of the draft and with nagging injuries isn't going anywhere. Players with bad backs can try and rehab all they want but it always catches up with them

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big_Dog said:
Harrell was the bust of the draft and with nagging injuries isn't going anywhere. Players with bad backs can try and rehab all they want but it always catches up with them

Exactly, now what happened to him is unfortunate but its time to let him go or at least put him on the IR if hes not better by next season oh and, I gotta good feelin that one of these draft picks we'll get this year is prolly just goona take his job anyway, lets just hope teddy boy can pick a dude that wont get hurt ALL THE TIME haha

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With one more note, If we get a big time FA such as haynesworth peppers or suggs. We could very well see harrell gone anyway right?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Big_Dog said:

Kris Jenkins wal allways injured, and played very well for the Jets. Like I said, I don't know if Harrel has any talent, but in modern medicine, to say a 24 years old is injured for life is plain dumb, unless you are Harrell's physician...

Members online

Latest posts