Hackett Fired

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched Denver to know the "why" or "how" he was awful. as we all should have learned many times over, the end result isn't always indicative of individual ability. Wilson does have a pretty good track record though, so the "why" is he being awful would be important to know.
I think all the running/running around and getting hammered has taken it's toll. Without his superior mobility Wilson is average.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sounds like MLF is thinking about possibly bringing him back. Where would that leave Stenavich? I never really liked moving Stenavich from OL coach to OC and that was confirmed this year with the way the offense played. Granted, the offense had its own problems with the OL and receiving group, but I would rather have Hackett back and if Stenavich would go back to being the OL coach and Luke Butkus is out. The OL wasn't all that impressive this year either and that is taking into account Bahk and Jenkins missing some of the season.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like MLF is thinking about possibly bringing him back. Where would that leave Stenavich? I never really liked moving Stenavich from OL coach to OC and that was confirmed this year with the way the offense played. Granted, the offense had its own problems with the OL and receiving group, but I would rather have Hackett back and if Stenavich would go back to being the OL coach and Luke Butkus is out. The OL wasn't all that impressive this year either and that is taking into account Bahk and Jenkins missing some of the season.
AFAIK...it sounded like while he would be open to bringing back Hackett, MLF made it sound like Stenavich's role wouldn't be changing either? So I'm not really sure what role that would leave for Hackett at the moment.
I'd agree tho that it seems like Stenavich was a regression for us at OC though, so I don't know exactly. Although as far as I know LaFleur has still been the one calling offensive plays the whole time...but in that regard he also said he'd be open to considering giving that up? I don't know. Between MLF as HC, Stenavich as OC, and potentially Hackett as some sort of Co-coordinator or assistant OC or offensive playcaller or whatever it would be...feels like a "Too many cooks spoil the broth" type of situation could be brewing...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally I think if you bring him back it is as an overseer assistant type. MLF has debated not doing play calling and perhaps Hackett could take some of the overall weight from MLF and keep him on playcalling as I don't think we have a better playcaller on staff than MLF (right or wrong that that is the case depending on someone's opinion)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I think if you bring him back it is as an overseer assistant type. MLF has debated not doing play calling and perhaps Hackett could take some of the overall weight from MLF and keep him on playcalling as I don't think we have a better playcaller on staff than MLF (right or wrong that that is the case depending on someone's opinion)
are you guys forgetting what Denver's offense looked like this year?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if we want to mix things up I'd rather see Kingsbury here in some capacity personally.

Reaction score
I’d like to bring Hackett back and add a reasonable priced veteran RT/RG similar to what we’ve done over the last several seasons.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
are you guys forgetting what Denver's offense looked like this year?
Are you forgetting what the Green Bay offense looked like with him as OC in the 3 years he had the job? I get your skepticism, but being a HC is much different than just being an OC. He seems to have failed in Denver as a HC, but I also think the Broncos can figure out other reasons for their failures this year.

We see it a lot in the NFL, a successful coach is promoted to a higher level and fails, this doesn't mean he isn't good at his old job or perhaps another job, just means he failed his new position.

Hackett is only 43 years old, he has plenty of career left to eventually give HC another shot.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind one bit bringing back Hackett as OC (non-playcalling) and "shifting" Stenavich back to OL/Run game coordinator. Butkus' OL this year didn't impress me, so go back to what worked before. Hackett won't get another sniff at HC for 3-5 years so MLF gets his coaching continuity.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have not watched Denver much. It's just hard for me to believe that Wilson has totally lost it. There must be a real problem on the O line imho. No QB can play well with a bad O line.
Watched several Denver games this year. In Packerland, we've had problems with "good" Rodgers and "bad" Rodgers and never really knowing which one would show up. Well, there really hasn't been a "good" Wilson at all this year. He doesn't see open receivers, particularly over the middle. His legs are no longer a weapon he can rely on much. His downfield accuracy is nowhere near where it used to be. He misses open receivers regularly. And he's paid almost as much as Rodgers.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the Stenavich promotion was to keep him from leaving. He was getting offers if memory serves. If they could find a way to keep him happy going back to OL coach that would be great.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sometimes it is best to just let coaches go, instead of promoting them to a job that they might not be cut out for. Wasn't impressed with the OL (coached by Luke Butkus) and wasn't impressed with the overall offense. I would rather they bring in a new OC and try to keep Stenavich as an OL coach and whatever other title they need to give him, along with the Money he is happy with.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
both offense in general, flow, play selections etc seemed odd many times throughout the season. coupled with a regression in Oline play despite having more experience among the players and getting 2 all pros off injury back.

I'd say those moves didn't work out. When you promote from within and there isn't big change in personnel on the field or philosophy in general, the transition should be fairly seemless or at least seem to blend pretty well after just a couple weeks of play.

It never seemed to for this team and that's a problem that will persist I think if they keep the status quo.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As we discuss whether we'd like Hackett back to help the offense another name might be another MLF?

Mike LaFleur just got fired by the Jets because he couldn't turn-around that pathetic group. Wonder if GB will consider bringing him in to talk?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As we discuss whether we'd like Hackett back to help the offense another name might be another MLF?

Mike LaFleur just got fired by the Jets because he couldn't turn-around that pathetic group. Wonder if GB will consider bringing him in to talk?
I don't know a ton about Matt's brother, but seems to me he might have been promoted to an OC a bit too quick when he rode Saleh's coattails to New York. Shanahan even took one of his jobs away from Mike when he was the 49'ers passing coordinator and WR coach, reducing him just to the PC.

Hard to distinguish whether Mike wasn't a good OC or as you said, not much you can do with a dumpster fire of an organization.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts